Axle upgrade on budget ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Axle upgrade on budget ?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
cgseanp

Axle upgrade on budget ?

Is there any benefit to just swapping out the axle shafts on the d35? I don't feel i have the know how to install any kind of axle that requires any modifying, so the 8.8 and all others would be out, except maybe the super d35 but that doesn't seem to be the way to go, plus it's not cheap. How much labor would be involved to have a shop install a 8.8?

cgseanp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Aside from basic mechanical skills an 8.8 swap only requires some welding. The trick to making it the most inexpensive and simple is to find one, or a matching front and rear axle set with the same gears.

Make friends with some local jeepers
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
cgseanp

Well i guess I have basic mechanic skills but welding isn't one of them.. Swapping an axle is probably more than I'd like to do but id attempt it. I do need to make some local Jeep friends
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

There's no point in just swapping out the axle shafts in the 35 unless you go to the 30 spline axle. To do this you would also need a 30 spline Detroit locker, or tru-trac, some carrier that would except the 30 spline axles. So then you have the super 35 and the cost.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgseanp View Post
Well i guess I have basic mechanic skills but welding isn't one of them..
Many have just taken the axle in to a welder to have it welded up for them and did the install themselves. I think this would be cheaper (and stronger) for you.
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
cgseanp

East coast gear supply sells the 8.8.with spring perches and shock mounts already welded. Would this be a direct bolt in? Could have complete setup delivered for about 900...
Unread 07-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
flashy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I checked it out and it looks like a direct bolt in. I paid $150 for my 8.8 but I have prolly 30+ hours into cutting off the old stuff, cleaning it up welding the new stuff back on and painting.

94 YJ slightly modified

00 WJ stock
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

East coast gear is a good option, everyone seems happy with their stuff.

But, in YJ-land it's not budget.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I agree. An 8.8 or d44 swap would be Easy. Just make a friend who can weld. Research. Go to a junkyard get a decent axle for like 200 bucks. Buy a case of beer and install it in a weekend.

It's acfually pretty straight forward.

Sent from my phone because I'm doing something "more important"

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #10
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Having a shop install a properly geared 8.8 is going to be significantly less than having them just install a super 35 kit. The money for the junkyard axle is beans compared to the cost of upgrading that pos axle the jeep came with.
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojab View Post

Many have just taken the axle in to a welder to have it welded up for them and did the install themselves. I think this would be cheaper (and stronger) for you.
This.

Get an axle for cheap. Take it to a weld shop tell them where you want the Perches and shock mounts. Get it back. Bolt it in and drive.

You drive a YJ. That means you don't just go out and buy some fancy kit and bolt it in. We work for it. Trust me you put in the hard work now. Learn some things. And you will be thanking me later on.

I know it sounds uncomprehensible to swap a rear axle. Yes. There are things to account for. But if you research and ask questions you will be surprised what you can accomplish. Trust me

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #12
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you want it done cheap your going to have to get dirty and put some blood sweat and tears into it.

Unread 07-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #13
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo3489 View Post
This.

Get an axle for cheap. Take it to a weld shop tell them where you want the Perches and shock mounts. Get it back. Bolt it in and drive.

You drive a YJ. That means you don't just go out and buy some fancy kit and bolt it in. We work for it. Trust me you put in the hard work now. Learn some things. And you will be thanking me later on.

I know it sounds uncomprehensible to swap a rear axle. Yes. There are things to account for. But if you research and ask questions you will be surprised what you can accomplish. Trust me

This method doesn't seem conducive to setting the pinion angle correctly. Why wouldn't they just install it the rest of the way for you to drive off?
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #14
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post

This method doesn't seem conducive to setting the pinion angle correctly. Why wouldn't they just install it the rest of the way for you to drive off?
How about buying a little welder tacking the Perches and mounts on then taking it in to get burnt on?

Or as you stated just have them do it for you. Although I frown apron that approach.

Unread 07-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #15
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'll just add one thing often over looked when talking about up-grading a D35 in any, way, shape or form. The tubes are thin and weak. Prone to bending/flexing, which is another reason shafts/gears fail regardless of spline count. Something to think about.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.