JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Axle upgrade on budget ? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/axle-upgrade-budget-1549678/)

cgseanp 07-16-2013 09:13 AM

Axle upgrade on budget ?

Is there any benefit to just swapping out the axle shafts on the d35? I don't feel i have the know how to install any kind of axle that requires any modifying, so the 8.8 and all others would be out, except maybe the super d35 but that doesn't seem to be the way to go, plus it's not cheap. How much labor would be involved to have a shop install a 8.8?

jbolty 07-16-2013 09:19 AM

Aside from basic mechanical skills an 8.8 swap only requires some welding. The trick to making it the most inexpensive and simple is to find one, or a matching front and rear axle set with the same gears.

Make friends with some local jeepers

cgseanp 07-16-2013 09:36 AM

Well i guess I have basic mechanic skills but welding isn't one of them.. Swapping an axle is probably more than I'd like to do but id attempt it. I do need to make some local Jeep friends

wendell 07-16-2013 10:21 AM

There's no point in just swapping out the axle shafts in the 35 unless you go to the 30 spline axle. To do this you would also need a 30 spline Detroit locker, or tru-trac, some carrier that would except the 30 spline axles. So then you have the super 35 and the cost.

cojab 07-16-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgseanp (Post 15682723)
Well i guess I have basic mechanic skills but welding isn't one of them..

Many have just taken the axle in to a welder to have it welded up for them and did the install themselves. I think this would be cheaper (and stronger) for you.

cgseanp 07-16-2013 12:39 PM

East coast gear supply sells the 8.8.with spring perches and shock mounts already welded. Would this be a direct bolt in? Could have complete setup delivered for about 900...

flashy 07-16-2013 12:52 PM

I checked it out and it looks like a direct bolt in. I paid $150 for my 8.8 but I have prolly 30+ hours into cutting off the old stuff, cleaning it up welding the new stuff back on and painting.

jbolty 07-16-2013 01:25 PM

East coast gear is a good option, everyone seems happy with their stuff.

But, in YJ-land it's not budget. :laugh:

rambo3489 07-16-2013 10:00 PM

I agree. An 8.8 or d44 swap would be Easy. Just make a friend who can weld. Research. Go to a junkyard get a decent axle for like 200 bucks. Buy a case of beer and install it in a weekend.

It's acfually pretty straight forward.

Sent from my phone because I'm doing something "more important"

Anticanman 07-16-2013 10:01 PM

Having a shop install a properly geared 8.8 is going to be significantly less than having them just install a super 35 kit. The money for the junkyard axle is beans compared to the cost of upgrading that pos axle the jeep came with.

rambo3489 07-16-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cojab (Post 15682963)

Many have just taken the axle in to a welder to have it welded up for them and did the install themselves. I think this would be cheaper (and stronger) for you.

This.

Get an axle for cheap. Take it to a weld shop tell them where you want the Perches and shock mounts. Get it back. Bolt it in and drive.

You drive a YJ. That means you don't just go out and buy some fancy kit and bolt it in. We work for it. Trust me you put in the hard work now. Learn some things. And you will be thanking me later on.

I know it sounds uncomprehensible to swap a rear axle. Yes. There are things to account for. But if you research and ask questions you will be surprised what you can accomplish. Trust me

rambo3489 07-16-2013 10:10 PM

If you want it done cheap your going to have to get dirty and put some blood sweat and tears into it.

Anticanman 07-16-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo3489 (Post 15685769)
This.

Get an axle for cheap. Take it to a weld shop tell them where you want the Perches and shock mounts. Get it back. Bolt it in and drive.

You drive a YJ. That means you don't just go out and buy some fancy kit and bolt it in. We work for it. Trust me you put in the hard work now. Learn some things. And you will be thanking me later on.

I know it sounds uncomprehensible to swap a rear axle. Yes. There are things to account for. But if you research and ask questions you will be surprised what you can accomplish. Trust me

This method doesn't seem conducive to setting the pinion angle correctly. Why wouldn't they just install it the rest of the way for you to drive off?

rambo3489 07-16-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anticanman (Post 15685779)

This method doesn't seem conducive to setting the pinion angle correctly. Why wouldn't they just install it the rest of the way for you to drive off?

How about buying a little welder tacking the Perches and mounts on then taking it in to get burnt on?

Or as you stated just have them do it for you. Although I frown apron that approach.

RockWoRM 07-16-2013 10:18 PM

I'll just add one thing often over looked when talking about up-grading a D35 in any, way, shape or form. The tubes are thin and weak. Prone to bending/flexing, which is another reason shafts/gears fail regardless of spline count. Something to think about.

WRM :cheers:

The time now is 03:42 AM.