axle u joint??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > axle u joint???

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
media88
1994 YJ Wrangler 

axle u joint???

I have searched and read most of threads but they are all hit or miss ( the ones I found ) in four wheel drive I get a lot of grinding/creaking from what I thought was the tc but my friend said the front passenger wheel so I did the cut wheel test and when turning hard left the passenger wheel makes a wierd sound but not the opposite way. U joint bearing hub what could this be?

1994 JEEP WRANGLER YJ, 4.0 AX-15, DANA 30/35 STOCK GEARS, 4 INCH SKY JACKER LIFT KIT, T-CASE DROP, 32X11.50 DUNLOP MUD ROVERS ON BLACK RIMS, CHROME EVERYWHERE, CLEAR CORNERS, WHITE GAUGES, RHINO LINED INTERIOR,FRAME AND TUB, FRESH MOTOR CLUTCH AND TRANS, 236K ON THE BODY!!!
media88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Could be the ujoint. The hub bearing is going to turn either way. Take the wheel off and poke around. Take some pictures.
Unread 11-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
jcooklock
1990 XJ Cherokee 

My ujoints are bad and they make a huge amount of noise when I'm in 4wd.
by JDNightFox - The terminal velocity of the square headlights is directionally preportional to the force of gravity decelerating the front wheels while the alternator is spinning at 3000 rpm's, minus the friction of the bumper pushing against the airflow with the 13 volt current the steering column is using during the time the vacuum motor is disengaged, but the mirrors must be directionally angled from the driver's window because the hood latches deflect the light refractioning down through the Nitrogen coat on the hood.
jcooklock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
19renegade91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ya if its in4wd its u joints clickin n cracking
19renegade91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 05:19 AM   #5
media88
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It's like grinding and banging when I cut the wheel to left in two wheel but not to the right and there is no rubbing
1994 JEEP WRANGLER YJ, 4.0 AX-15, DANA 30/35 STOCK GEARS, 4 INCH SKY JACKER LIFT KIT, T-CASE DROP, 32X11.50 DUNLOP MUD ROVERS ON BLACK RIMS, CHROME EVERYWHERE, CLEAR CORNERS, WHITE GAUGES, RHINO LINED INTERIOR,FRAME AND TUB, FRESH MOTOR CLUTCH AND TRANS, 236K ON THE BODY!!!
Unread 11-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by media88 View Post
It's like grinding and banging when I cut the wheel to left in two wheel but not to the right and there is no rubbing
That sounds more like tie rod ends or ball joints to me. If it's the u-joint, and it's making that much noise, you should be able to clearly see the problem without pulling anything off.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
media88
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yea I have no play at all by hand in any of the shafts I do head a slight clicking sometime though
Unread 11-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If all you were having was clicking, I'd jump right on the u-joint wagon.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #9
media88
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so I poked around. Didn't jack the jeep up but that test I did cutting the wheel huge funk it was my tire hitting the fender I drove around in four wheel without cutting the wheel too hard and no noise. My friend said when he heard it was def a metallic sound. I'm gonna do some play testing haha tommorow in the mud. Anyone have a test to see what this is. Everything is nice and secure by hand nothing was loose or had any play.
Unread 11-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
19renegade91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

driveshaft ujoint its hard to tell when they are bad with out taking it out the dribeshafy is hollow and will echo the noise everywhere so u have a hard job locating it.. rear driveshaft. mine was literally desrltroyed and it had no play with using your hands
Unread 11-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
19renegade91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19renegade91
driveshaft ujoint its hard to tell when they are bad with out taking it out the dribeshafy is hollow and will echo the noise everywhere so u have a hard job locating it.. rear driveshaft. mine was literally desrltroyed and it had no play with using your hands
ujoint was destroyed and the driveshaft had no play with human muscle... but the torque of jeep will kill u joint
Unread 11-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #12
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The clicking/popping while turning sounds like u-joint, in 4wd test it out in a dirt/gravel parking lot. Usually, but not always, a bad ujoint can be seen while wheels are turned.

Coasting down a hill (with clutch pushed in) turn slightly from side to side....listen for clicking/popping...then it may be the wheel bearing hub.

If you jack the wheel off the ground, try lifting the wheel straight up and down, feeling/looking for play.....ball joints.(may need a 2x4 or some type of pry bar for this test)

When it's lifted, play in all directions....may be wheel bearing hub.
Unread 11-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #13
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19renegade91 View Post
ujoint was destroyed and the driveshaft had no play with human muscle... but the torque of jeep will kill u joint
stranger things often happen. when doing a rebuild i pulled my rear shaft to find the first ujoint in the cv broken. no vibrations or anything. who knows how long ive been driving on it like that.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.