Axle swaps? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Axle swaps?

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 02-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
gfd66
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Axle swaps?

Started talking to a couple of jeep guys up here and they mentioned to me that I might want to look into "full width" axles but then did not elaborate. Any ideas what they were talking about? Also, while I'm in the subject, what gears do you guys think I should be running with 35's? The jeep becomes a dog in 5th gear and I think that the diffs are stock.

Unread 02-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I believe those would be axles from a full sized truck. Dana 60s, etc.
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Full width isn't "street legal" and doesn't fit most trail where I'm at.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Search for the infinite explorer 8.8 swap threads out there.
Unread 02-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #5
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

Your profile says you're in a 4.2, so you've likely got 3.53 or 3.07 gearing now. You want to find a front axle from a 4 cylinder YJ. They're equipped with 4.10 ratio from the factory, and will bolt in. Then you want to find a rear Explorer axle like Misfit says. They're also available in 4.10 ratio from the factory. They're almost a bolt in. Do a search for "YJ 8.8 swap"... it's been done 100's of times. There's one in the back of mine, and a bonus upgrade to rear disc brakes.
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Concur with others. 8.8 here. Fun swap. Find a friend who can weld on some new perches and you'll be good to go.
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #7
modfox
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes 8.8 here also.

You can have it done in a day with someone that can weld. Very nice upgrade!
modfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
gfd66
1990 YJ Wrangler 

OK, Thanks for all of the info. I've got feelers out for the axles recommended. Not a lot of good boneyards around me though. I've got a good hour + in any direction to try to find Jeep or "can be used on a Jeep" parts. Are there particular markings on the axles that are running 4:10 gears?
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfd66 View Post
OK, Thanks for all of the info. I've got feelers out for the axles recommended. Not a lot of good boneyards around me though. I've got a good hour + in any direction to try to find Jeep or "can be used on a Jeep" parts. Are there particular markings on the axles that are running 4:10 gears?
ratio tags on the diff cover if still attached or pull the cover and count the teeth on ring and pinion. Look at stamp on ring gear
JeepinJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.