axle seals - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > axle seals

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

axle seals

So my right front axle seal is leaking. I found like 5 different seals. Any idea which ones i need? I prefer using Quadratec. I might as well do both the right and left. Any other things I should do or look at while I have the axle torn apart? How big is this job? What am I in for?

Unread 04-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
Dake

1991 YJ Wrangler 

That the easyer side to fix http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...ana30-1275608/
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 05:50 AM   #3
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Does it make sense to do both at the same time? What about doing the bearings while I am there?
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The right front seal is not a hard job, but is frustrating because getting access and getting the seal in straight is a chore; buy a couple extra. As for the drivers side, you need to remove both axles and the carrier to change that one; leave it alone unless it's leaking.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
The right front seal is not a hard job, but is frustrating because getting access and getting the seal in straight is a chore; buy a couple extra. As for the drivers side, you need to remove both axles and the carrier to change that one; leave it alone unless it's leaking.
Good advise.

Buy three seals in case you wreck them. Expect it. You can return the seals that you do not use.

Do a search on replacing the front seals. It is a frustrating job but very doable.

If you see any leaking on the driver side now will be the time to replace it. If no leaking just leave it alone.

If you do have to replace the driver side seal now would be a good time to throw in a Aussie Locker.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. I will just do the passenger side. But great thinking on the Aussie. Since I have to remove the gears anyway, might as well!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.