Axle Ratio Help - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 04-19-2012, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
87yjrad
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 66
Axle Ratio Help

I have changed out the old Peugeot tranny to an AX15 and matched that up to a NP231 transfer case. Now my axle gearing is way too high. I have 3.09:1. The ratio calculators I have found
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
with 33" tires say a 4.10:1 ration would be just about right. I found front and rear axles off a 95 YJ, Dana 30 and 35. They should bolt right up. The guy says they are 4.10 ratio but how do I verify that. His price is right and this is a cheap way to change out my gearing. Please don't tell me to go to a different axle I'm not ready to do that. I just want to get my gearing where it should be and this is the cheapest way to do it. I wrote down the numbers as best I could off the D30 tag, but can't find a way to identify them. I have to make sure of the ratio before I buy them.

52068372
10610461

those are the numbers off the d30 tag. Does anyone know how to read them? or is there another way to do it without pulling the cap?

Thanks!

87yjrad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 04-19-2012, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
87yjrad
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 66
okay, so I just found an old thread, took me a while. Says if the engine was 2.5L 4 cyl, which it was and has manual tranny which it did, then the axle ratios will be 4.10. Auto tranny was 3.73. Cool, so it looks like these axles will get me right where I want to be.

So as far as the spring perches, shock mounts, brake lines and everything else they should match right up? Right?
87yjrad is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 04-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear
 
Mean Max's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 13,734
Your search results are correct. The 2.5L manual shift YJs had 4.10 gears.

Max


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline  
 
post #4 of 23 Old 05-01-2012, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
87yjrad
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 66
a little more help guys. I bought the d30 and d35 from the guy who said they were 4.10. So I pulled the covers off both. The front D30 ring gear is stamped P8L164 41 10. The rear D35 is stamped P8L821 37 9.

Does that mean I have two different gear ratios? That won't work will it? Dang it.....
87yjrad is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 05-01-2012, 08:02 AM
RowJ
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas/OK Border
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87yjrad View Post
a little more help guys. I bought the d30 and d35 from the guy who said they were 4.10. So I pulled the covers off both. The front D30 ring gear is stamped P8L164 41 10. The rear D35 is stamped P8L821 37 9.

Does that mean I have two different gear ratios? That won't work will it? Dang it.....
Means ring teeth and pinion teeth count.....
Different gearing won't work, but not sure you have different.

RJ
RowJ is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 05-01-2012, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
87yjrad
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 66
sorry guys, I'm still learing

41 / 10= 4.10

37 / 9= 4.11

I guess they are the same ratios. So because the ring gears are different sizes right? That's why the tooth count is different to get the same ratios?
87yjrad is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 05-01-2012, 11:40 AM
pariah24
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 157
Correct. One axle ratio will always be a little off. 3.54/3.55 4.10/4.11, etc. The reason for the very slight differences in axle ratios like 4.10 and 4.11 is because of the slight ring gear diameter difference between the front and rear axles. It's just not cost effective for the gear manufacturers to try and make the ratio exactly the same since that slight .01 or so difference doesn't affect anything.
pariah24 is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 05-01-2012, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
87yjrad
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 66
Thanks! I'm gonna slap those axles on here soon.
87yjrad is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 05-09-2012, 08:24 AM
voz
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Clayton
Posts: 191
Piggy Backing on this thread..

I just picked up a 8.8 3.73 limited slip rear for my 89, in great condition.
Question. I just spent alot of money on the front, hub bearing, tie rods , ball joints etc..

what re-gearing kit {if such a thing) is needed to get my front at 3.73 gearing..

Thanks in advance..

VOZ™
voz is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 05-09-2012, 08:50 PM
94chb
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Whitwell
Posts: 1,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87yjrad View Post
I have changed out the old Peugeot tranny to an AX15 and matched that up to a NP231 transfer case. Now my axle gearing is way too high. I have 3.09:1. The ratio calculators I have found
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
with 33" tires say a 4.10:1 ration would be just about right. I found front and rear axles off a 95 YJ, Dana 30 and 35. They should bolt right up. The guy says they are 4.10 ratio but how do I verify that. His price is right and this is a cheap way to change out my gearing. Please don't tell me to go to a different axle I'm not ready to do that. I just want to get my gearing where it should be and this is the cheapest way to do it. I wrote down the numbers as best I could off the D30 tag, but can't find a way to identify them. I have to make sure of the ratio before I buy them.

52068372
10610461

those are the numbers off the d30 tag. Does anyone know how to read them? or is there another way to do it without pulling the cap?

Thanks!

its 4.10 look at the bottom set of number and in front of that 10610461 (if you clean it more and read) it will be 4.10610461


you can also open the cover up and on the ring gear will say the tooth count Example 40 10 divide the numbers and it will tell your ratio for example its 40/10= 4.10


here is a pic of my Ring gear. see the 41 11 41/11= 3.73

94chb is offline  
post #11 of 23 Old 05-09-2012, 09:58 PM
idskot
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 817
Not to completely thread jack, but I was planning on buying / installing an 8.8 and regearing it to 4.11. My question is, as this is my DD, will I be able to drive around with stock gearing up front as long as I don't put it in 4wd?
idskot is offline  
post #12 of 23 Old 05-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear
 
Mean Max's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 13,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by idskot
Not to completely thread jack, but I was planning on buying / installing an 8.8 and regearing it to 4.11. My question is, as this is my DD, will I be able to drive around with stock gearing up front as long as I don't put it in 4wd?
Definitely.

Pull the front driveshaft out, just to avoid an accidental engagement if you want to.

Max


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 05-10-2012, 06:25 AM
idskot
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Definitely.

Pull the front driveshaft out, just to avoid an accidental engagement if you want to.

Max
Awesome. Thank you, Max.
idskot is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old 05-10-2012, 06:36 AM
gunshw301
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by idskot
Not to completely thread jack, but I was planning on buying / installing an 8.8 and regearing it to 4.11. My question is, as this is my DD, will I be able to drive around with stock gearing up front as long as I don't put it in 4wd?
Be patient and find one with 410 gears from the factory. Don't regear to a ratio that can be found with a little effort, it will save a good deal of money.

F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gunshw301 is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 05-10-2012, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
87yjrad
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 66
wow this thread is going off in all different directions. Okay guys, help me out a little now. I am going to tackle this change over this weekend. I have opened up both axles and drained oil. Both front and back were full of dark gear oil, no leaking seals. Everything looks good. I do need to pull the brake calipers from my existing front axles and move them over to the new axles. They should bolt right up? No changes from 87 to 94 that is going to give me problems?

Also, I will probably be doing this by myself as I do with most everything on my jeep. I have two sets of good axle stands, two good bottle jacks and a light duty, scissor type tranny jack. Anybody have a good way to drop these axles and get the new ones in, one person type of procedure? Thanks for any advice!
87yjrad is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Axle ratio cgbgator TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 5 02-15-2011 12:21 PM
can you tell axle ratio from vin#? monkers TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 15 06-06-2010 09:54 PM
Sahara - Axle locker? Axle ratio? Meir10 JK Wrangler Technical Forum 8 02-25-2007 02:15 PM
Axle Ratio CyBerAliEn JK Wrangler Technical Forum 11 01-20-2007 09:57 AM
What is 3.73:1 Axle Ratio??? jaguar18 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 3 03-16-2004 03:10 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome