Axle Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Axle Questions

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread Yesterday, 04:08 PM   #1
Hayden_S
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Axle Questions

Found a good deal on a dana 30 and 35 with 4.10 gears out of an 89. I'm looking to put them in my 87 because I have a bent axle shaft. I can pick both of these up for the price of what it will cost me to replace my bent axle shaft. So I would be solving the problem of the bent axle, as well as upgrading to the 4.10 gears. Just wondering if everything should bolt right in. U joints and everything else the same size? I realize the dana 35 is a weakpoint but don't have the money to go with an 8.8 or 44

Hayden_S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 05:25 PM   #2
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden_S View Post
Found a good deal on a dana 30 and 35 with 4.10 gears out of an 89. I'm looking to put them in my 87 because I have a bent axle shaft. I can pick both of these up for the price of what it will cost me to replace my bent axle shaft. So I would be solving the problem of the bent axle, as well as upgrading to the 4.10 gears. Just wondering if everything should bolt right in. U joints and everything else the same size? I realize the dana 35 is a weakpoint but don't have the money to go with an 8.8 or 44
Should be a direct swap. I think 95 was the only different year where they went to larger Ujoints on the front axle.
Unread Yesterday, 07:14 PM   #3
1320yj

The 94-95 does have a larger U-joint but there is an adapter U-joint available that has one side of the cross smaller than the other side.
The joint is readily available at most auto parts stores.
Unread Yesterday, 08:40 PM   #4
Hayden_S
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies. Probably gonna jump on them then. Will come to y'all if I have any more questions
Hayden_S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 09:05 AM   #5
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

This would also be a good time to replace the center pins and u-bolts, shackle bushings. Change out the gear oil, etc. We are talking a 25 year old Jeep. May as well start fresh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 02:39 PM   #6
stumper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

87 thru 89 Dana axles have different brakes 1990 thru 95 where the same. The earlier Dana 35 has different calipers because of a two piece knuckle bracket I believe the difference is where the brake hose enters the caliper and the 30 has larger diameter drums.
stumper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 07:52 PM   #7
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

@stumper: Dana 30 doesn't have drums... D35 does but I believe the shoe and drum are wider but diameter is the same regardless of shoe width iirc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.