Axle question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Axle question?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
rockcop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Axle question?

What year(s) explorer 8.8 axle will fit without modification under a YJ? How can I tell what gear ratio is in my axles without removing the rear cover? Thanks. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

rockcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcop
What year(s) explorer 8.8 axle will fit without modification under a YJ? How can I tell what gear ratio is in my axles without removing the rear cover? Thanks. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.
These are all really common questions which have been answered thousands of times before. I, respectfully, suggest you try the search.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
rockcop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm lazy and find it easier to just ask. LOL. Point taken. I'm new to the forum And have searched. I am looking for confirmation and thought I would throw the axle question in while asking the ratio question.
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If there is no tag on the diff cover anymore then I would do the following.

Jack up the rear end, transmission in neutral, rotate the tire one rotation and count how many times the driveshaft rotates.

The number of driveahaft rotations to one wheel rotation is your gear ratio.

OR

Count the ring gear and pinion gear teeth. Divide to get gear ratio.

And the 8.8 will need you to reweld the perches to do it right. They aren't bolt in. Lots of threads on this topic. Should be able to find all the info ya need in a couple min. It's definitely a pretty easy swap. 95+ is the desireable years because of disk brakes

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
Xpress
Not enough Lumens...

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Exploder 8.8's aren't bolt in. There are companies that weld on new perches and stuff, but otherwise stock 8.8's aren't bolt in.
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the RIGHT of the people to keep and bear Arms, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
rockcop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If I get a older axle with drums, is it as simple as remounting perches?
Unread 11-24-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well, there have been guys that simply bolted them in, but I wouldn't go that route. Perches are cheap, grind the stock stuff off and weld new ones on were they need to be, plus shock tabs, that about covers the welding, everything else from there is pretty easy. The differences in brakes really have no bearing on install.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 01:39 AM   #8
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Use the search box at the upper left of the screen. Using the search tool located on the middle-right just doesn't give as much info. When I figured that out I got better results.
Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 01:57 AM   #9
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

WE just answered everything a couple posts below yours.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rear-1291374/
94chb is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.