Axle identification tags question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Axle identification tags question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-26-2008, 09:02 AM   #1
spshultz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Axle identification tags question

I just need to verify whether I'm correct or not.

I went out this morning and scraped all the crud off my axle tags.
I think I have 3.54 gears but would like to make sure.

Front tag:
3 54 46-13

Rear tag:
55 605295-6

The Front tag numbers I think I understand (3.54 13/46=3.54). But I don't understand the rear tag number. The Front has to be the same as the back anyway so I'm positive the back is 3.54 also but not sure how to read those numbers. Or are the rear gear ratio numbers somewhere else other than the tag?

Thanks!
Shawn

spshultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
pointech
1994 YJ Wrangler 

According to the Wiki, you either have 3.07 or 3.54 since you have a 6 cylinder. Based on the tag, I would assume you are correct but I don't know for sure. Actually I think the front is 3.54 and rear is 3.55 (close enough that it doesn't hurt your TC).
pointech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Go here to this site.

http://www2.dana.com/expert/wc.dll?cvsp~deabill~2~

This is on Dana's website, and it is the BOM (Bill Of Materials) search that will decode the numbers on your axle. It will tell you EXACTLY how your axle was setup as it was delivered to Jeep for vehicle prodution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #4
spshultz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Cool. Thanks Mean Max. I can find the BOM on the rear. Definitely 3.55. But I can't find anything for the front. And that's OK. I just really just wanted to verify my gear ratio and it's 3.54 Front / 3.55 Rear. And that's good enough. I probably won't go any larger than 31" tires since the speed limit out here is 75 and most everyone does 80.
spshultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 08:45 PM   #5
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spshultz View Post
Cool. Thanks Mean Max. I can find the BOM on the rear. Definitely 3.55. But I can't find anything for the front. And that's OK. I just really just wanted to verify my gear ratio and it's 3.54 Front / 3.55 Rear. And that's good enough. I probably won't go any larger than 31" tires since the speed limit out here is 75 and most everyone does 80.
No problem!

I hear you on the road speed deal. I have 33's on 3.07 gears & I haven't used 5th gear in over 2 years! I top out my speed at about 55 MPH, and although it'll go faster, I don't because my MPG drops off by about a 1/3 over 55!

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 08-04-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
OPlo
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Where can I find the BOM. Here's what I wrote down (after also removing several layers of grease and dirt). I Can't find any matches to these numbers on the Dana site. I'm guessing this is all stock. Some numbers tough to read, may be wrong...

Front Diff
091 6
Rev 0
11-13-85

Rear Diff
40869 - did find this "cover" part on the Dana site.
235 6
Rev C
7-24-85

Also printed vertically on the front differential cover along the left edge
8953003710 - is this the BOM? - Dana site returned 7 results for this number but none of the diff case kits matched mine??
3 54 46 18 (gear ratio again here? i'm betting I mis-read that 13 as an 18. 46/13 = 3.54)

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by OPlo; 08-04-2009 at 12:48 PM..
OPlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2009, 12:01 PM   #7
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPlo View Post
Where can I find the BOM. Here's what I wrote down (after also removing several layers of grease and dirt). I Can't find any matches to these numbers on the Dana site. I'm guessing this is all stock. Some numbers tough to read, may be wrong...

Front Diff
091 6
Rev 0
11-13-85

Rear Diff
40869 - did find this "cover" part on the Dana site.
235 6
Rev C
7-24-85

Also printed vertically on the front differential cover along the left edge
8953003710 - is this the BOM? - Dana site returned 7 results for this number but none of the diff case kits matched mine??
3 54 46 18 (gear ratio again here?)

Thanks for any help.
Looking at the cover side of the axle (rear if rear axle, front if front axle,) you should be able to find the BoM number stamped into the right-hand tube (as you're looking at it.) The BoM number is typically six digits, and should start with a "60" or "61" - with a one- or two-digit suffix appended after the six-digit "basic" BoM.

"8953003710" looks like a ChryCo part number.

Also note that if you have hexagonal rear axle cover, with the hex sitting on a flat side, you won't have a Dana axle. That would be a ChryCo 8.25" axle instead. It's actually not a bad axle, but does suffer from being a C-clip.

Also note that just about all Dana axles will have the model number cast into the reinforcing webs to the tube sockets - so if you have a D35, you should see "35" cast in those locations. If you have "35C," that doesn't necessarily mean C-clip, it simply means "Custom" - which indicates that the axle was not shipped as a whole assembly (it was shipped as a bare housing, final assembly to be done by the vehicle builder.)

The 242ci six typically came with 3.07:1 gearing for the manual transmission (which is wretched) or 3.55:1 gearing for the AW4 automatic (which isn't bad, out to 31" tyres.)
Unread 08-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
OPlo
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
The BoM number is typically six digits, and should start with a "60" or "61" - with a one- or two-digit suffix appended after the six-digit "basic" BoM.
Thanks. I'll look for this (degreaser in hand).

Quote:
"8953003710" looks like a ChryCo part number.)
Is that possible? 87 was still AMC right?

Quote:
Also note that if you have hexagonal rear axle cover, with the hex sitting on a flat side, you won't have a Dana axle. That would be a ChryCo 8.25" axle instead. It's actually not a bad axle, but does suffer from being a C-clip..)
Pretty sure they are both Dana. They both have the Dana diamond shaped logo stamped on them.
Front looks like this: http://www.jeepforum.com/wiki/index.php/Dana_30
Rear looks like this: http://www.jeepforum.com/wiki/index.php/Dana_35

Quote:
Also note that just about all Dana axles will have the model number cast into the reinforcing webs to the tube sockets - so if you have a D35, you should see "35" cast in those locations. If you have "35C," that doesn't necessarily mean C-clip, it simply means "Custom" - which indicates that the axle was not shipped as a whole assembly (it was shipped as a bare housing, final assembly to be done by the vehicle builder.)
Great. I'll look for thses as well.

Quote:
The 242ci six typically came with 3.07:1 gearing for the manual transmission (which is wretched) or 3.55:1 gearing for the AW4 automatic (which isn't bad, out to 31" tyres.)
I have the 258, I6 - 33" tires. Thus I'd like to know what my ratio actually is. From what I'm reading my gear ratio is too high. If I'm just tooling around town I guess I'm OK. 4-wheelin' might be a problem though.

Last edited by OPlo; 08-04-2009 at 12:54 PM..
Unread 08-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #9
OPlo
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Found both BOMs. Had to get out the wire brush.

Front: 610281-3, 3.54 gear ratio
Rear: 605295-7, 3.55 gear ratio

According to the Dana site the gear ratio is slightly different. Is that possible?

Couldn't find the 30 or 35 stamps - but - on the front diff cover, the following was stamped at three corners (facing front of vehicle): lower left: RM, lower right: 3, upper right: 253. Any clue what these are?

Last edited by OPlo; 08-04-2009 at 05:01 PM..
Unread 08-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #10
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPlo View Post
Found both BOMs. Had to get out the wire brush.

Front: 610281-3, 3.54 gear ratio
Rear: 605295-7, 3.55 gear ratio

According to the Dana site the gear ratio is slightly different. Is that possible?

Couldn't find the 30 or 35 stamps - but - on the front diff cover, the following was stamped at three corners (facing front of vehicle): lower left: RM, lower right: 3, upper right: 253. Any clue what these are?
Yep, they can be slightly different. The 2.5L YJ's (most) have 4.11 front & 4.10 rear, IIRC. It's an insignificant amount.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 06-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
weerwolv

1993 YJ Wrangler 

VERY CONFUSED? YJ Brake change vs BOM from Dana online

Hi all,

I have a 1993 YJ Sahara that had 3.07's in it from the factory and ABS brakes.

Purchased what I thought were matching used Dana 30 and 35's from another 4 cylinder YJ that was identified as having a 4.10's

Here is where is get's confusing.

After getting the axles rebuilt I take a hard look at the brakes on the D30 I got from the other YJ vs my original and realize they ARE different. The caliper doesn't look remotely similar. I do a bit of research and find out that the replacement axles have the 87-89 brake setup which is different than what I have and have a BOM of 610323 so they come from from a 1989 setup.

Even more of a confusing problem is the rear axle which appears to be from a 1994 YJ 4 banger and has a BOM of 615661-2.

So I've had both axles gone through by a friend and they are in great shape for what they are.

Is there an issue using the older brake setup with a newer YJ? Everything looks the same except the knuckles, calipers and of course the Vacuum Disconnect cover hookup which I'll need to swap over from my older axle as the line plug is different.

Is this an issue and were the older brakes better than the newer setup or were they just different?

Thanks all.
weerwolv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Why dont you just jack the car up on all fours and chalk the tires and turn the drive shaft? Easy way to tell what gears you have. Look it up on youtube.
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.