Axle or Gear Upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Axle or Gear Upgrade

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

View Poll Results: Which axle/gear option is the most effective but cost effective for a non-welder?
Upgrade the gears in the existing D30/D35 to 4.10 myself. 2 11.76%
Find a D30/D35 from a 2.5 YJ and swap it myself. 5 29.41%
Find TJ axles from yard and pay someone to install 0 0%
Pay someone to install Ford 8.8 from JY and D30 w/4.10 from JY 9 52.94%
Scrap the upgrade and save for a 2011 Rubicon! 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 05-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
photoboy74
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Axle or Gear Upgrade

So I'm trying to plan my upgrade into 33s on my 88 and I'm not sure which way to go. I know I need at least 4.10 gears and I've seen a lot of people state you need a Ford 8.8, but I may only wheel 4 times a year.

Background Information
----------------------------
1. Don't have a welder or access to a welder. Nor have I ever welded.
2. Never done an axle swap.
3. Never done a gear upgrade.
4. I swapped the BA10 for a NV3550 w/Np231 last winter.
5. U joints and shafts are still stock.
6. Lift is currently 2.5" with extra 1" from TJ flares. Planning a 1" BL for remainder. (Shackles later if articulation needs improvement)

So I need to take a poll to figure out what is the best option for me. Please add your to help a fellow Jeeper out.

photoboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I run 4.10's in my stock axles and I know the risk of snapping an axle shaft which is why I carry spares. I do plan on building a Ford 8.8 because of the added beef. But its a roll of the dice if you break the Dana 35. You might do it on the road or on the trail.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
mntbkrguy

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I say, D. non of the above

I am in a similar boat, 33's 3.07 gears I contemplated getting just new gears, or new axles I decided 8.8 and new gears in the front. But.... everyone's circumstances are different. I got a jeep with an SOA already done and for $50 I got a set of stock TJ shafts for the front (eliminating the vacuum). It would be a waste of $$ to get a whole new front axle because it needs to be modified to fit the YJ anyway so just getting a gear set and have someone instal it is a better option.

As for the rear,
That is a big DIY if you are not really mechanically inclined but... my local club has members (like me) more than willing to help with such projects.

Gears are something you can do yourself but even experienced mechanics tell me to go to someone that does it a lot because it is one of those practice makes perfect things and if your off by the slightest margin it can be a bad deal.

just my $.02
mntbkrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
photoboy74
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm a shade tree mechanic. I did the tranny/t-case swap myself and I've rebuilt a couple motors in the past. I've got no problem doing the labor of a swap, but I just don't have the welder.

Personally, I was thinking of just digging around for a set of 4.10 YJ axles and swapping them out. Then I would add a locker and TJ axles later, but I wanted to check. I've seen people state that the 8.8 can cost over 1k for parts and installation, when I could get a YJ axle for 300 a piece and install it on my own.
Unread 05-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

For now I would find a pair of 4.10 axles from a 4 cyl and carry spare rear shafts with you along with the stuff to change them. If you really only go out 4x a year that will do you. Easy on the gas pedal.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I say try to snag some 4 cylinder YJ axles with the 4.10's. I re-geared mine myself and it was a job but I was actually successful. I'm a shade tree mechanic too, worked at a shop and my family always had crappy junk cars that needed fixing so I picked up a lot of knowledge. If you do go the DIY route do your research and get all the tools necessary. I read all kinds of articles and installation instructions before I tackled the job and they helped but a lot of started to click when I actually dug in and did it.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

I will be facing this decision in the near future. I currently have 3.7's on mine with stock wheels and tires. I already know that this Jeep will be doggy once I finally get it on the road. I have a set of 4.10 geared 3/4 ton chevy axles at my house with wheels and tires. I have been contemplating on narrowing these and installing them into my YJ.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
photoboy74
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the info. I'm definitely leaning towards the 4.10 YJ axle swaps and carrying a set of spare axle shafts on me. The 3.07s definitely suck, but with all the mods I've done so far I can still do 70 down the road on 31s.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.