axle carrier question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > axle carrier question

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair1997 - 2001 Jeep Cherokee Header Panel

Unread 09-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
corusahara
1994 YJ Wrangler 

axle carrier question

First of all, i have to thank everyone as I've been using this site for years. This is one of the very few times the search function didn't get the clarification I need.

i just purchased an 8.8 and dana 30 out of a buddy's 4 cylinder with 4.10's ($500 for the pair) the 30 has a lock right and the 8.8 is where my question comes in - He was running a mini spool but i drive mine on the street quite a bit so I wanted to put back in the stock limited slip that he still had. Last night we transfered the ring over and started to put it back in but am i missing anything? as much as i've read i'm still confused about backlash and other gear set up terms. since i'm simply just putting back in the stock limited slip do i need to worry about any of this? I don't believe he made any changes when he put the mini spool in.

corusahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you transferred the ring gear then it's not a mini spool, it's a full spool. In that case you'll need to reset the backlash completely. There are a ton of threads on installing gears which is basically what you're doing. The ring gear doesn't just migrate back and forth from carrier to carrier, it has to be precisely set to a thousandth of an inch. Anyone who has set up gears can help but I thought I'd be the one to tell you it's not just drop and run.
Unread 09-08-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
corusahara
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info, I did a lot more research after your response. Picked up a dial indicator and measured backlash which was within spec using the shims that were given to me - don't know if this is luck or what.... Going to pick up some marking compound to check the pattern before I button it all up.
Unread 09-08-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
Anticanman

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Gears can be tricky, but I take my hat off to anyone that tackles them. Good luck!
Unread 09-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
CJ51973
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you already have it apart. I have done 8 or 9 of these. I typically measure the exisiting backlash, swap the shims, if any are present onto the new carrier & install it. Then check the backlash to be sure it's the same/similar. The variation seems to be more in the housing. The carriers are typiaclly run close to the same offsets. Now pinion swaps is a whole different deal....
Unread 09-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sometimes getting the carrier main crosspin out or back in can be a beotch depending on the gear ratio and clearance between the crosspin and inner ring gear teeth (which could be why he seperated the ring from the carrier, and pulled the carrier from the housing).

If indeed it is a mini spool, I'd toss the carrier back on the ring gear and reinstall the carrier guts & return any shims that may have been installed back where they came from & it *should be all good*.

I have pulled the ring gear from the carrier many times and as long as everything goes back correctly & nothing was worn out, it should be okay.

If its a full spool - that's a whole different ball game since the full spool replaces the stock carrier, c-clip eliminators are used at the axle tube ends, and the shafts are not machined for clips and probably a different length.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

BTW: I sure hope the mini spool doesn't look anything like this.

Unread 09-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
corusahara
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I already shot that horse of measuring the existing backlash since when I took the spool out I didn't have enought knowledge at the time to do it prior. I am feeling a lot less overwhelmed about this since I don't need to do anything with the pinion.

Joe - The cross pin was not difficult to remove at all, took it out of the housing in order to transfer the ring to the Limited slip carrier that is going in.

also - c-clips are present and the shafts are stock. So this IS a mini spool? either way it doesn't really matter since that is what's coming out.
Unread 09-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Courious....was the mini spool installed in a different carrier than the stock LSD carrier?
Unread 09-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #10
corusahara
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, it was in a different carrier. That is why i'm so amazed that when putting back in the stock LSD carrier and using the same shims that were being used with an entirely different carrier containing the mini spool, that things seem to measure out fine.
Unread 09-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ahh, now its all making sense. Thanks.
Unread 09-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
Anticanman

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Probably why I mistook it for a full spool. My bad.
Unread 09-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #13
corusahara
1994 YJ Wrangler 

No need to apologize, I can guarantee you i'm not being as clear in writing this out as I probably should be.

Thanks for all the replies!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.