Axle Build Alternatives - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Axle Build Alternatives

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Axle Build Alternatives

Any given time there are axle build questions going on JF. Lets talk about rear axle as the venerable Dana 35 is often the weak link in the drivetrain.

I like 8.8`s but not necessarily the Explorer versions. They are a bit narrow and the pinion is offset from the TC output. A better choice IMHO is an 8.8 out of a Ford pickup, E150 van or maybe even a Crown Vic. A wider axle that you can cut down to match whatever your running in front. Plus center the pinion to match your transfer case output. As an added bonus the wider 8.8`s often have bigger disc/parking brakes then the Explorers.

Dana 44, 60`s Ford 9`s etc all have possibilities but again the width can be an issue as many of these desirable axles are wider then our YJ`s. Or we have changed the front axle and now need something to match in the rear width wise.

Like to offer up a project I just finished on my YJ. Hoping that it might be of some benefit to others as it is rarely ever covered or talked about.

The drivetrain I am running lead to a nominal driveshaft operating angle of 21* with the 8.8 that was in there. While the Jeep drove well and was reasonably free of driveline vibration it could be a lot better. Final choice was a Currie RockJock which is loosely based on the HP Dana 60. Good beef and the pinion was moved up 2 5/8 inches over the 8.8, flatting out the DS angle at bit.
http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...jrockjock.aspx

Getting ready

Running a 78/79 Ford HP44 in the front that has been narrowed so I wanted the rear to match. Was running the Moser 7750 ends and their 31 spline axles on the 8.8 but wanted a bit more beef with the RJ. Enter the Moser Hobby Stock Circle Track axle kit.
http://www.moserengineering.com/cata...tock&x=54&y=14

35 spline then the shaft necks up from 1.5 to 1.75 with the larger set 80 bearings.

Bearings getting pressed on

Thick 1/2 flanges that Moser offers with this package in your choice of bolt patterns. I picked the Ford big bearing Torino bolt pattern on the ends to reuse the 8.8 brakes in a 5 on 5.5 to match the front.

Moser has discounts and with a little searching you can find codes. Customer service and turn around was great. But think for a moment what your getting. Chromo axles in your choice of length, spline count and bolt circle pattern. Thick flanges, bearings, seals, hardware, housing ends etc. Everything you need to make up your own width axle and no C clips.

Kevin at http://www.allkustomdesignmachines.com/index.html helped with the setting up of the housing ends using an alignment bar that referenced off the carrier main caps. Not to mention letting me use his hoist for a few days. AKDM can do most anything so if you need work done they are a great choice.

Finished product ready almost ready to go. Need to redo the brake hard lines as the piece I got was a bit short.

End result was lowering the DS angle to 16* and adding a lot more shaft and bearing to the Ford design.

Again, if you have found an axle you want to use and the width is not what you want or you want to add some beef the Moser stuff is worth a look. IMHO

jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 05:00 AM   #2
snail81
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I wish I had done more research before I did my 8.8. I rushed out to the local pull a part and snatched one from an explorer, bought the gears, a true trac, and set it up. Ive been fighting a slight vibration(probably because of driveshaft angle) from day one. Ive shimmed it and it seemed to help so I guess I will shim it to where it needs to be then pull it out and reweld the perches. I really hate doing things twice or three times.
I really don't like the offset differential and should get one centered but there again I hate doing things twice.
I have been doing a motor swap (5.3) and it has been down for am year or so and I really just want to drive the dang thing.
Anyone reading this and contemplating a rear axle swap do your research
snail81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 05:52 AM   #3
Jeepsr4me

snail, of all the thousands of people that has done the 8.8 and have no issue and all the companies that offer the 8.8 in basically stock configuration (offset diff) they dont seem to have a problem selling them.
So it seems it was installer error maybe?
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
snail81
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
snail, of all the thousands of people that has done the 8.8 and have no issue and all the companies that offer the 8.8 in basically stock configuration (offset diff) they dont seem to have a problem selling them.
So it seems it was installer error maybe?
could be and probably is. Im not saying i didn't do anything wrong. Im still learning things. I just don't like the offset pinion.
snail81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snail81 View Post
could be and probably is. Im not saying i didn't do anything wrong. Im still learning things. I just don't like the offset pinion.
The offset is negligible... If some one didn't tell you, one wouldn't know. And I haven't heard of anyone sunning into issues due to the offset.
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post

The offset is negligible... If some one didn't tell you, one wouldn't know. And I haven't heard of anyone sunning into issues due to the offset.
Ditto, offset has absolutely no ill effects for me.
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
Ditto, offset has absolutely no ill effects for me.
This may be the case but if you had a choice wouldn't you eliminate the offset to begin with ? Offset or not a flatter DS angle is always a benefit.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post

This may be the case but if you had a choice wouldn't you eliminate the offset to begin with ? Offset or not a flatter DS angle is always a benefit.
Lol not if it required me to cut down axle tubes and re spline axle shafts
Unread 11-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #9
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
Lol not if it required me to cut down axle tubes and re spline axle shafts
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
SeanB95YJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

OK, the 8.8 is roughly 3/4 to 1" narrower overall than the YJs D35.... how about this...

get yourself TWO 8.8s... we'll call them A and B.

from A - remove the passenger side axle tube and axle shaft (basically, everything on the passenger side of the pumpkin)

from B - remove everything from the DRIVER side of the pumpkin.

now take the axle tube & shaft that you removed from B and install it into the pumpkin of A.

now A is roughly 1.5 to 2" wider than the YJs D35, and the pinion is now centered..... yet it's still narrower than a FS truck axle.
install A into your YJ as you would any other 8.8... enjoy your new stronger axle with better-than-stock brakes, and you won't have to complain about an off-center pinion LOL
Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
swap/build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...hread-1542284/
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB95YJ View Post
OK, the 8.8 is roughly 3/4 to 1" narrower overall than the YJs D35.... how about this...

get yourself TWO 8.8s... we'll call them A and B.

from A - remove the passenger side axle tube and axle shaft (basically, everything on the passenger side of the pumpkin)

from B - remove everything from the DRIVER side of the pumpkin.

now take the axle tube & shaft that you removed from B and install it into the pumpkin of A.

now A is roughly 1.5 to 2" wider than the YJs D35, and the pinion is now centered..... yet it's still narrower than a FS truck axle.
install A into your YJ as you would any other 8.8... enjoy your new stronger axle with better-than-stock brakes, and you won't have to complain about an off-center pinion LOL
Sounds like a lot of work for two inches. Lol

Here is when some one jumps in and says," that's what she said!"
Unread 11-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
SeanB95YJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

LOL yeah... I (like most) left the 8.8 untouched
I was just giving an option to the OPs mention of taking a full size 8.8 (or other axle) and cut tubes, respline axle shafts (or have to order custom shafts).
my option is a no-cutting option with the ability to use off-the-shelf items (driver side axle shafts) and yet keep with his wanting the pinion to be centered
Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
swap/build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...hread-1542284/
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
jason m
Web Wheeler

A drive shaft ( well the U-joints ) that's made in phase can run in offset with little to no excess ware on any parts.

Up and down is still a phase in a shaft, so is side to side. So to say offset to a drive shaft, any angle is offset, up, down, side to side its still offset.
Its when it gets tweaked or made slightly out of phase that it effects U-joint and a vibration occurs.
Even if its a combo of both a quality U-joint can take the abuse.

So the slight offset of a 8.8 with a good quality drive shaft will see no ill effect being "slightly" offset.
Look at any truck or any rear wheel drive car and the center section could be slightly offset but the U-joints can run in that phase as long as the shaft stays straight.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.