AX5 won't shift into 1,3,5th gears - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX5 won't shift into 1,3,5th gears

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 11-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #16
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Any updates?

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #17
bartlett93yj

Ok- so here is the update. I took the back half of the transmission off while still on the jeep (I read a thread on how to do this while installing a locking collar on gear 5). I removed the locking collar that I installed the previous day. I also made sure that the pivot pin was reinstalled that way Mean Max said to. I also made sure that all the shifting rails were lined up and it was in neutral when I put the fork/shift lever housing back in. Next, I put new casket maker on the back half of the case and reinstalled the bolts. I then reinstalled the detent ball (though I think it was fine). New 10w/30 oil installed, transfer case, drive shafts, cross member, ATF fluid, and all connections complete. On to the shifter. I jiggled the shifter while putting downward pressure to get it set, took a pair of needle nose pliers and spun it/locked it (clockwise). It locked in place.
I went for the test drive and everything was great!!! A huge thanks to Mean Max for your help!!! Thank you.
So... what was it that caused it to not shift properly? Not sure but it's fixed. In hind sight, I was thinking that the shifter wasn't set properly in the housing and wasn't allowing it to shift into 1,3,5. However, I don't think this was it as it as the shifter shaft (that you hold on to) was almost touching the climate controls on the dash when it wasn't shifting right. When reinstalled, the shifter post/lever is positioned where it should be in the cab.
Was it the collar? I don't think so. It doesn't appear that anything was running into it and I couldn't visibly see anything running into it. (5th gear collar for sale!)
Was it that ball bearing/spring? I don't think so- I think I had that in right.
I am leaning toward the shifting rails that might have been in a wrong position as the culprit. Though I have nothing to back this up as I have never done any work on a transmission before and I have no previous experience with them. Is it even possible that the shifting rails would cause this?
Again, a super huge thanks to Mean Max. Though I'm not sure what fixed it, it's fixed and shifts great! I going to bundle up the kids cause we are taking the jeep to school tomorrow!
luke

Last edited by bartlett93yj; 11-03-2013 at 09:28 PM..
bartlett93yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #18
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

YAAAAYYYY!!!

Glad you got it fixed!

Right from the first conversation we had, I knew you'd get it handled right away!

Congratulations!

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 11-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #19
j33per
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hmmmm, awkward - I'm actually running into the same problem. I recently had the AX5 tranny out on my 95 YJ during my body-off rebuild and I split the case to install new gaskets (it was leaking like a sieve). Being the genius that I am, I have the trans in and body on and NOW realize it won't go into 1, 3, or 5th gear

My question is: Is there any way to tell if I have the pivot pin in correctly by looking top down without removing the back of the trans?

Thanks so much for your help - this forum is a life saver!
j33per is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #20
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I believe you can remove the 4 bolts at the top for the shift housing and check it that way?

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #21
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33per View Post
Hmmmm, awkward - I'm actually running into the same problem. I recently had the AX5 tranny out on my 95 YJ during my body-off rebuild and I split the case to install new gaskets (it was leaking like a sieve). Being the genius that I am, I have the trans in and body on and NOW realize it won't go into 1, 3, or 5th gear

My question is: Is there any way to tell if I have the pivot pin in correctly by looking top down without removing the back of the trans?

Thanks so much for your help - this forum is a life saver!
Nope, you have to pull the transfer case.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 11-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #22
j33per
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I'm hoping to dig into it tonight. I'll keep you posted!
Unread 11-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #23
j33per
1995 YJ Wrangler 

OK. So I've figured out my problem, and I'm hoping I can save someone else a headache.

Before I pulled the transfer case I thought I would remove the top shift cover and check the shift arm pivot pin. I was able to run through all the gears!

It turns out I had the top shift cover on backwards!! (How I did that, I have no idea!)

As you can see from the photo, the hole for the shift lever is not centered. Notice that the longer case "lines" go towards the front of the trans.

I reassembled and it works great.

**** Hoping my mistakes make your life easier ****
img_1763.jpg  
Unread 11-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #24
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33per View Post
OK. So I've figured out my problem, and I'm hoping I can save someone else a headache.

Before I pulled the transfer case I thought I would remove the top shift cover and check the shift arm pivot pin. I was able to run through all the gears!

It turns out I had the top shift cover on backwards!! (How I did that, I have no idea!)

As you can see from the photo, the hole for the shift lever is not centered. Notice that the longer case "lines" go towards the front of the trans.

I reassembled and it works great.

**** Hoping my mistakes make your life easier ****
For the AX-5.

Opposite for the AX-15.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 11-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #25
j33per
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for clarifying, Max!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.