AX5 won't shift into 1,3,5th gears - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX5 won't shift into 1,3,5th gears

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 11-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
bartlett93yj

AX5 won't shift into 1,3,5th gears

Good Morning
I installed a used transmission last night in my 93 YJ 2.5L (the PO told me it shifted fine). It has the internal slave cylinder. When I went to shift on the test drive after finishing, I can't get it go into 1,3, or 5th gears. 2, 4, and R work great and shift fine. I installed a 5th gear collar when I had the new (used) transmission to prevent that gear from sliding back.
Has anyone had something similar happen to them? I don't know if it's a problem with the shifter or the transmission. Does anybody have any suggestions? THanks for any advice!
luke

bartlett93yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
BrandonYJReed
1990 YJ Wrangler 

When I blew up my ax5 I lost 1,3, and 5. Mine would go into the gear but nothing would happen. I only had 2,4 and R to drive with...

-1999 XJ, 4.0, AW4, lifted 4.5", JK Rubi take offs.
BrandonYJReed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
bartlett93yj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonYJReed View Post
When I blew up my ax5 I lost 1,3, and 5. Mine would go into the gear but nothing would happen. I only had 2,4 and R to drive with...
Thanks Brandon- Mine doesn't feel like it is engaging into 1,3,5 gears. Did yours feel like is was "clicking" into gear, just not working? Thanks.
Unread 11-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
BrandonYJReed
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlett93yj
Thanks Brandon- Mine doesn't feel like it is engaging into 1,3,5 gears. Did yours feel like is was "clicking" into gear, just not working? Thanks.
Yes I could feel the shifter drop into the gear, the jeep just wouldn't physically move when in it.

-1999 XJ, 4.0, AW4, lifted 4.5", JK Rubi take offs.
BrandonYJReed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

The pivot pin that holds the shift arm in the rear case is in backwards.

The hole in the end of the pin must face the transfer case. Also, the threaded bolt hole in the pin has one side where the threads are recessed, the recess faces up.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
bartlett93yj

You the Man Mean Max!!! I'm on it. I'm gonna dig and I'll report back.
Thanks!!!
luke
sad thing is, I even remember taking the mental note so I didn't put it back in backwards!!! oops.
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
bartlett93yj

Hi Mean Max- I just got done digging into it and it appears that the pivot pin is in right (I think). The second picture shows how it was positioned in the transmission. Is there anything else that might prevent it from shifting up into 1,3,5? Thanks all!
luke
photo-7-.jpg

photo-8-.jpg

Unread 11-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Your pics show it as being installed properly, so I'm surprised that you're having your issue.

It's the ONLY thing that 1st, 3rd, and 5th have in common, with regard to shifting. Each one utilizes a different shift rail to accomplish it's task.

Got pics of the 5th gear retaining collar that you installed?

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 11-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
bartlett93yj

Sure thing Max- Is there a way I could have screwed up the Shift lever housing. May I have not gotten something lined upright? The image of the shift lever housing you posted above shows the cup where the shifter ball sits closer to the engine. My shift lever housing has the "cup" part nearer the rear. ...or...
Below are some pictures of the collar I got from Consolidated Transmission (Florida). I installed it though my C clip was not broken and 5th gear looked pretty good. The last photo is looking down through the top of the transmission. Do you this that this might be impeding the shifter moment and not allowing it to move into those gears? Thanks again! luke
photo-3.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo.jpg

Unread 11-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

The pic I posted was an AX-15 shifter, and it IS opposite of the AX-5 with regard to where the hole is. Good eye for spotting that!

The orientation of the hole in the pivot pin (hole facing rearward) is the same for both models however.

I'm still puzzled over where the interference is. Is it possible that the shift arm (attached to the pivot pin) is contacting the clip retention collar?

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 11-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

This pic is also of an AX-15, but the same part exists on the AX-5. It's a detent ball & spring for the shift rail that extends into the rear housing.

Are these parts installed properly?

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 11-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #12
bartlett93yj

I couldn't see or feel anything that looked like the fork (shift lever housing) is running into that collar. I am kind of leaning toward pulling the back of the tranny housing off, removing that collar, and then putting it all back together. Or am I missing something else that could be the cause?
When putting the fork/shift lever housing back in, is there a certain position it needs to be in to get it all to work? Thanks!
luke
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
bartlett93yj

I'll go and pull that ball and spring out and reinstall. I thought I installed them properly but I'll double check. I believe it was a T40 bolt. I believe there is one on the passenger and driver side.
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #14
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

That's what I would do, try assembling it without the clip collar.

I make sure the ends of all the shift rails are in neutral prior to assembly, but that's really all there is to it. If the shifter operates 2nd, 3rd, and reverse, then the shifter is already properly engaging all of the shift rails.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 11-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #15
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlett93yj View Post
I'll go and pull that ball and spring out and reinstall. I thought I installed them properly but I'll double check. I believe it was a T40 bolt. I believe there is one on the passenger and driver side.
Only the passenger side requires removal/installation during teardown & reassembly.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Tags
shifting problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.