AX5 Shot 2nd Gear Synchro... fluid change reccomendations needed! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX5 Shot 2nd Gear Synchro... fluid change reccomendations needed!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 02-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
MikeyJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

AX5 Shot 2nd Gear Synchro... fluid change reccomendations needed!

My 2nd gear synchro is worn and scrapes into gear, I was wondering if I put some good fluid into the tranny that it will calm/quite this scrape? I know the tranny fluid hasn't been replaced in a while! Whats the best fluid to run for my AX5 to quite this scrape?

and of course... where is the drain and fill plugs?

MikeyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
sitdwnandhngon
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If it's already shot there is no miracle lube thats gonna fix it. As far as that transmission goes though most off the self gear lubes have additives in them that eat syncros.

You need a gl-3 or gl-4 compliant lube.

Personally I use 10w40 motor oil. It's virtually the same stuff but with no additives. I made the switch last year and it shifts great and I haven't had a single problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northjeep View Post
4.2 has 0.2 more!
sitdwnandhngon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
chuckeroni
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Take that badboy apart and swap in new synchros.Its easier than you think.Are you sure the mainshaft main bearings arent toast?
chuckeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
MikeyJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckeroni View Post
Take that badboy apart and swap in new synchros.Its easier than you think.Are you sure the mainshaft main bearings arent toast?
Its my DD so I can't do that... pretty sure its a shot synchro as the PO had a mechanic check it out and quoted him 5k for the rebuild. It only scrapes into 2nd whether its a downshift or upshift.
MikeyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
yjwrangler08
1995 YJ Wrangler 

my 2nd gear synchro was making noise, and i replaced the fluid with some fresh 80w-90 gear lube and added a tube of synchromesh, it made the grind almost disappear. it only happened on downshifts if i didnt do it right.

hope this helps i know what its like to try and keep a yj daily driver in one piece.
Unread 02-22-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
JohnRodriguez
1989 YJ Wrangler 

you can try and use some amsoil manual transmission lube, part#MTGQT. I've used it for the last 3 years. my main problem was shifting in cold mornings. before i used mobil1 75w90, but it was not a syncromesh and amsoil is.
89 Wrangler, 2.5L TBI, D30 Truetrac 4.56 gear front, Super 35 4.56 gears rear, 31" BFG Mud's, 15x9" weld racing pro-stars XP's, 2.5" rancho and 1.25" shackels, superior axles. rear wilwood disc brakes

2008 wrangler x unlimited. Stone white. Motech 5.3L LS Chevy
JohnRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2009, 09:26 PM   #7
sitdwnandhngon
1987 YJ Wrangler 

5k for a rebuild. Thats nuts. Go to a yard and grab a used one for a few hundred bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northjeep View Post
4.2 has 0.2 more!
sitdwnandhngon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.