ax5 shifter removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ax5 shifter removal

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-05-2006, 05:17 PM   #1
plastic55

ax5 shifter removal

I searched the forums but I can't find the answer to how to "remove the shifter". I've tried pushing, pulling, turning but I can't disconnect it from the lower section of the shifter.

The transmission is locked up in nuetral. It has locked in 2nd before. There is a 160k plus on this and I know it needs a new transmission but for right now I want to just get it to change gears. I've read that the forks are locked up do to being worn. The plan is to remove the top shifter plate and manually move the forks. 95 2.5l with manual 5 speeed.

Thanks for the help.

plastic55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2006, 05:47 PM   #2
Bob_R
1991 YJ Wrangler 

reach up and around the trans case and unseat shift lever dust boot. Move it upward on the lever to access the retainer that secures it in the shift tower. You then have to press the lever retainer downward with your fingers. Turn retainer counterclockwise to release it. Then all is left is to lift lever and retainer out of the shift tower. Just leave the shift lever in the floor pan boot. Unless you already did that.
Unread 05-05-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
bowman

I'm not really sure what you are asking. To disconnect the shifter from the transmission you need to lower the tranmission a bit so that you can get your arm up where the shifter goes into the tranny. What you need to do is with your hand find where the shifter enters the tranny, there is something up there that you need to push down on and rotate. It's like a little inverted cup with notches in it. Sorry that description isn't the best but when you find it you can press on it and feel it move up and down. It's a bit hard because it'll be greasy and whatnot so you'll have to get a good hold on it. I had to use an old shirt to wipe away most of the grease then press and turn and it's disconnected. I can't remember which direction it is that you must turn it but once it's disconnected you can get back in the jeep and give it a tug and it'll come out.

DOC

...oh boy...
bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2006, 05:54 PM   #4
bowman

.....or you can do it that way, it might be a bit easier doing from the top.

...oh boy...
bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2006, 05:59 PM   #5
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

As mentioned, you can do the reach up and over, and do it from below. I tried another route that is a lot more user friendly, especially if you're not quite sure how it works. Remove boot from around the shifter, and it's right there. You have to remove both the outer and inner boots around the shifters. It is not necessary to move the cover from the entire tranny tunnel, but the section closest to the shifters. THen follow the same, push down, turn counter-clockwise as mentioned earlier. The hardest part is keeping your fingers from slipping on the retainer. Fingers will start cramping quickly. Once you have the principle, you can do it from below, but after doing it both ways, I still find it easier to do from the top.

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2006, 05:23 AM   #6
plastic55

Thanks. I already have the boots unscrewed and moved up on the shifter. I can get at it from the top.
plastic55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #7
jay6941

1995 wrangler shift rod removal

1995 wrangler 2.4 manual trans.

I have looked all day...even in the repair manuals, with no luck in finding the solution to my problem. This thread seemed as close to my problem and answer as I have found. However, it does not address my specific problem.
I have taken off both boots and plates, the two bolts on the passenger side of the rod and the two nuts that are between the shift levers. What i cant find out is how to get the 4wd shift bracket off the two studs so I can pull off the shifter top housing. I use my jeep on my farm and have had it in 4wd for some time. Just yesterday i took it to town, had a time getting it into 2wd. Going down the road it shifted just fine for a bit, then i noticed it was getting quirky shifting gears. I managed to miss my turn and pulled off the road to turn around...suddenly i couldn't get it into gear...i was in the middle of the road! Finially it went into reverse and I started backing off the road. Good god...it wouldn't come out of gear! ...stuck in reverse! .....and here i sit. Short of cutting off the ear that covers the two studs, i have no clue how to remove it.

Last edited by jay6941; 12-06-2011 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: enter more information
jay6941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 11:09 PM   #8
bikerdude
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I believe there is one bolt on the side of the 4wd shift bracket at the bottom that goes into the transmission. Remove that bolt and the whole bracket with the shifter will slide up and off of the studs. Then you can remove the studs and lift the tranny shifter out.
bikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 12:06 AM   #9
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeap, you have to remove the transfer case shifting bracket first to access the two bolts under the bracket that is over the shift "cover". You have to remove the transfer case 4wd shifter assembly to access. Crawl under the jeep, disconnect the rod from the t case shift lever, you have to pry it off, it then simply pops out. Then search for one elusive bolt that is up and inside and only accessed with wrench, and small short turns. It's there. Then after you get the t case shifter assembly out, only then can you unbolt the shifter off the transmission.
Unread 12-07-2011, 05:37 AM   #10
jay6941

Well shoot...it looks like id better fire up the torch n heat up the nut, stupid thing is on there good! I'll tell the end of my story when im fixed; unless I run into something else that is. Thanks for the very quick responses! ...im not used to getting help.
jay6941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 06:23 AM   #11
brentd711
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I had a spare shifter assembly so I hacked off the bracket that hides that nut after about an hour of fighting with it.
brentd711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #12
Buckshot927tx

Trying to get the shift lever out of this damn ax 5 tranny guys. Please help.... I got the repair manual for it. It says i have a retainer that i need to push down and turn... Mine doesnt have that at all, wtf!!??? Any thoughts??
Buckshot927tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #13
Buckshot927tx

Sorry, i thought i was on my thread... Didnt mean to hijack
Buckshot927tx is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.