AX5 Shifter into AX15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX5 Shifter into AX15

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 04-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

AX5 Shifter into AX15

Now, I've searched, and got mixed replys on this subject. My story is, I'm doing a V8 swap, using AX-15 from a 97 TJ, and want to reuse the Shift Stick from my AX-5.

Now, I have both of the Shifters, but the TJ one is bent differently, and the PO of the AX-15 JB welded some Train Bearing on the end as a shift knob (Cool Idea, but no.) Is it possible to take the bottom "Nub" thing from the bottom of the TJ shifter and put it on the end of the YJ shifter without issue? Or is there some other way to get the YJ shifter to work with the TJ transmission?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1993-2-5l-jeep-wrangler-build-5-2l-swap-1210512
Rynfw100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The top and bottom of the shifters are two parts, at the square tube. The trans came with the bottom from the trans mfg, and the top was added at assembly, different tops for different vehicles over the years. With a good vice and some finesse (read BFH), you should be able to pull the two apart and swap the 'good' top onto the proper bottom. The top and bottom just slide into each other. Some PB Blaster may help.
Unread 04-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Cool, Thanks.

I'll go warm my BFH up.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1993-2-5l-jeep-wrangler-build-5-2l-swap-1210512
Unread 04-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here's an update for people who are searching for this in the future. Check out the FAQs, the one about removing the shifter lever from the shift stick. That's basically how I did it.

I used a pickle fork (took longer to find the damn thing), A couple squirts of PB blaster, and a vice. I just yanked on the pickle fork after getting the shift lever in the vice, and it popped right off (see: almost fell on my butt). Just switched the isolators and switched the AX-15 shift tower onto the AX-5 shift stick.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.