AX5 OVERHAUL write-up (with pics) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX5 OVERHAUL write-up (with pics)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-16-2008, 01:07 PM   #16
cosminciortan
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballkustom
ok man heres my situation i have never touched a tranny before i am 16 and no absolutly nothing about trannys but from this write up im gonna try to rebuild my ax5 from my jeep yj 1990 wut do yall think of this or am i just crazy
one day i decided to replace my P/S fluid. Got the Haynes, not much help. searched the forum, found a BRIEF write-up. got my spanners, hoses, clamps and stuff. i can tell you i got P/S fluid in my ***, eyes, mouth, nose, and throughout the garage. i then discovered i can swear for half an hour without repeating myself.
point is: write-ups should just give you a hint of the task.. there's a lot i didn't write here. like about the whole day I spent under the jeep prior to touching the first screw, just to get acquainted with everything down there

good luck

cosminciortan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 02:58 PM   #17
Bromin
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have pictures of this rebuild still or maybe pictures of worn and good synchro rings?
Bromin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #18
jerseyrider1119
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No pics.. whats up with that?
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.

I only read the pictures!

95 Rio Grande- 4" Pro Comp lift, 235x75r15 on stock Alloys, Boomerangs, Piolet Trail Lights, Hurc'd, No Sways or Trac, Custom Under Dash Wiring Harness
jerseyrider1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #19
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

This is an old thread, pics probably got removed from the hosting site. Maybe the op will put them back up?
bmgadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #20
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

This would be an extremely well used and appreciated write up if it inclued pictures. I'm having all kinds of fun with my AX-5 and I'm real poor. Those two things don't work well together.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2010, 08:01 PM   #21
Bnabb
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have my old AX-5 in the garage I'm gna rebuild soon and pics would sure help
Bnabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2010, 08:06 PM   #22
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnabb View Post
I have my old AX-5 in the garage I'm gna rebuild soon and pics would sure help
I've rebuilt several AX-5 & AX-15 transmissions. Most of the pics in this link are AX-5 internals.

Transmission pictures by meanmax - Photobucket

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #23
wanabejeeper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

One other option guys to save your self time and money is to drop the tranny yourself take it to the shop and have them rebuild it. Then install it yourself. Saves you the cost of the install. I've done this with a few different vehicles. There was a place nearby me that rebuilt my 3 speed from my 72 Chevy C10 for 150 bucks.

[QUOTE=Anticanman;14767780]It goes in that barrel you wheel out to the street once a week.[/QUOTE]

My build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/new-build-thread-867043/[/url]
wanabejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #24
houd1n1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for bumping an old thread but im in the process of building an ax5. Just traveled a few hours last night to buy an ax5 for a pretty good deal and I was wondering what I would need to build this trans. Ive never built a trans before but I have a buddy that is more mechanically inclined that is gonna help out. I bought it out of a tj which I dont think is going to matter much because an ax5 is an ax5 no matter what. So what should I buy for this trans because Ive never driven it yet so I cant tell if all the gears work perfect or what not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
houd1n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2011, 01:00 PM   #25
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Since it's already dropped and you know nothing about it, I'd take it to someone who has experience with this and have them take a look at it. Figure out exactly where you're at before you start spending money.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2011, 01:06 PM   #26
houd1n1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well my friend knows a something about it and said it seems to shift fine and I was planning on buying a clutch kit anyways and a flywheel because my trans is an auto at the moment.
Unread 11-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #27
abqmaqe

can see pics?
abqmaqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 12:45 AM   #28
houd1n1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

of what?
Unread 04-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #29
JeepProblems

2000 TJ Wrangler 

just did a rebuild on my ax5 out of a 2000 tj and once i got everything back together, with the case off, it shifted good. when i got the case back on it wouldnt move into position except 1st and it was really in neutral.. im almost 100% positive i have each shift sleeve on right and since my tranny was so dirty, i had to remove all rods, balls and springs to clean them all up, but im pretty sure those are correct as i followed the factory service manual and each rod pops in and out great when the case is off..

i had to replace 1st gear with the race bushing and needle bearings and when i pressed everything on, 1st gear seemed to have a little too much play but i went back and put it on the press again and it didnt get any closer..

does anyone know what i did wrong?? maybe with the case on it holds everything together a lot tighter and causing it not to shift? clearance issue? please help
wp_20130330_002.jpg   wp_20130330_001.jpg  
JeepProblems is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #30
JDs95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ax5 pics?

how do i see the pictures? They not coming up... Im rebuilding my ax5 now. need a step by step and dont wana pay $120 for a factory service manual.
Thanks

I C THEM NOW!!!!!!
JDs95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.