AX5 Output Shaft Seal Job w Pics - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX5 Output Shaft Seal Job w Pics

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday Sa

Unread 10-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #16
ZacoWacko
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Good point. My junk yards r full of idiots, who wan to charge near full price and then make u take it off.

ZacoWacko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2010, 08:10 AM   #17
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Doc, I just noticed something! Look at this picture of yours. See the threaded hole above the output shaft? Does yours not have a plug in it?

That's the access hole for part of the shifter mechanism. Without a plug it will definitely leak fluid! Here's what the plug looks like.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2010, 12:44 PM   #18
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for checkin up on me Max.

I"ve got a nice dry bottom these days thanks to that seal job. If you look closely at that photo, you can see the plug in there with the hex wrench hole in it. I never disturbed that plug, its screwed in there about 3/8" deep or so.

The seals are holding up fine, fluids stay clean and topped off, I check em regularly.

You"d think the Big Dogs would have added this to the YJ FAQs and Writeups by now...hint,hint

Friends don't let friends roll over without a negative-G strap

Feetwet's Ford 8.8 Axle Teardown/Rebuild/Install

AX5 Output Shaft Seal Replacement

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Feetwet is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #19
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I hate to sound persistent, but it really doesn't look like the plug. The plug seals on the outside flange, not on the threads down in the case.

I think what I'm seeing down in the hole, is the shaft for the shifter "dog leg" mechanism.

Please feel free to tell me to mind my own business if you're tired of hearing the old fat guy's opinion!

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 10-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #20
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Please feel free to tell me to mind my own business if you're tired of hearing the old fat guy's opinion!

Max [/QUOTE]

Your PERSISTANCE made me go back and look at my original picture files. I can blow those dudes up huge and still see good detail because I used a 10 megapixel SLR camera. As much as it pains me to say this, I believe I have to pull my TC again. I don't see a flush plug in my pics at all. As i said before, I never disturbed that plug/nonplug so I guess it was missing to begin with.
(Outraged) I been ROBBED!

I don't seem to have lost any transmission fluid, the housing and skid are both dry and that weep hole is clean. I"ll recheck the trans fluid level again but I guess I have to hunt down a replacement plug. Not a lot of old AX5s layin around these parts, but I'll start looking.

See, this is why they should hold parades for guys like you, Max. I know everyone appreciates your input around here and thanks you for your time and effort, but has anybody ever sent you a nice Fruit Basket?

I'll keep you posted....

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Unread 10-30-2010, 07:27 AM   #21
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feetwet View Post

Max

Your PERSISTANCE made me go back and look at my original picture files. I can blow those dudes up huge and still see good detail because I used a 10 megapixel SLR camera. As much as it pains me to say this, I believe I have to pull my TC again. I don't see a flush plug in my pics at all. As i said before, I never disturbed that plug/nonplug so I guess it was missing to begin with.
(Outraged) I been ROBBED!

I don't seem to have lost any transmission fluid, the housing and skid are both dry and that weep hole is clean. I"ll recheck the trans fluid level again but I guess I have to hunt down a replacement plug. Not a lot of old AX5s layin around these parts, but I'll start looking.

See, this is why they should hold parades for guys like you, Max. I know everyone appreciates your input around here and thanks you for your time and effort, but has anybody ever sent you a nice Fruit Basket?

I'll keep you posted....
PM me your address, I'll throw a plug in the mail to you.

Loved the fruit! I cut it up & soaked in in a pitcher of Sangria!

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 10-30-2010, 08:17 AM   #22
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

PM sent.

Hope you have a fork lift handy to get that thing to the Post Office....

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Unread 03-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #23
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thought it would be a good idea to update this thread. Max sent me the plug. I pulled the TC and mine WAS missing. Installed the plug, put it all back together and all is well.

Thanks again Max!

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Unread 03-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #24
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Good on ya Doc!

On a side note, I check my numbers each week hoping I'll be calling you to share a beer or three with me but it still hasn't happened yet......

Nice to see you around!

Max

Sent from my HTC Incredible Droid

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 03-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #25
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

That's gonna be one hellacious road trip.....

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Unread 07-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #26
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have been searching for this thread for 2 days. You just saved me from having to use stop leak to buy some time. Hoping to knock this one out tomorrow since I gotta drive it to work Monday. How long did it take you to remove the transfer case change the seal and the put it all back together? Is this something someone that is not new but not experienced can do in a day?
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #27
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'll reply for Doc. The whole job is very simple. Remove tranmission mount bolts/nuts and torque arm nut from center of skid plate. Support transmission just forward of skid plate & then remove the skid plate entirely. Drain the transfer case & remove driveshafts at the pinion of each axle. The rear shaft will slide out, the front can stay attached to the transfer case. Pop the round transfer case shift rod loose at the forward end, then unplug the vacuum switch, vent line, and the speedometer cable/wire on the transfer case. Unbolt the 6 nuts (5 on most 4 cylinder models) that attach the transfer case to the transmission & remove the transfer case. Replace the seal & reverse the procedure to reinstall. Plan on a few hours the first time, I've had so many Jeeps apart that I can do that job in under 45 minutes on the lift in my shop. But not being familiar with the tools & fastener sizes required, plus laying on your back all adds up to more time. Just don't rush, think it through & be safe! Make sure you follow all the rules for safe working conditions, like chocking the wheels, set parking brake, etc. and you'll be fine.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 07-17-2011, 06:58 AM   #28
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all that typing Max, kinda glad you saw Siva283's new post before I did.

Max's summary of the job is dead-on, as usual.

Siva283, please refer to the first post in this thread for information regarding the locations and sizes of all the fasteners you will need to remove, as well as the connections to the Transfer Case that must be undone.

It is a very straightforward process. Follow the steps, refer to the pics and Take Your Time. Read the thread again, Be Safe!

The skid plate bolts may be an issue but there are plenty of threads out there for dealing with them.

Good luck and ask questions if you need to. I'll get Max to answer em for you.....

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Unread 07-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #29
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well I finished the job took only 4 hours for me to do. That's the first time I have ever touched a transfer case or transmission. Thanks to you and max it was a piece of cake. None of the bolts gave me much trouble but the ones in tight spots took sage at 1/16 of a turn at a time. This write up is great I don't think I would have tried to do it without it. I bought a jeep and am learning to work on it and maintain it and thanks to this site and people like you and max sharing your knowledge is awesome its making things much easier and helping me lose my fear of transmissions. I also learned I have a balanced front drive shaft so I see solid front axle in my future. Thanks guys I owe you both a drink if I am ever in your neck of the woods or you are in mine. This forum has probably saved millions of dollars for people that would have taken thier jeeps to a mechanic. I can't thank you all enough for your help and write ups its nice to have such a sense of accomplishment after getting a job done that I have never done before. If there is ever a way I can return the favor you got. I work with computers for a living so if you ever need help with those or anything.g else I may have knowledge of let me know.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Unread 07-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #30
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

A 36 inch breaker bar definitely help and made quick work of the skid plate bolts by the way

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.