ax5 gear oil!!!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ax5 gear oil!!!!

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #16
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
From talking to people at the jeep dealership I work at they say to use the 75w90 gear oil.
Are they saying to use that in a 1987 thru 1995 wrangler? Then they would be wrong. There was a wrangler service bulletin about this way back when, see my previous post.

Unread 07-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #17
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Actually, I haven't heard good things at all about Synchromesh. And given that the cheapest 10w30 provides absolutely perfect shifting from 80* down to -10*F in my transmission, I don't see why spending any extra money would be worth it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1...trans-1100022/

Multiple people in that one thread report issues running it.

Everybody has their own opinion on the internet, this happens to be mine. I read most of that thread, and really only saw one guy with an AX-5, complain that it shifted rougher. Most of all the posters, had AX-15's. From all the info I read way back in '06, when I was having trouble with my AX-5, there is a difference between the AX-5 and the AX-15. IIRC, the synchros in an AX-5 are made from a different brass, which is softer. It needs the additives to reduce wear. When I bought my Jeep back in '05, the synchros were shot. I replaced the oil with Pennzoil Synchromesh, and it immediately got better. But worn synchros are still worn synchros. So after a couple of years, I had the AX-5 rebuilt. I've put nothing in it but Synchromesh since then, and it hasn't skipped a beat. Well except for the time it popped the 5th gear C-clip. I can't blame that on the oil. When I drained it, there was virtually no brass residue in the case.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #18
metalhead
2000 WJ 

We could not find any service bulletins. The techconnect dealer site does not even show a service or parts manual for 95 on back. We did look up the part number for the gear oil and as stated earier the number was superseded and the new number is for 10w30 oil. I still don't know what to use. I am a mechanic at a Chrysler.jeep dealership. The oldest wrangler I worked on was a 99. Being a mechanic my gut says to use gear oil in a manual trans. I guess when I go to fix the 5th gear problem in my ax5 whatever type of oil comes out is what will go back in. Or maybe if I have some time I will contact star tech and see what they say. There are too many opinions on this. some people like this oil or that oil but What is truly the right stuff?
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #19
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
We could not find any service bulletins. The techconnect dealer site does not even show a service or parts manual for 95 on back. We did look up the part number for the gear oil and as stated earier the number was superseded and the new number is for 10w30 oil. I still don't know what to use. I am a mechanic at a Chrysler.jeep dealership. The oldest wrangler I worked on was a 99. Being a mechanic my gut says to use gear oil in a manual trans. I guess when I go to fix the 5th gear problem in my ax5 whatever type of oil comes out is what will go back in. Or maybe if I have some time I will contact star tech and see what they say. There are too many opinions on this. some people like this oil or that oil but What is truly the right stuff?
10W-30

Quit over-thinking it.

I rebuild 5-10 AX-5 & AX-15 transmissions per month in my "Jeep only" shop. ALL get motor oil.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #20
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Your "star tech" may even say use gear oil. I have a master mechanic in the family and that's what he said to put back in it.

The fact is gear oil sucks in the ax5, I know first hand. After I put quakerstate fill synthetic 10w30, doesn't have to be synth, it was a whole new trans and I haven't looked back.

Those are the facts.
ashland82391 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #21
Lemoore-on
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Put 75-90 in it. Come back in a year or two and tell us what a POS your AX5 is......

92YJ with some stuff done to it.
Lemoore-on is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #22
OKwranglerYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here is what you should do. Go but a brand new ax-whatever and see what the little tag on it says to put in it.
I had this discussion with a guy and still he said he was going to use gear oil. After a couple of days he got in his new ax-15, and the tag said don't use gear oil, use 10w-30.
OKwranglerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.