AX5 to AX15 swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX5 to AX15 swap

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #16
timh141
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Finally got it running! After the bearing retainer came, I noticed the shifter seat had deteriorated. Unfortunately where I live, I have to mail order everything for these 4 cyl jeeps. But it is running now. I have some vibration when I get up to about 35 mph that stays at higher speeds too. When I coast, it seems to go away, so I guess it means that is not the tires. Also, the engine seems smooth when I rev it up in neutral, so not the engine. Could be the driveshaft. I still need to get mine shortened. I'm using one that I bought used, and the size of the yoke at the rear axle is not the same, so i put the old Ujoint caps on it to make it fit. It wouldn't surprise me if this is my problem. I did filter the lube for the transmission, it took awhile, but was worth the wait. I'll make another post about this, but we're replacing the clutch in my son's '06 TJ and that got complicated...but that is what is taking my time and money. Thanks everyone for your input on my transmission swap project.

wp1994.jpg  
timh141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #17
Fuddmaster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I was reading your thread and have a question. Did any of the Dakota's have external master slave cylinder? Or did they are have internal?
Fuddmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #18
Hammerhead

Found one on ebay once. Prices have gone up a lot since then.
Hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #19
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

for your u-joint you need a conversion joint. It has a 1310 on one side and a 1330 on the other..

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #20
timh141
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I still need to take the driveshafts over and get them adjusted. The front one reaches, but i wouldn't want to offroad with it. The back one I replaced with an ebay item, but i want to have my original shortened and balalnced. Also I noticed the last time I had my skid plate off, that one of the bolts that hold it has pulled through the hole. I'd like to find another skid plate, and also i still think i'm missing a bracket. i bolted the trans mount directly to the skid plate, and I think there s/b a bracket in there that also supports the exhaust. i don't know if the six cylinder jeeps have a torque arm or not, but mine did originally.
Unread 02-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #21
timh141
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Fuddmaster, for the years that work with this swap, external as far as i know.
Unread 02-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #22
zman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had an 93 2.5L YJ with the AX5 and a 4:1 in the t-case, F8.8, 4.88's and 35's. I don't know why the AX5 gets such a bad rap. I beat the piss out of mine and it held up fine. IMO, I think the AX5/AX15 strength is exagerated. Eventually all trannies will go bad, even the AX15. I don't think the extra work or effort is worth the AX15 upgrade. I would just put in another AX5 or rebuild the one you have, after all the original poster says he has over 200,000 miles on a AX5. I would rather have the lower gear of the AX5 for the lack of power the 2.5L has. Also, I have a friend with the same model Jeep and setup, but he put in a Klune too. He snapped the intermediate shaft between the Klune and the AX5, AX5 still runs good today.
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #23
dave3687
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think I agree with Zman, I have a 95 2.5 AX5 and with 130,000 the trans has held up fine. Unfortunately for me I am rebuilding my 2.5, actually got a good block and rebuilding that with my head, for some strange reason my block decided to mix coolant with oil, anyway I like the 2.5 and AX5 and don't think I would change either one out.
dave3687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #24
timh141
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Had the rear driveline shortened 1 1/2 inches and balanced. They also installed new U-Joints, all for $122. Looks like new. I asked them if they would crawl under my Jeep and make the rest of it look like that. They said no. Dropped it off Monday, picked it up and installed yesterday (Wednesday). What a world of difference, all of the vibration is gone. Next step is to remove the front driveline and have it lengthened. It slipped open enough to bolt on, but I wouldn't want to do any wheeling with it like it is. Hmmmm payday is next Friday...
wp_000121.jpg  
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #25
timh141
1994 YJ Wrangler 

zman, I kept my AX5, thinking about rebuilding it for the experience at least, or maybe use in another project. I didn't have 5th gear, and reverse sounded like a rock-crusher, but it was a pretty good 4-speed when I took it out! When I was going through craigslist, I found a deal on the AX15 that I couldn't pass up. Swapping turned out to be a bigger project than I had anticipated, but I'm happy with it. Granted, I still need to rebuild the AX15, because as the former owner put it there is a "tick" in reverse. Also noticed some brass when I changed fluid, so the synchros are probably worn, although it shifts good. I understand that on the AX5, the weak point is the clip that holds reverse gear on the shaft, but there is a fix for that. Its a clamp that is installed against the clip to keep it in place.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.