ax5 to ax15 help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ax5 to ax15 help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 05-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
MoMilitia
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ax5 to ax15 help

I've tried googleing and searching the forums here and cant find anything dealing with this problem in particular so sorry if it has already been posted. I have a 95yj 2.5l that I am trying to put an ax15 in. I've got most of the parts I need according to most rebuild threads other than a new input gear for np231(will be ordering in a few weeks). I got the ax15 from a buddy who had it in a 2wd 96 dakota. Now on to the problem. I am pretty new to this so excuse my lack of knowledge. We had the two trannys sitting next to each other to compare them and it does not appear they will bolt up correctly. After the ax5 tranny there is a plate and then piece that your shifter goes into(technical name anyone?) and then tcase. The ax15 has a tailcone and the shifter piece all as one. It does not appear that my old middle piece with the shifter will bolt up to the new ax15. The ax5 piece only has 2 bolts on the driver side and the ax15 has 3. and the lengths between none of the bolts are the same. Has anyoneone else had this problem? I'm guessing you go about it one of 3 ways.
Drill and tap(I would like to avoid this if there is an easier alternative)
possibly an adapter plate of some sort?
or maybe this center shifter piece from a wrangler with ax15?

MoMilitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
MoMilitia
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bump, anyone have any info on this? Will a dodge ax15 work or will I need one out of a jeep
MoMilitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
czjeeper
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

You won't get that 2wd trans to work w/out a lot of money and or parts.
You need an AX15 from a Wrangler, or drill out an XJ Cherokee AX15 to clock the TC correctly.
What you need from the 2.5 Dakota is the BELLHOUSING.
This has all been very well documented, I recommend doing some more research.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.