ax5 to ax15 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ax5 to ax15

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 05-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #16
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The 96-98 Dakota 4 cylinder AX15's were 2 wheel drive, and the spline count was higher than the 4WD jeep AX15's. I believe 14. If you pulled the entire clutch from the Dakota, from my research, everything would work except the disc due to the spline count difference. The tooth count, thickness, and crank sensor notches on the dakota flywheel are the same as the ax5 flywheel. However, the ax5 pressure plate will not mount to the dakota flywheel, the pattern is different. The pilot is different too, the style pilot bearing. You will need to order a new bronze' bushing from advance adapters as well if you are going to retain your ax5 clutch system. 20 bucks, and also elongate the clutch rod for the slave cylinder. There are other things as well. You will not have a problem retaining the ax5 clutch parts as most do it that way. Switching to the dakota clutch system, minus the 14 spline disc, is a more expensive way to do the conversion as you have to buy the dakota clutch, which is more expensive than the ax5 clutch, and buy the dakota flywheel. However, in return, you probably get a better suited clutch system for the application. The dakota bell housing is deeper than the ax5 bell housing, therefore the clutch slave pin has to be longer as well.

moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 10:03 PM   #17
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinefuel View Post
and also elongate the clutch rod for the slave cylinder...

...The dakota bell housing is deeper than the ax5 bell housing, therefore the clutch slave pin has to be longer as well.
Did you or somebody else here experience this very issue?

CZJeeper made no comment of this with his conversion and Ultimate only shimmed his shift fork because he was trouble shooting a pressure plate problem.

I'm just asking because of how close I am to having everything I need for this to work is all.

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 10:24 PM   #18
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I did all the calculations on my AX5 to NV3550 thread in the frequently asked questions section. The measurements regarding the two conversions in this area are the same. If some are getting away with not elongating the slave pin, then that is a testament to the slaves range. However, I have read more than one thread where the clutch had problems due to this. Feel free to take another look at the thread and all the calculations, etc.
Unread 05-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #19
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I am using a stock '94 wrangler AX-5 clutch system, all the way down to the clutch pin. Works perfectly. The slave cylinder is very flexible in it's abilities. I also used an elongated clutch pin, but there was no need after I figured out the pressure plate was the problem. (1.125" longer IIRC)

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 10:58 PM   #20
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Elongated clutch pin? I'm probably just misunderstanding your lingo.

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 11:07 PM   #21
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry, the slave cylinder rod.

White '94 YJ Sport

Unread 05-23-2010, 11:09 PM   #22
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The external slave cylinder pin or rod. Not sure what else to call it. UltimatE is not having a problem, so that's good. It is a matter of the range of the slave cylinder. I would not worry about it, worse case scenerio, just address the throw. No big deal.
Unread 07-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #23
YJ Ynot
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok need a little more help.My pilot bearing is to small in my 93 2.5 for my 94 ax15 what can I use?

I'll stop procrastinating tomorrow...
YJ Ynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 10:05 PM   #24
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

(P/N 716167) Pilot Bushing .750 ID X 1.090 OD | Engine & Transmission Conversion Adapters - Advance Adapters

There you go. This has worked flawlessly for me since I installed it last October. 0.75" ID pilot bushing size for the later AX-15's. Early AX-15s have a 0.59" pilot.

White '94 YJ Sport

Unread 07-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #25
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

^Yes. I may as well add in my images as I took some time to find them. UltimatE is quick. Just one second here.. There. Top image is receipt. You do not need the slave cylinder, disregard that. Bottom image comparison of the NV4500 bushing and the ax5 .590 bushing.
pilot-bushing-reciept.jpg   bushings-comparison.jpg  
Unread 07-02-2010, 03:09 AM   #26
YJ Ynot
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome,thanks for the help.

I'll stop procrastinating tomorrow...
YJ Ynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #27
95jeeperyj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I used a 99 dakota bell housing,99 cherokee ax 15 and slave cylinder, 4cyl. 78 chevy monza clutch disk when I did my GM d44 and d300 swap in my 95.
95jeeperyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.