Ax5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ax5

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 07-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
Hilblee
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ax5

Just a quick question----My AX5 tranny jumps out of 5th when i let off the gas. Is this a problem with that snap ring missing or is my syncros shot? I read all through the posts on putting that collar on but it didnt mention my problem.

Hilblee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
lah2420
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds to me like the shift sleeve(I know that isn't the proper term) isn't going all the way on the gear. Synchro shouldn't keep you from that. If it was the snap ring you probably wouldn't have any 5th gear at all. I had an AX15 that was just the opposite. The sleeve wouldn't come all the way off. Ended up being a bent shift rail. IMHO it sounds like the tranny needs to be opened up, but I'm not an expert. Look up Mean Max and PM him if he doesn't respond to your post. You can trust his opinion more than mine.
lah2420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have any kind of lift on the Jeep? The shift rod may not be fully engaging 5th gear and only popping out when there is no "tension" on the gear.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
Hilblee
1989 YJ Wrangler 

4 inch lift--how can you tell on the tension?
Unread 07-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

With a 4" lift, the shifter could be hitting the tub when you're in gear, not allowing the transmission to fully engage. Especially if you have a transfer case drop.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Shifter boot old and hard that is also a player

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sometimes when a tranny sees lots of highway miles and/or got run for a while with low lube the relatively small OD gear gets worn and stop holding in play. If other mentioned items check out maybe a couple new gears are in order. The popping out usually happens under power however, not let-off. A thought...
fishadventure is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
Hilblee
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys-----just serviced it for the first time and lo and behold----by the pics of the drain plug, its a AX15 not the AX5 as I was told. Thats awesome. Must have traded it out when the previous owner had the 93 4.0 put in.
Hilblee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, a transfer case drop can keep it from engaging fully in 5th gear. As said above, it may be hitting the tub. Also, your tranny mount may be bad, causing it to it the tub and pop out of gear.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.