ax15 time - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ax15 time

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
evanjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

ax15 time

Got it but i need parts it seems. All that came was trans and new transfer case.

forumrunner_20120922_213131.jpg

Can i get the parts i need from a hardware store

evanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looks to me like you also have a bellhousing....................what parts are you in need of? What is it you're starting out with, and what is your goal? What was the source of your transmission as well?

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
evanjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Mans trans put of Tallahassee. Ba 10/5. Seems i need all of the slave cylinder pilot bushing and the connector for the old slave line to the new external slave
Unread 09-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

So let me guess--the version you have is the external slave 94/5 and newer AX15 model/bellhousing. That tells me you will likely have the snout diameter of 0.750" (part of input shaft that goes into the pilot bearing in the crank). You need to purchase the combination one-piece, pre-bled clutch master/hose/slave unit and it is all bolt in. Will link thread soon. You will need to purchase the clutch kit for a 94/5 YJ which will have pressure plate, throwout bearing, alignment tool and a pilot bearing that will likely not fit. You need to get a clutch fork, and the fork retaining spring that holds the passenger side of it to the knob it pivots on. Send a photo of a clear shot up straight inside the bellhousing, and tell me your snout diameter. I doubt it is the 0.590 version early model size snout.

Don't try to connect to your orig. clutch master. Get the whole unit.

Read this http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...-unit-1112094/
look at all photos and read all the text even though it wanders some. Hell, read it twice, it will make more sense. In addition, read thru this one as well. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/y...ite-up-312203/

Here is a photo of the "fork" and the retention spring. Yes it is AX5 but same fork PN etc.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 09-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
evanjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59
So let me guess--the version you have is the external slave 94/5 and newer AX15 model/bellhousing. That tells me you will likely have the snout diameter of 0.750" (part of input shaft that goes into the pilot bearing in the crank). You need to purchase the combination one-piece, pre-bled clutch master/hose/slave unit and it is all bolt in. Will link thread soon. You will need to purchase the clutch kit for a 94/5 YJ which will have pressure plate, throwout bearing, alignment tool and a pilot bearing that will likely not fit. You need to get a clutch fork, and the fork retaining spring that holds the passenger side of it to the knob it pivots on. Send a photo of a clear shot up straight inside the bellhousing, and tell me your snout diameter. I doubt it is the 0.590 version early model size snout.

Don't try to connect to your orig. clutch master. Get the whole unit.
I dont crap cash lol. I thought i read i re use my same clutch
Unread 09-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanjeep View Post
I dont crap cash lol. I thought i read i re use my same clutch
Not sure I follow, but replace your clutch/PP etc if you are doing this swap. Make sure your flywheel is either resurfaced, or replaced. If you buy your same clutch kit for your 87, it will not have the throw out bearing in it.
You're upgrading. You need the clutch kit from the 94/5 style unit.

Read thru the threads. A few times. Then ask your questions and I'll be able to help. Submit more photos so I'll stay interested, I tend to fade...........................

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
evanjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59

Not sure I follow, but replace your clutch/PP etc if you are doing this swap. Make sure your flywheel is either resurfaced, or replaced. If you buy your same clutch kit for your 87, it will not have the throw out bearing in it.
You're upgrading. You need the clutch kit from the 94/5 style unit.

Read thru the threads. A few times. Then ask your questions and I'll be able to help. Submit more photos so I'll stay interested, I tend to fade...........................
Maybe its keep the same flywheel
Unread 09-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
evanjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I get the new master and slave. Its just inside the bell housing what i need
Unread 09-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Its just inside the bell housing what i need
Available at your local parts store, if your local parts stores are anything like mine. Ask for the Clutch fork and retaining spring for a 95 YJ. They are the same for the AX5 and the AX15, and you have photos of what they look like.

Do you have the pivot ball already inside your bell? It's over on passenger side, and is what the fork pivots on.

Fork: http://www.quadratec.com/products/52005_05.htm

Clip: http://www.quadratec.com/products/52012_03.htm

Pivot Ball: http://www.quadratec.com/products/52021_01.htm

There are numerous sources for these, I just linked this site because you can get all 3 there, and they're inexpensive.

Quote:
Maybe its keep the same flywheel
Yes, keep your same flywheel (style/part number). Consider resurfacing it, or getting a new one, but yes, keep the one specific to your particular motor.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
evanjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yes its a yellow ball over there ill take a pic before work in my bell
Unread 09-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
evanjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

forumrunner_20120923_185302.jpg
Unread 09-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #12
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You have an external slave bellhousing, but you have the wrong input bearing retainer for an external slave type system. You have the flat-faced input bearing retainer as for an internal slave version.

If you specified to Mantrans you wanted an internal slave version AX15/bell, then they sent you the wrong version transmission, or they misunderstood what it was you were wanting. It's not a big deal though, just get the long snout input bearing retainer, some folks call it a front bearing retainer. It has the long snout as this is what the throwout bearing slides back and forth on. The flat faced one you have is for the internal slave AKA "concentric bearing," and they are easy to swap out. Undo the 8 bolts and pry it off. Clean off the RTV gasket, slide the correct one on with RTV on it as a gasket, bolt it up. I would recommend putting on a new seal for about $7 or so. Here is what the long snout one looks like.

Can get from Mantrans likely, or can get from Novak, Advance Adapters, Zumbrota Bearing and gear, etc. Can get new or used, whatever you can find and what ever is cheapest.

Measure out the front bit of your input shaft, the part that goes into the pilot bearing in the crank. It looks like yours is not the 0.750" version, but the earlier model 0.590" version just to my eyeball. You'll need to know this to get the correct pilot bearing/bushing for your application.

Also measure out the OD of the pilot bearing you have now in your crank, or if you have a bushing. Send some photos of that so we can find out if getting the correct part there will be a hangup. For example, this is what my pilot bearing looks like in the crank, partially pulled out.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #13
evanjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Im taking it to a transmission shop to install it i have no time or tools to do it. And it looks like ill be spending more money than i wanted as to what you just described
Unread 09-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
evanjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Juat called man trans they sent one with internal set up. So now my ? Is will my internal on my pugoat work. I just had it installed. And is the input shaft the same
Unread 09-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #15
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Input shaft same spline count, the difference could be if your snout is different size-the part that goes into the pilot bearing/bushing. From what photos I have seen, it REALLY looks to me like that is an external clutch slave style bellhousing. It looks like it has the 2 studs to bolt the ext slave to on the Driver side of the front of the bell. Show some more photos of that, maybe I can tell better. I don't have a good photo of an external slave style bell, but here is one of an Internal style bell. Get me a photo of yours from the same angle more or less. Note that on mine, the access for the hydraulics is diagonal, and there is no provision for the 2 external slave mounting studs at top/bottom of the access hole.

If you have the external style bellhousing, by all means that is a bonus and you should go to external style slave setup by getting the correct input bearing retainer and going that route.

I'm surprised you haven't had more input from the rest of the guys on the forum with experience and opinions on this. Someone else wanna chime in and give some reassurance that his bell is really the external style bell? Guys??

Mantrans sent you an internal slave style tranny, but they sent you an external slave style bellhousing. Consider that a BONUS. Change the input bearing retainer and go external, it is mo bettah. If for some crazy, insane, irresponsible reason you decide to go internal slave you'll need an internal style bell. In that case I'd be glad to send you one of those free if you send me your external style bellhousing in return............................................

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.