Ax15 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ax15 swap

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-17-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
dougbrown
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ax15 swap

Hello guys. I want to swap out my Ba-10 trany to a ax-15. The jeep has a 4.2L I6 in it. What do I need? Bell, t case ect and what will match up? Also what else will I need? While I'm doing this I want to put a new clutch in. I drive it on the road alot but also 4 wheel in the woods, Mostly mud and trail riding. No rock clumbing!

dougbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
lah2420
1995 YJ Wrangler 

>Bell housing and tcase, or else change the tcase input shaft.
>When I did mine several years ago I also changed from an internal to an external slave cylinder. For that you will need the fork inside the bell housing and a release, or throwout, bearing.
>I bought a combination master/slave for the clutch hydraulics.
>I also bought a clutch kit for a year model that had the external slave. Sorry, I don't remember the year it changed off hand. The disk and pressure plate are the same part numbers for all the 6 cylinder YJs. The difference in the kits is whether you use an internal or external slave.
>Not sure about the transfer case shifter mounting. You may need one for mounting on an AX15. I went from an NP207 to the 231, so I needed everything.
>Transmission mount for the AX15.
>Unless you want to modify the skid plate, you might try to find a newer one of those also. I modified mine. Mainly just drilling new holes.
lah2420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
srdart67
2002 WJ 

You will be able to use any year ax15 but but you will need to get the right bell housing for your motor. they also changed them a little in 97 they put a larger input shaft in them. If you are buying one with the larger shaft you will need to get a the 97 and up pilot bearing. They come with the clutch kit but I am not sure if the flex plate is the same bolt pattern to the flywheel as the earlier models as I only had to replace the bearing when I changed mine.
Unread 09-17-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
yjgrillin
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just did an AX-5 to AX-15 swap, and while looking found a guy in PA on Ebay who had an BA-10 to AX-15 listed, I called him and told him what I was doing, he knew what I wanted and changed some of the parts around. I think it was 1200-1300 for the complete set up. (Rebuilt transmission and transfer case, bellhousing, etc.) I don't know much about the BA-10 but might be something to look into. The only issue I had was shipping (I'm in AZ) and it took him awhile to get everything out to me, also, he wasn't the best at communicating with me about what was going on, I had to call him a couple times to get information. (He does build them for each order, so keep that in mind as well.) Just figured I'd offer it. Search Ebay for him, I think his website is jeeptransmissions.com

I'm going to get the transmission and everything started on Tuesday, I cannot speak to the quality of his parts yet. I just wanted to add this in case I run into issues later this week. If you'd like, I can update you when all is said and done.
yjgrillin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 12:18 AM   #5
Fenix85182
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can get most of your parts of eBay or CraigsList for pretty inexpensive. When I swapped from an AX15 with a bad input shaft bearing to a newer one, I also chose to swap the internal slave for the external slave. While I'm not positive, I think it was '94 and up with the external slave. However, the pilot hole on the 4.2 crank is larger than that of the 4.0 that the newer slave/tranny combo is usually paired with.

For a less-expensive swap, find a tranny from an '89-'92. For an easier-to-work-on swap (external slave), '94 and later is what you want.
Fenix85182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
lah2420
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You can use the older tranny and just get a bell housing for the external slave. That's what I did.
lah2420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.