AX15 shift tower bushing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX15 shift tower bushing

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-28-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

AX15 shift tower bushing

I am still accumulating parts for my AX15 rebuild. I have found that the bushing in the base of the AX15 shift tower is toast, most of it had fallen away. I have the Parts CD for jeeps, I have the FSM as well. The parts guy at the dealership was less than helpful, he told me what I needed was the bushing that is stuck on the bottom end of the shifter lever and tried to give me part number 8350-0519 wrong part. I looked through my Official parts CD and could not find my part demonstrated anywhere in there, nor can I find it shown in the FSM anywhere. To make sure I am sending the right nomenclature, what I and most everyone else refers to as the shift tower is listed as part number 5252-054 and is called "retainer, control shift lever." It is held onto the rear extension housing of the AX15 with 4 bolts. There is a gasket between this and the extension housing. The part I need is a ring type bushing that fits in the bottom of the shift tower--it is not the small nylon bushing that fits on the bottom end of the shifter lever. It is also not the boot that fits around the shifter shaft. If needed, I can take a photo of where it is supposed to fit and submit that. I could not find this part listed on quadratec, can anyone help me find the part number and/or a source for this part??
Thank you in advance for your interest and assistance.

EDIT--I came up with the answer for this question, but I never closed out this thread. If you will drop down to the last post, you'll find the answer and the pictures, and a link to another thread in the FAQ covering this question.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.

Last edited by Opihi59; 08-17-2012 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: Closed out with the solution. Sorry I didn't do it sooner.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quadratec does have them, you need to call em though, they're not in the catalog or on the web.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
SonofSam02
1994 YJ Wrangler 

they dont make just the bushing
period
it is an integral part of the shifter housing.
I went through this last year
You have several options:
Dealership wants about $150 for a new shifter
B&M and similar shifters are about $200
what i did was go to bass pro shops and buy a rubber rollar thingy. I then gut/grinded/burned/cursed it until it fit down in there. I made it similar to the one that came out
SonofSam02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ahhh, makes sense. When I got my shifter from quadratec they were in the the kit but packaged separately. I thought it was sold individually.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 09:42 PM   #5
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Oh. My. Gawd.

I will call Quadratec tomorrow and beg for them to send me the part......having to buy the entire shift tower for the (perishable) seal is closely akin to having to purchase a new car because the tires wore out. Of course, I will post follow-up on this for the forum's collective benefit.
About 2 years ago I replaced one of these on a Toyota W56 5 speed, I suppose if it is a close match that would be a starting point to look for a substitute. Sorry for bringing up the T-word on this forum, but sometimes, you have to be innovative.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 01-28-2008, 09:46 PM   #6
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I just had mine apart the other day and mine had a rubber ring at the bottom of the shift tower.
More than likely you have to buy the tower to get it.
My guess it's more of a seal than a bushing because the ball on the lever doesn't actually ride on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59
I am still accumulating parts for my AX15 rebuild. I have found that the bushing in the base of the AX15 shift tower is toast, most of it had fallen away. I have the Parts CD for jeeps, I have the FSM as well. The parts guy at the dealership was less than helpful, he told me what I needed was the bushing that is stuck on the bottom end of the shifter lever and tried to give me part number 8350-0519 wrong part. I looked through my Official parts CD and could not find my part demonstrated anywhere in there, nor can I find it shown in the FSM anywhere. To make sure I am sending the right nomenclature, what I and most everyone else refers to as the shift tower is listed as part number 5252-054 and is called "retainer, control shift lever." It is held onto the rear extension housing of the AX15 with 4 bolts. There is a gasket between this and the extension housing. The part I need is a ring type bushing that fits in the bottom of the shift tower--it is not the small nylon bushing that fits on the bottom end of the shifter lever. It is also not the boot that fits around the shifter shaft. If needed, I can take a photo of where it is supposed to fit and submit that. I could not find this part listed on quadratec, can anyone help me find the part number and/or a source for this part??
pat8942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2008, 09:04 AM   #7
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well, the large knob/ball at the base of the shifter does rest on this at the bottom of the round portion of the shift tower. Then there is a small "finger" that sticks down from that about 2 inches with a smaller knob. Every parts place is trying to sell me the small bushing, rather than the bigger bushing the big knob sits in. This part rests on a shoulder at the base of the round portion of the shift tower. Otherwise the "big knob" will be pivoting against the case and shearing off metal frags which then fall down into the rear case. The spring under the retainer cap holds this portion of the shifter down against this bushing/seal. I called several online sources this morning and they all told me this part isn't available. Likely I'll take my shift tower around town to some transmission shops, and/or to Toyota to see if one of their bushings from some of their transmissions will fit, or will be adaptable to this. If anyone else comes up with any kind of source for this part, or even a part number, let me know.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #8
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just to give some early feedback--cyberjeep had an exploded diagram of an AX15, I had called them once already and called back......Item #6 on their diagram was the shift tower. When you click on the "more info" tab for that, it dosesn't describe the shift tower, but an oil seal. Ultimately we decided that the part I wanted was #4 on the diagram described as "4864226X Oil Seal - (Fits inside the Shift Retainer - No. 6)" I ordered one for $5.25 plus S and H, I suppose the part will make it to Honolulu in about 2 weeks and if it is the right part, I'll post a follow up for the forum's benefit with photographs, etc. Fingers crossed, etc.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-29-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
SonofSam02
1994 YJ Wrangler 

that would be sweet
i looked all over for about a week and couldnt find one
SonofSam02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2008, 10:40 AM   #10
knipdm01
1995 YJ Wrangler 

check out rsgear.com great support and many oem parts with the mopar sticker on them!
knipdm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2008, 02:34 PM   #11
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I was searching and found the part you need for $12.95
http://www.thejeep.com/aisin.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59
Unread 01-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #12
merlin7782
1997 TJ Wrangler 

CAll MAN-TRANS, they have the part... 1-877-626-8726
merlin7782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2008, 03:43 PM   #13
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you Google 4864226X you will find lots of sources.
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin7782
CAll MAN-TRANS, they have the part... 1-877-626-8726
Unread 01-29-2008, 04:33 PM   #14
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

are you sure it's not 83500519
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2008, 05:28 PM   #15
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That number is for the complete tower/retainer and its high dollar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctm
are you sure it's not 83500519

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.