AX15 shift stick removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX15 shift stick removal

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-01-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
kimvansa
1992 YJ Wrangler 

AX15 shift stick removal

Anyone have any tips on how to remove the shift stick (gear change stick) from an AX15 without taking the whole assembly out of the top of the transmission. I know they push on to a square end section similar to the 4WD stick but I can't make this move at all. I need to swap this stick out for another I have as the knob bust off!!

kimvansa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
$300WRANGLER

Easiest just to remove the 4 bolts and take the whole thing out at least it was for me.

Scott
$300WRANGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
cosminciortan
1995 YJ Wrangler 

1- replace just the knob. cut, grind, rethred as required
2- to take out the stick:
-remove rubber boot and dust boot to give yourself acces to the top of the tranny.
-you will now see a smaller rubber cap where the stick meets the ax15. pull this up and out of the way.
- this is where it gets tricky: using two fingers, push down as hard as you can on the small metal plate (~2"diam) surrounding the stick. it should go down about 1/2-1". continue to push as you twist your fingers to the left, as to rotate the retainer plate.
- this will unlock the retainer and it should pop up when you release
- the stick is now unlocked and should be pulled out with little effort
- the whole thing can be done from under the car as well (you'll need plenty of room -> elevator, ramp or pit)
if i can do it, you can do it
cosminciortan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
Danimal713
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone have any tips on how to remove the shift stick (gear change stick) from an AX15 without taking the whole assembly out of the top of the transmission. I know they push on to a square end section similar to the 4WD stick but I can't make this move at all. I need to swap this stick out for another I have as the knob bust off!!
removing the shifter shaft from the transmission is what was given for an answer but not what he was asking. The shaft is in 2 pieces and the square part he mentioned is at the joint. I too am trying to figure out how to get the top shaft off the bottom part that fits into the AX-15 top. The knob snapped off with the threads even using PB Blaster. I have a new complete shaft but the bottom part on original is in better shape so I want to use it instead with the top shaft. Does anyone know how to get the 2 pieces of the sshaft apart?
Danimal713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think you can remove the top part from the bottom. It's bonded rubber. The metal retainer just pushes down and turns 1/8 of a turn and the shifter is out. If it's rusted then that's all the more reason to get it out and clen it out. The one in my son's 93 and my 92 came right out. push down and use a bit of grit cloth under your thumbs to get traction on the smooth steel to turn it.
Unread 03-30-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
Danimal713
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The bottom part that twists into the top of the xmission goes in & comes out fine. The shaft is in 2 sections & I need to get them apart to remove the rubber inner boot and also replace the top part of the shaft because the threads twisted off inside the knob. The top of the bottom part of the shaft is the square chunk of metal mentioned in the original post. It looks press fit into the bottom of the top part of the shaft. Anyone have any idea how to get it out?
Danimal713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ok I think I found what your looking for.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...hifter-513891/

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
tonyindawoods

lift the small rubber boot up ..push down on top of shifter and turn left..that gets your stick out...to seperate the stick you need to put 2 pieces of thin metal in that sqare piece {2 little balls hold it on }or put it in a vise grab one side with visegrip and give it a shot
tonyindawoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.