AX15 to NV3550 swap Qs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX15 to NV3550 swap Qs

1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

AX15 to NV3550 swap Qs

My AX15 is just about done. I located a NV3550 freshly rebuilt at a good price. I understand its just about a direct bolt on/swap. Couple Questions tho. Can i re-use my clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing and Throw out bearing from the AX 15? I just put in a new kit about 1200 miles ago. Also, can i re-use my AX15 shifter? Can I also re-use my np231j? (I'm 99% sure that I can but want to make sure). Thanks.

[QUOTE=Anticanman;14148985]If they're gonna bend you over for that much, I'd definitely pay extra for the lube!![/QUOTE]

Jeep Build thread:

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/94-yj-build-thread-1234264/[/url]
stratostix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes to clutch/PP/TO bearing. Likely your pilot will be fine as well, so long as you have the 0.750" input snout on your AX15 and that matches your NV3550 (it should). Unlikely you will need to remove your clutch assembly, and you should be able to just yank out your AX 15 and directly bolt in the NV3550.

I don't know about your shifter, at all. I do know there are 2 versions to the 3550 shifter, but they both go on the same shifter stub.

The bellhousing for the AX15 will directly bolt to the NV3550. Take a few moments to express thanks that you have the external slave so you don't have to mess with that at all. Yes, it would still bolt up even if you had a pre-94 version internal slave.

Yes, your NP231 bolts to the NV3550. As I seem to recall back in the wastelands of my cortex there may be an issue in bolting up the T case shifter though. Someone sober will need to post up a solution to that issue.

Are you SURE your AX15 is fixing to take a dirtnap? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...stion-1418288/

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
Yes to clutch/PP/TO bearing. Likely your pilot will be fine as well, so long as you have the 0.750" input snout on your AX15 and that matches your NV3550 (it should). Unlikely you will need to remove your clutch assembly, and you should be able to just yank out your AX 15 and directly bolt in the NV3550.

I don't know about your shifter, at all. I do know there are 2 versions to the 3550 shifter, but they both go on the same shifter stub.

The bellhousing for the AX15 will directly bolt to the NV3550. Take a few moments to express thanks that you have the external slave so you don't have to mess with that at all. Yes, it would still bolt up even if you had a pre-94 version internal slave.

Yes, your NP231 bolts to the NV3550. As I seem to recall back in the wastelands of my cortex there may be an issue in bolting up the T case shifter though. Someone sober will need to post up a solution to that issue.

Are you SURE your AX15 is fixing to take a dirtnap? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...stion-1418288/

Yes, I'm positive. After going over the Jeep extensively today with a buddy of mine, listening to all sounds and testing everything out, it all came down to the transmission. I realized that I dont only get bearing noises in 5th. 5th was just louder than other gears.
As for the T-case shifter, I do have to get an adapter. Cost about $40. That's fine.

[QUOTE=Anticanman;14148985]If they're gonna bend you over for that much, I'd definitely pay extra for the lube!![/QUOTE]

Jeep Build thread:

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/94-yj-build-thread-1234264/[/url]
stratostix is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.