AX15 identification - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX15 identification

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-14-2014, 10:17 PM   #1
rickdavis81
1992 YJ Wrangler 

AX15 identification

When I bought my '92 Wrangler the transmission was stuck in 3rd and the shift shaft wouldn't budge. Instead wasting more time on it I found one on craigslist for a good price. I didn't realize at the time that there were 2 different tip sizes even though the input shaft splines are the same size and count. Is there anyway to tell the year of the transmission without pulling it? If it is the smaller tipped of the two can I just swap flywheels and pilot bearings?

rickdavis81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Early YJ up to 92 had the 0.590" tip and 92 onwards including the NV3550s had the 0.750" tip. 92 was a transition year though but likely your trans has the bigger tip on it, but you'd have to pull it to check to be sure. It is possible to knock out (drill holes in it, then chisel fracture) the BIG reducer that the pilot hammers into, and replace that whole element. Not sure where to get the big reducer, but in some circumstances I have seen it come with the pilot bearing. You can contact Novak or Advanced Adaptors and they can tell you more. On the 4.0, the pilot does not go into the flywheel, it goes into the back of the crankshaft. Changing flywheel won't help. Pictures coming.

The part circled in wobbly purple is the reducer I'm talking about, the pilot you can see in the middle of it, half-way pulled.

Tip comparison, 0.590 left, 0.750 right. The input shaft can be changed, but that requires a tear down of the gear case, it's a long run for a short slide. I am not aware of a sleeve that can be hammered onto the small tip variety to convert it to the larger style, but machine shops are resourceful. Not sure this could be done without pulling the input shaft anyway, but you can check with your local machine shop.

Drop your skid plate, with something holding up the back end of the drivetrain, on the bottom of the transmission intermediate plate, you will see a series of numbers set into the bottom of the int. plate. Wipe off the grease and trail salsa, and tell me what those numbers are. I can tell you more about your transmission from those numbers. If you pull off your shifter and boot and look from above, you may be lucky enough to be able to see a PN in Green ink on a silver sticky tag on the top of the intermediate plate. More info there as well that could help.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 12:13 AM   #3
rickdavis81
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to have to pull the tranny anyways in a few weeks for a clutch swap I'm afraid. I'll probably wait till then, but if I get time I'll look for the numbers. I know my original transmission had the big tip just wasn't sure on the replacement. I can machine a sleeve at work and heat it and slide it on if needed. Been nice if they would of changed spline size or something so I wouldn't screw up lol. Thanks for the help I'll let you know if I get the numbers.
Unread 04-15-2014, 12:49 AM   #4
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you can machine up a hardened steel sleeve to slip over the 0.590" that is some serious skill. I can mic the actual 0.750 size on several AX 15 I happen to have hanging around but you can always check fit on a loose pilot bearing. If you just happen to have time to make more than one of those conversion sleeves, I for one would be interested in having one. Or two. I rebuild AX 15 as a hobby and have a variety of carcasses laying about in need.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 04-15-2014, 05:37 AM   #5
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

As recommended above, Advanced Adapters will have the exact pilot bearing (or pilot bushing) that will work for you. It'll be about $25 or so.
Unread 04-15-2014, 06:41 AM   #6
rickdavis81
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It shouldn't be too hard to make the sleeve if needed. I'll check later to see if AA has a pilot bearing to go from the small tip to larger tip hole. Hopefully I don't need any of this though.
Unread 04-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
rickdavis81
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Managed to get ahold of the trannys PO. He said it came out of a 91. I'm not going to drive it until I can fix the situation. Have to wait till my Harley is done. Probably just swap input shafts from my old tranny. Good time to do my SYE also. Hopefully I haven't damaged too much other stuff.
Unread 04-15-2014, 09:20 PM   #8
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The 91 will have the small tip snout.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.