AX15 grinding or chattering in neutral hard shift - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX15 grinding or chattering in neutral hard shift

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 11-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #91
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool2BSquare View Post
I figure I'd toss my two cents in...
Sure glad I read this first because I ran into the very same issues, not being able to move the 5th gear rail until getting everything in neutral...the interlock pin on the floor when I cleaned up (my memory went directly to the drill bit fix)..so I'm having a typical rebuild experience except one you gents hadn't.

Although flint arrowheads do come to mind...
When trying to get the fifth gear spline gear loose with a 2 jaw puller behind the 5th counter gear that bugger would not budge and alas, chipped the !@#$ gear. I resorted to digging out my harmonic balancer puller and threading directly into the 5th spline gear (just as you would a harmonic balancer or steering wheel) and it popped right off...well not quite that easy but it DID come off. A new counter gear is @150 bucks...grrrrrr.

The shafts are going to the t-shop this afternoon after work for some press action. I'm not convinced it needs parts replaced, I'll see what Bill at the trans shop thinks. ( I pulled this non-known condition trans apart as a precaution, plus it drooled, also it has been gotten into before judging from the orange RTV used to glue it together)

Aside from that nice XJ....but it still aint a Wrangler...nothing beats topless summer driving
Oh jeez that sounds fun. Dude keep us updated on how you make out. Your right its not a wrangler but to tell you the truth I only had the top down twice this summer, and I drove it every day. Hopefully I will start working on rebuilding the wrangler and getting the 350 rebuilt. dreams dreams. I've been on the light duty list for a while now. I'm in the process of a couple minor surgeries at the dermatoligist. Each visit consist of stitches, beings its on my neck and back I can't really exert myself, to move the tranny stuff around, this sucks. I got my bearing kit and just have to get the stuff off the shaft. When that happens a couple years from now I'll let you guys know.

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
xwildman138x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #92
twomanyjeeps
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry to chime in a hijack the thread again, but I've finally ripped the case open again on the trans to look for the home for that little interlock pin and god save me I can't find it. Does it simply fit into one of the grooves like for the interlock balls, because I don't see any holes in the shaft save for the one that the shift fork screw goes into. You mentioned that you might take a picture to show exactly where it goes, would a picture still be possible in your condition. Other wise a decent verbal explanation might help like is for the intermediate plate or the reverse shift arm collar that it slides through. I'm trying to use common sense as much as possible so I don't have to resort to hijacking but I can't seem to think this one through.
twomanyjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2008, 09:21 AM   #93
Kool2BSquare
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The interlock pin that had mysteriously appeared on the floor had come from the 1-2 shift rail.
I had to pop off the little c-clip on the rail to get it to slide out far enough to replace it.
The other rails all have to be in a specific position to allow a different one to move (I'm at work right now so I don't have it in front of me). I had the 5th gear rail out completely, the check ball from the reverse rail out. Had to move the reverse rail back and forth a bit until I found the right position to allow the 1-2 rail to move. (Don't freak if the interlock pin falls out of the reverse shaft, you can get it back in without pulling the rail) I suggest before pulling too much apart move the rails around a bit to get a feel for how the move and which has to move first. AX15 shift rails is much like a Rubik's cube it seems. Don't be afraid of it, you 'll figure it out.
Most importantly DON'T FORCE ANYTHING! It WILL move if everything is aligned correctly.
Unread 11-14-2008, 09:53 AM   #94
twomanyjeeps
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I had found the home for it just the other day. When I did the rest of the rebuild, I had only removed the 5th gear shift rail and that was when I heard the pin (I just thought it was one of the balls) fall out. Therefore I expected the pin to be somewhere on the 5th shift rail, finally after studying the FSM some more I came across a figure that shows the position of some of the pins and balls. After sliding out the reverse shift rail a little bit, I saw the hole for the pin conveniently hidden under one of the detent balls.

Unread 11-14-2008, 03:18 PM   #95
Kool2BSquare
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome ! Glad you figured it out!
Pretty cool little gizmo they have for keeping the gears from clashing...Really makes you wanna be gentle when shifting these babies though.
Unread 11-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #96
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomanyjeeps View Post
Yeah I had found the home for it just the other day. When I did the rest of the rebuild, I had only removed the 5th gear shift rail and that was when I heard the pin (I just thought it was one of the balls) fall out. Therefore I expected the pin to be somewhere on the 5th shift rail, finally after studying the FSM some more I came across a figure that shows the position of some of the pins and balls. After sliding out the reverse shift rail a little bit, I saw the hole for the pin conveniently hidden under one of the detent balls.

dude that diagram is AWESOME I'll have a blowup of that pic on the bench when i eventually get back to it!!! Thanks

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 11-14-2008, 08:13 PM   #97
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Awesome ! Glad you figured it out!
Pretty cool little gizmo they have for keeping the gears from clashing...Really makes you wanna be gentle when shifting these babies though.
every time I shift the new jeep I think about the shifting process and I find myself holding the shift longer or keeping the clutch in longer when shifting because it seems to shift smoother when going through the gears. also I don't downshift anymore because somebody on here was saying "brakes are cheaper than rebuilding a tranny" I thought that was pretty good, I feel every time you shift you loose a little on those syncros so why not throw it in neutral and let the breaks do the work. I used to always downshift, I still catch myself doing it once in a while.

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 11-14-2008, 10:11 PM   #98
twomanyjeeps
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know how many miles you have on your jeep but mine has 191 on the ticker if you can really believe that, and I'm sure that this one has been extremely abused before I got it. Knowing that the tranny lasted this long and could have lasted even longer, I don't plan on using any kind of special driving method on the tranny provided it does operate correctly. Mine isnt a daily driver so I have that luxury, its gonna take a long time to put another 191 k on it.
Unread 11-15-2008, 08:54 PM   #99
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Mines a daily driver and the only thing I have to drive so thats why I'm very easy on her, at least till the spare tranny is back together

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 03-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #100
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Hey guys, well today we got everything pressed off the input and output shaft and new bearings and syncros installed. Ready to start rebuilding the tranny. Just a update. I know I have been procrastinating for a long time but its getting nicer out and time to start working!!

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 04-01-2009, 10:48 AM   #101
Kool2BSquare
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I never followed up on my progress...sorry guys.
All installed and works great.
I did the Advance Adapters SYE kit with Tom Woods driveshaft combo.
Used a Hurst shifter, make sure you LocTite the bolts that hold the stick to the shifter, I had one fall out on the trail Sunday...talk about "Oh S!@#" luckily it stayed inside the boot so was an easy fix.
The AX15 is a bit 'notchy' going into both 2nd and reverse, I've been told it's probably just the new syncros.
Was also advised to use 75-90 NOT 80-90 or straight 90.

Happy trails!
Unread 04-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #102
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I never followed up on my progress...sorry guys.
All installed and works great.
I did the Advance Adapters SYE kit with Tom Woods driveshaft combo.
Used a Hurst shifter, make sure you LocTite the bolts that hold the stick to the shifter, I had one fall out on the trail Sunday...talk about "Oh S!@#" luckily it stayed inside the boot so was an easy fix.
The AX15 is a bit 'notchy' going into both 2nd and reverse, I've been told it's probably just the new syncros.
Was also advised to use 75-90 NOT 80-90 or straight 90.

Happy trails!
I'll have to make sure I have 75-90. I thought there was some special go juice that people were recommending to use instead of just regular 75-90. Glad to hear that your rebuild went well!

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 06-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #103
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I just came across this and saw that I never finished what happened to me on the rebuild. I got everything I needed all parts pressed and ready to go. So one afternoon I started rebuilding. Now I had the input shaft sitting on the bench and started assembling everything together. I got all the way done ready for the case so I went to slide the input shaft on and realized that step .5 right before step 1 was put the input shaft and output shaft together then start assembling. I was so pissed I threw the tools on the bench and walked out. Left it on the bench for like 6 months and finally went back to it like jan of this year. tore it back down then back up got the case on it ready to go. put the stick on to shift it and see if it worked. 1st and 2nd worked 5th and reverse worked, but 2nd and third no dice. I slid it aside and said I'm gonna have to tear it back down and see what I did wrong. So this past weekend I was at a bbq at my moms (where the jeep and tranny are) and my friend stopped by to grab something to eat. Hes a mechanic and body guy. He said "you get that tranny together?" So I explained my situation. He says "you try turning the input shaft its spinning pretty fast at that speed" I said you know what I don't think I could turn the shaft before, lets try something. I grabbed a pipe wrench put it on the back part of the input shaft, jiggle jiggle jiggle, PING. I said that sounded like something. Shifted 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th and reverse SMOOOOTH. Shaft turned smooth and everything. I'm so happy!

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.