AX15 grinding or chattering in neutral hard shift - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX15 grinding or chattering in neutral hard shift

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-06-2008, 08:07 PM   #76
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, you need bearing splitters. They wedge behind the bearing, or the gear, then they sit on the saddle of your press, and you then apply the force to the shaft. When the bearing starts to press off, hold one hand under the dangling assembly so it doesn't fall.
A subtle trick. The bearing splitter is flat on one side, dished or concave on the other. Make sure you use the flat side against a gear when you push off a gear, this spreads where the force contacts the gear. If you use the concave side the splitter will only be contacting against the side/edge of a few or the teeth, and you can "flake" off a chunk of gear, sorta the way you make arrowheads out of flint. You don't want to damage your gears.
I have never pressed off bearings, and then re-used them. I honestly believe they are cheap enough to use new ones, if you damage one you won't notice it until you are assembled and back on the road, and then your stuff breaks down and you're hosed. Buy a rebuild kit and put on new stuff.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2008, 08:13 PM   #77
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Oh, sorry. Yes, you put the splitter (flat side) against the back of the gear where your finger is in the above photo when it comes time to press off the gear. I tried pushing off bearing and gear simultaneously. I was using a 30ton press, and it really started deflecting the 3/4 inch plates across the saddle, a span of only about 6 inches. I chickened out at that scene and pressed them off one at a time. The shop I use also has a 50 ton hydraulic press, operated by a foot pedal. I steered well away from that monster.
One of the subtle benefits of being in the military is access to military sponsored hobby shops. They are well equipped, staffed, and are self sufficient. It only costs me $2 an hour to use their presses. Pearl Harbor has an excellent shop.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 10-07-2008, 02:48 PM   #78
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome thanks man, I thought maybe if I could reuse I would only because money is so tight, I'm trying to find something to sell to get the money for the kit. I'll keep you informed as to what happens

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
xwildman138x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #79
twomanyjeeps
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I just thought I throw in 2 cents again. Those bearing splitters that you showed from harbor frieght will not cut the mustard (ask me how I know). First off...the threads are not strong enough and you will send parts flying, not a good thing. Also, even the 3" one is too small to wrap around the the input and output bearing, you can try getting longer rods for the collar but its not really worth it. I was able to use the 3" one to get the small on of the cluster gear but that was it. I highly recommend, (if you can't borrow one from somewhere) getting a large 5" one. Sears has them but only as a special order. I used one that size and backed the bearing out enough just by bolting the collar on. With the extra room b/t the gear and the bearing I was able to use a large jaw puller to get the rest of the work (the splitter I borowed didn't have rods long enough to reach the end of the output shaft). You should still be able to use the 5" for smaller bearings too and reuse it if you ever decide to start working on axles too

Last edited by twomanyjeeps; 10-07-2008 at 05:52 PM..
twomanyjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2008, 06:49 PM   #80
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I just happen to work for sears go figure. I'll have to ask one of the people in hardware the website doesn't list the size of the splitter, it probably lists it in the system though. Thanks man you saved me some cash because I was gonna buy the harbor freight one. I guess I'll have to spend more and get the big one.

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 10-20-2008, 05:56 AM   #81
twomanyjeeps
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hows the rebuild coming along??? If your having trouble locating a good bearing splitter, you might want to just take the whole output shaft to a trans shop. I had managed to pretty much do the whole disassembly however the 1-2 hub would not budge and I didn't really have anything to grip on to it. Finally I called a shop and just gave them the new parts along with the output shaft, they removed the last hub for me and reassembled the output and pressed on the new sealed bearings. I ended up paying about 100$ for the labor but it was a big help.
Unread 10-20-2008, 06:04 PM   #82
Kool2BSquare
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Following along

I'm following this thread as well, hoping all comes out as it should.
I bought a AX15 and NP231 out of CraigsList to replace my BA10/5 and NP207.
Not going to put it in before I pull it apart for a "looksie".
Great thread, awesome pics
Kool2BSquare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #83
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well Wildman, your fan club is still rooting for you.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-20-2008, 08:52 PM   #84
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry guys I haven't been online in a while. I've been real busy with a bunch of stuff and heres the update. I said foo that on buying a splitter. Their just too expensive. My buddy works for a body shop and he said I could bring the shaft in and we could use their splitter and press. I just haven't had time to get in touch with him. Hopefully this week sometime. I will let you guys know with more pics as soon as I get it tore down.

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 10-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #85
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Well guys the plans changed a little (gee what else is new). Heres my new ride.

95 cherokee 6 cyl 5 speed manual with the ax15. Got it for 1300. So heres the new plan. The wrangler is going to stay off the road. I finally have the money for the bearings. I'm going to get them and finish the tranny. The tranny is also going to stay out. The rebuilt tranny will be a spare for the cherokee and the motor out of the wrangler will also be a spare. Once some money is saved up (like 20 years from now) I can start on putting the 350 in it. I really need the cherokee for work and to transport my puppy (my shepherd is 94 lbs now and doesn't fit on the front seat of the wrangler anymore) As soon as I get the bearing kit and start on the assembly process I'll be back. Thanks guys

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 10-24-2008, 04:24 PM   #86
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Prediction....you're gonna miss having the Wrangler so much, you're going to be putting that transmission back in it pretty soon...........

Best of luck to you.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-24-2008, 08:09 PM   #87
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah I've parked it before so I know all about the yearning for the wrangler. Only thing is I can't afford to have two vehicles on the road and this gives me a excuse to start working on it. At least this time I will still have a jeep to work on that I drive gonna have to build some bumpers and work on getting it up in the air a couple inches, hey Christmas is coming right

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 10-27-2008, 10:26 PM   #88
twomanyjeeps
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I can't say that I don't respect your choice, I'm actually a huge fan of the xj's and have an 01 for my daily driver. However I wasn't lucky enough to find a 2-door with a manual. Small hint, if you want a little bit of hieght for not much, go with Rubicon express budget lift and 30's. Doesnt hurt the mileage at all and I don't hit my head as much when I'm reaching into the back.
Unread 10-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #89
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I'll have to look into that. Already have the 30's on the wrangler

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 11-10-2008, 11:41 AM   #90
Kool2BSquare
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Following along...and participating

I figure I'd toss my two cents in...
Sure glad I read this first because I ran into the very same issues, not being able to move the 5th gear rail until getting everything in neutral...the interlock pin on the floor when I cleaned up (my memory went directly to the drill bit fix)..so I'm having a typical rebuild experience except one you gents hadn't.

Although flint arrowheads do come to mind...
When trying to get the fifth gear spline gear loose with a 2 jaw puller behind the 5th counter gear that bugger would not budge and alas, chipped the !@#$ gear. I resorted to digging out my harmonic balancer puller and threading directly into the 5th spline gear (just as you would a harmonic balancer or steering wheel) and it popped right off...well not quite that easy but it DID come off. A new counter gear is @150 bucks...grrrrrr.

The shafts are going to the t-shop this afternoon after work for some press action. I'm not convinced it needs parts replaced, I'll see what Bill at the trans shop thinks. ( I pulled this non-known condition trans apart as a precaution, plus it drooled, also it has been gotten into before judging from the orange RTV used to glue it together)

Aside from that nice XJ....but it still aint a Wrangler...nothing beats topless summer driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.