AX15 grinding or chattering in neutral hard shift - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX15 grinding or chattering in neutral hard shift

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 09-29-2008, 10:18 PM   #61
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Will go mic the thing. Regarding the pilot bearing. I will resurrect a thread that may be helpful to you. Using a socket is correct, you just have to make sure you install the new pilot "numbers out" since that is the thicker side of the race.......................have to do some searching and will post again in a few minutes.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2008, 10:28 PM   #62
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Go to this thread, look at the pilot bearing photos I posted, read details, etc. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-new-rebuilt-transmission-607519/ will tell you more than you wanna know, but you'll be an expert now.

Input snout mic's out on mine at 0.746, so pertnear close to 3/4 inch

Umm, sorry. Regarding the snaprings, they each have different part numbers, at least in my parts CD.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.

Last edited by Opihi59; 09-29-2008 at 10:47 PM..
Unread 09-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #63
twomanyjeeps
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Look on the snap rings you want to replace and the dealership can order the snap ring based on the letter that was on there. (assuming they didn't shoot across the garage when you removed them...happend to me) If it is lost, take a feeler gauge to see what size you would need. The only bad thing is that the dealership doesn't stock those rings and getting them in takes about 4-5 days in my case so if you do need to make some guess work, try odering one size up and one size down if you don't have the patience.
twomanyjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2008, 04:42 PM   #64
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Opihi59 you must have the bigger tipped input shaft. I have the skinny ended input shaft on mine. The spare tranny I just bought for 75 bucks has the big ended input shaft and the external slave bellhousing. I guess the internal hydrolic throwout bearing setup uses the skinny setup. I have to look at my pilot bearing in my jeep to see if i put it in backwards and hammered on it. Oh and TMJ I have the ring so I will see if there is anything visible on it and do what you said take it to the dealer. Thanks again guys I would have never made it this far without you.

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
xwildman138x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2008, 07:56 PM   #65
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you have the opportunity to convert your Jeep to the external slave, I strongly recommend it. I'm unsure what year your Jeep is, but with a 4.2 I would have to guess 90 or older. At any rate, consider the conversion while you have everything torn down. I spent $50 for the bellhousing, and another $45 + shipping for the long-snout front bearing retainer. For $75 you're way ahead of the game.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-30-2008, 09:37 PM   #66
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I have the throwout bearing the shift fork the bellhousing the only thing I'm missing is the slave, but I have a brand new clutch master cylinder in there and a brand new line. the throwout is new too so I'm thinking I might just worry about that conversion (or a variation of it) when I put the 350 in it (way doooown the road) Jeeps a 89

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 09-30-2008, 11:09 PM   #67
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Good plan, but when you put in a SBC, you're gonna need a special (expensive) bellhousing, like from Advanced Adapters. Do the external slave conversion now, as part of your current project. It likely will not add too much to your process.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-01-2008, 01:54 PM   #68
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I have to buy the part that mounts on the bellhousing that actually moves the fork. How much is that and can I use the same clutch master cylinder I have and the same line going down?

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 10-01-2008, 02:17 PM   #69
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I found out how much the slave costs. Little less than a hundred looks like. If I use the parts I have including the input shaft I can kind of kill two birds with one stone, new imput shaft and external mod. I see what your saying now. I'm a little slow. I guess my only questions for this minute are do I keep the same clutch master cylinder and line that goes down to the tranny, and I just have to get a pilot bearing that is made for the bigger tipped input shaft? It will fit in my motor? Also guess my wife didn't know I was putting money aside for tranny parts because she paid bills with it. Gotta start saving again.

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 10-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #70
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

For whatever reason, clutch masters and slaves often fail close to eachother. Replace just one, and the other fails shortly thereafter. Best to replace both, and if you do the external slave mod, there is a one piece, pre-bled clutch master/slave unit that is the best thing to go with.
I have been luckily spared the issue that many Jeepers have regarding different size bushings, or different size bearings for the pilot, and I honestly do not know the various combinations of these various options. It may come down to taking careful measurements, and going thru a pile of pilot bearings at the local parts store with a helpful parts man. I am assuming you intend to take the larger snout input shaft from your donor transmission, and replace the smaller snouted input on the one you are rebuilding. Before doing this, I'd look closely into the pilot bearing/bushing issue to make sure it doesn't end up being a mission stopper when you go to reassemble. I have read stories of woe on the forum from those who had to take their bushing to a machine shop to have it sized. I have also read that Novak conversions (has online store, 1-800 #, etc) has some of the obscure pilots. To do the external slave mod, you don't need to change the input shaft itself, but you do need to change the input bearing retainer. It has a long snout on it that the throwout bearing glides back and forth upon vs the flat-faced input bearing retainer that matches that hideous internal slave.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-01-2008, 06:56 PM   #71
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

What stinks about this is the master cylinder is new the line is new and the throwout bearing is new thats why I was leaning towards keeping it for now. If I have to change the input shaft then I would have to go with the external. Also I am having no luck finding that combo of master slave and line, I'm probably using the wrong terminology, I'll go to my parts guy and ask him if it comes to that

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 10-01-2008, 08:18 PM   #72
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I suppose if you have new line/master, then new slave (external) wouldn't be a bad combination. Unless you're planning on keeping the internal slave, ew. Honestly, I'd look at the present to be the perfect time. I got my clutch/master/slave line combo from Morris 4X4 center/Cyber Jeep in Pompano Bch Fl. HEre's the part link: http://www.cyberjeep.com/prodinfo.asp?number=52104113&
Yes, the one you need is the 94/5 model year. You never know, you may be able to offer up your barely used/new parts on craigslist or on this forum and get some of your money back that way. Just think of all you are saving by rebuilding your transmission yourself. That alone would justify expense of some more/special tools.........at least that is how I justify tool purchases to the Dragon Lady.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-02-2008, 07:51 PM   #73
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Dragon lady hahahahaha I thought I was the only one who had one of them Also I like the way you think

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 10-06-2008, 08:05 PM   #74
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Ok doing it your way transfering the bigger tipped input shaft to my tranny. Have a couple more questions and problems. Ok I got 5th gear off, no biggie. Now I'm up to the bearing, the instructions say "press" it off but how the hell am I supposed to do that you can't get anything behind it to hold it so you can push on the shaft so the bearing will come off.

Ok so if I get that bearing off it says I have to press off, I think it was first gear assy, can you pull against the backside of the gear? on here

I have a press but I don't have anything to slide in behind the bearing or am I going at it the wrong way. Also found out from my parts guy the two different sized pilot bearings both have the same outside diameter. We thought that they must right, but its confirmed now.

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 10-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #75
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

would something like this work?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93980
Also forgot to mention this. The 2wd tranny I have that I'm using the input shaft out of and the gears, I think was never used. The guy told me he never used it after he got it, it just sat under the bench. Now if this was a rebuild and has new syncros, bearings and such. Am I crazy in thinking that I could reuse the bearings out of the rebuilt tranny (only if I pop it open and its brand new inside) Guess what I'm asking is will it hurt the bearing being removed however I have to get it off. Or can I remove bearings off the 2wd tranny and put them on mine.

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.