AX15 grinding or chattering in neutral hard shift - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX15 grinding or chattering in neutral hard shift

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #46
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If it wasn't for you I would have forced it. I'm just hoping the little bit of hammering I did do didn't mess it up. I hope to get back to my moms to work on it tomorrow morn so hopefully tomorrow night I will have more info for ya. Thanks again

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
xwildman138x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2008, 03:06 PM   #47
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

My apologies in advance, as I will be taking my Boy Scout Troop remote and won't be back online until about Sunday noon Hawaii time. You will find you can pull 5th counter gear with a standard puller, the rest of the bearings/gears will require bearing splitter/press to get off. Will check on you on Sunday. Stick to the manual, it will get you thru a lot.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2008, 05:49 PM   #48
twomanyjeeps
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Glad to hear is going well for you, sorry I misled you earlier I didn't mean to imply going medieval on it. From now on everything I say should be taken very cautiously as still havent had a chance to test out the tranny. If I can though I'd like to ask you a question while your at the same time in the rebuild that I'm worrying about mine. This a pic of a pin I found after everything was back together. I think this fell out when I pushed out the 5th rail but I dont remember seeing it, just hearing it, but I thought it was one of the balls I saw rolling. Does this look familiar to you? Ophihi what do you think. TIA

twomanyjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2008, 07:32 PM   #49
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Measure it. If it is about 0.187 in diameter (that is by memory.....) it is one of the interlock pins. I can't recall the length off my head though. Only reason I remember is that I lost one of my interlock pins, and at the 11th hour I had to make one by cutting the end off of a drill bit shank and rounding it over on both ends on the grinder. It works. Sure looks like an interlock pin to me.
If you are re-assembled and back in action..........warning, Will Rogers, warning--robot arms flailing, etc..........

Wait--Does TIA mean the same thing to you as to me??? Transient Ischemic Attack? AKA Amaurosis Fugax? Jeez, the world must be just crawling with Vascular Surgeons wrenching on Jeeps.....

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 09-26-2008, 08:21 PM   #50
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Twomanyjeeps I'll let you know when I get mine apart. I didn't slide the 5th rail out I'll be doing it tomorrow. Opihi59 have a great camping trip talk to you sunday.

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 09-27-2008, 09:53 PM   #51
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Hey guys got the whole thing tore down today, except for the gears off the shaft. I wanted to wait till I had the replacement parts to do that. I emailed transparts to see about that kit so we'll see what they say. This is pretty much the only thing I found would this cause the whole problem?
It was the only syncro that looked like this

This gear had shinny edges in some spots but I don't know if it was just cut that way or what it doesn't looke like its worn or anything but what do you guys think.

Just some miscellaneous pics of my disaster

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 09-27-2008, 10:03 PM   #52
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

twomanyjeeps that is the small "interlock" that was in the 5th gear rail itself. There is a small hole across the shaft that it was in. Pretty sure thats where mine flew out of. all the interlocks inside the intermediate plate itself were fatter. Yeah dude I would say thats pretty important, might want to consider putting that back in. Otherwise you might see that 5th gear rail flying off into the woods when you shift into fifth, no wait that would be something that would happen to me.

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 09-28-2008, 12:51 PM   #53
twomanyjeeps
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help...Thankfully not much tear down is required to get to that point. I already tore apart my engine this weekend and will be taking the parts to the shop this week. I'll try to do it in the down time. Could you show a pic of the rail and where the hole is just so I know what I'll be looking for? As for your syncros, I had a shop press on the bearings and reassemble part of the output shaft for me (I highly recommend that), and I was told by them that in addition to the deformation on the syncro ring you noticed, if the syncro backs all the way up on to the face of the spline gear then it is starting to go bad. Thanks again for your help
Unread 09-28-2008, 01:52 PM   #54
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Good job on the teardown/autopsy. The shiney part on the gear, shouldn't be that way, should match the rest of the gears, perhaps a piece of sheared off brass synchro got smushed in there. If there is no recognizeable damage to the teeth or to the corresponding teeth on the counter gear, it likely will be okay.
As you press the various gears/bearings off the mainshaft, there may be other things that become apparent, but the damage to that synchro is significant. The shift hub wouldn't slide over that too well, likely would cause some shifting problems. There are some very subtle things that may be hard to notice, such as runout on the mainshaft. That is a pretty massive piece of steel, but something getting wedged between gearteeth that are designed to mesh with pretty close tolerances can damage the shaft by bending it a wee bit and put it outta spec. Keep tearing thru it and see what else you find. Once I get stuff put away here, I'll crack out the book and take a look at some other things.

Nice pictures.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-28-2008, 08:19 PM   #55
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Twomanyjeeps next time I'm at my parents house I will take a pic of the shift rail for you. Opihi59 I was thinking the same thing on the not shifting problem but would something like this cause the rattling/grinding noise in neutral. I was thinking that the shift fork for that shift sleeve wasn't where it was supposed to be when in neutral and that was causing the noise. What do you think? Everything works in relationship to each other if one thing isn't where it should be its going to cause problems for everything else? (also thinking about shift rails and if that rail wasn't being returned to its proper place for neutral to be really in neutral, hence the creeping forward when in neutral.)

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 09-28-2008, 10:05 PM   #56
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

When whatever it was gouged your Synchro, it had to dig into the (hardened steel) inside of the gear that rode up on that synchro. Mate the gear to the synchro and you'll see what I mean. That would practically keep the entire shaft "engaged." Likely what crept out was one of the inserts inside the shift sleeve and made that gouge. Or one of the circular springs crept out of position from some other effect. There are 3 of these inserts, per shift sleeve/hub, held inside the shift sleeve by 2 non-complete, circular springs. To be honest with you, I don't have a good idea on what would dislodge one of those, but see if one has some scoring to it. Also, it seems you would have noticed if one of those was laying in the bottom of your case.........from your pictures, that looks like it was to your 3/4 shift hub assembly, just rearward of your input shaft. If the input shaft bearing, or the pilot inside the input shaft were horribly worn, that could allow some demons to break loose in there. You likely would have noticed the bearings to be pretty shattered though and all you described thus far was synchro shrapnel in the bottom of the case.
Keep looking critically at it as you tear it down further, there may be more to the story.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-29-2008, 03:08 PM   #57
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I need to get another mic to check the end of the input shaft. I didn't like the damage that was originally on the shaft where it rides on the pilot bearing in the motor. I can't seem to find the proper size of the shaft to compare it to mine. So I have to find that. Yeah its the 3-4 side and the half clip seems loose. Yeah I need to examine that area more. Where can I get those select a size c clips like the one on 5th gear

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 09-29-2008, 03:13 PM   #58
twomanyjeeps
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The large select fit snap rings are purchased at the Stealership.
Unread 09-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #59
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Agree--select fit snaprings are a dealership item. Take a few photos of the input shaft damage and post those up, from what I can see of it in the 3rd photo of your series above, it doesn't look grossly scored. I can mic the input snout on a spare AX15 I just happen to have laying around and tell you what I come up with. The other thing you can/should do is get a replacement pilot bearing, lube it and slide it onto the input shaft snout, see how it fits/feels when you turn it.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-29-2008, 07:48 PM   #60
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

It looked bad before but I have since hit it with the emery cloth. It doesn't look bad now but I don't think the thickness is correct. If you could mic yours that would be awesome. I am definitely going to order another pilot bearing because the new one I put in when I put the clutch in, I didn't have a bearing install tool so I used a socket thinking that would work and it looked like it goofed up the end of the bearing. Thats why I want to get another one just to do it. I bought a pilot bearing install kit so this one I can put in correctly. Do those large select fit rings come in a kit or you get just one when you order it.

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.