AX15 grinding or chattering in neutral hard shift - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX15 grinding or chattering in neutral hard shift

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-22-2008, 09:50 AM   #31
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah thats true. When it was all together the input shaft was sloppy thats why I thought maybe that pilot bearing. The orange coating on the input shafts main bearing was all peeling away and it was rusty Hopefully tonight I will get to work on it some more. Oh and I have a box of labels for every single part, I don't want to play the guessing game

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
xwildman138x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2008, 05:02 PM   #32
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Well I got as far as removing the fifth gear shift rail and that was it for tonight. That shift rail would not come out. The lock ball is out theres nothing in the hole the bolt is out of the shift fork and there seems to be something holding it up in the intermediate plate. It almost seems like maybe a small shaving of the aluminum is peeled out and catching in the shift fork rail groove. I gave it a little tap with the rubber mallet but no luck. I can spin it back and forth just won't slide out. It even moves back and forth (in and out) about a 1/4 inch but no further. Did you have this problem on yours when you removed the rails? I'm wondering if I'm going to have to force it past that burr. Once its out I can fix the burr but right now I can't even see it. What do you think?

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 09-22-2008, 07:15 PM   #33
twomanyjeeps
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I remember having this problem too, only about a month ago, you do have to give it a good wind up hit, a little love tap isnt going to do it. I just got done rebuilding mine, if you need any advise let me know. Good luck with your rebuild.
twomanyjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2008, 08:10 PM   #34
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Ok awesome I don't mind wailing on it but I was at that point where I was thinking "don't start hammering on it there might be a reason" Thanks man I'll be back at it tomorrow. I'm possitive I'll have more questions, thanks again!

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 09-22-2008, 10:23 PM   #35
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I don't specifically remember that being a problem, just make sure that the other rails are in the neutral position as an interlock pin can be pushed into a groove in the 5th gear shift rail that you won't be able to see. Shift the other rails into neutral position, it should slide out. I am not inclined to recommend a hammer at this point. If possible remove the other rails or at least the next/adjacent one to make sure it isn't an interloc pin between the shafts within the intermediate plate that is the hold up.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #36
twomanyjeeps
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Very true, make sure everything is in nuetral. When I hit mine it wasnt a serious bashing, I came at the rail from the front to push it out torwards the rear, one good hit really about half a wind up with a 3lb dead blow hammer and the shaft practically came flying out the other end so be ready for that!
Unread 09-23-2008, 09:38 AM   #37
twomanyjeeps
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Also, I think there was only three interlock balls involved with the 5th shift rail. One is taken out through the intermidediate plate cover, the 2nd is in the plate underneath the rail and the third is in the reverse shift arm that the rail feeds through. Be sure your ready for the second and third ones to pop out otherwise they're sure to roll into the hardest corner in the workshop to get to.
Unread 09-23-2008, 02:23 PM   #38
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I removed three torx caps then springs and balls. they were in a row on the intermediate plate. I looked all over but maybe I am missing something thats not on the teardown sheet

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 09-23-2008, 11:39 PM   #39
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Those are the detent balls and detent springs that you removed.

There is a series of interlock balls and pins between the rails, within the intermediate plate. The purpose of these are to prevent engaging more than one gear at a time. When ONE gear is engaged, the shift shaft for that gear pushes the interlock pin into the other shift shafts and prevents them from moving--movement would engage another gear and that would be disaster for your gearbox. Make sure all the gears are in the neutral position, this would also include the shift shafts in the neutral position as well if you have disengaged the shift forks from the shafts. The mechanism is very simple, but quite clever. Pages 21-45 and 46 have some figures which show the interlock pins, also you will note the notches cut into the shift shafts in the drawings, one shaft out of position will push an interlock pin into one of the notches on the adjacent shift shafts and prevent them from moving in or out.
Don't give up. You can do this. I did it and I'm not smart (but you already know the rest)

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 09-24-2008, 07:37 AM   #40
twomanyjeeps
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
Those are the detent balls and detent springs that you removed.

There is a series of interlock balls and pins between the rails, within the intermediate plate. The purpose of these are to prevent engaging more than one gear at a time. When ONE gear is engaged, the shift shaft for that gear pushes the interlock pin into the other shift shafts and prevents them from moving--movement would engage another gear and that would be disaster for your gearbox. Make sure all the gears are in the neutral position, this would also include the shift shafts in the neutral position as well if you have disengaged the shift forks from the shafts. The mechanism is very simple, but quite clever. Pages 21-45 and 46 have some figures which show the interlock pins, also you will note the notches cut into the shift shafts in the drawings, one shaft out of position will push an interlock pin into one of the notches on the adjacent shift shafts and prevent them from moving in or out.
Don't give up. You can do this. I did it and I'm not smart (but you already know the rest)
No you have me a little worried. when I did mine, I only removed the 5th shift rail from the plate and left the all the other ones in, I didn't want to worry about them. However, when I was cleaning up the workshop I found a small pin behind the bench. I wanst even sure if it was from the tranny, when I put the 5th rail back in I only put the two interlock balls in that the manual talked about number 11 on page 21-60. I didn't see a spot for a pin, just the spot in the plate and in the reverse shift head assembly.
Unread 09-24-2008, 08:14 PM   #41
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I only have up to page 34 on that link you showed me. I tried to find it on the net on my own but didn't have any luck. I didn't see anything about those interlocks on the pages I had.

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 09-24-2008, 10:02 PM   #42
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

It's a pretty long manual, I'll try to send it again. You can't expect to get by without it. If my link isn't good, go to this: http://www.billhughes.com/interest.htm and scan down thru it until you find the Jeep/AX15 pdf. Here is the link to the AX15 again: http://www.billhughes.com/temp/AX15.pdf If it isn't coming thru complete, go to the billhughes site...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-25-2008, 08:38 AM   #43
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome thanks man thats what I was looking for the site. thanks again!!!

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 09-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #44
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Wow I finally figured it out. I had to shift the reverse rail and it slid right out. I stood there telling myself "your a idiot" why didn't I try shifting it before. I totally didn't even think about shifting the gears, but I was thinking about how you said it was designed and I thought well if this rail moves so the opening is in the intermediate plate then that gives a place for the ball to go when I move the fifth rail. Oh well first time is gonna take the longest, now I know why. Let you guys know when I get a little further into it.

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 09-25-2008, 10:40 PM   #45
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

That was the part about getting the gears all into "neutral." Glad you didn't use a 3# persuader or you'd be looking for a new intermediate plate. Now just remember to collect all the interlock pins and balls as they drop out (before they drop out) They hide inside the shift rails, and in the intermediate place and walk away when you turn your back. I had to make one I lost from the end of a drill bit.....

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.