Is the AX15 going? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is the AX15 going?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 02-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
50rck
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Is the AX15 going?

I hate to call it a miss because I don't notice the RPM's dropping. It's almost like something is slipping. It started about 6 months ago, but only on a rare occasion. And it only seemed to do it in 3rd gear. Now it does it on most trips, short and long trips as well as when its warmed up or cold. It doesn't do it every time and I can only duplicate it when I'm driving, specifically accelerating. When I'm accelerating it feels like it slips a little in 2nd, 3rd and sometimes in 4th gears. Never in 1st or 5th, and not while I'm traveling at highway speed. I checked and it doesn't show any codes. The clutch and slave cylinder only have about 30k and it's a Luk. The AX15 has never been rebuilt, but I've never had any issues with it. The fluid was changed about 40k ago, and it did have a little of the "cottage cheese" in the old fluid. But it has been fine since. I don't have any issues with shifting or getting into gear. Most of my sensors only have about 30k on them, as I replaced most when I rebuilt the motor. They were replaced with dealer parts, and as I already stated there are not codes. But I won't rule out a sensor reading something improperly. I guess my question is if anyone would think this could be something in the trans going bad? I thought I could rule it out because it shifts normally, but someone else with more experience in the AX15 might have a different opinion. Thanks.

2006 Jeep Liberty. Nothing special, all stock.
50rck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

I would rule out the trans. The symtoms you state are not a trans issue. Its a clutch or random misfire of engine( but 5th would be doing it the worst).
Does your rear main seal leak, could have oil on plates.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Agreed, not symptoms of a tranny issue. Id start suspecting the clutch going away. 1st tends to be pretty low on our Jeeps so you probably won't notice much slipping. Most driving is done between 2nd and 4th so you'll obviously notice a slipping clutch here. 5th gear you're probably not high enough in the RPMs to make much difference.

The missfire problem might be just that- a missfire. Could mean its time for a tuneup.

Sent from a Jeep.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
50rck
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It gets tune up every year, no matter the mileage, and it just had one last week. I was hoping it wasn't the clutch, but maybe that Luk isn't as good as everyone claims. Like I said though, it doesn't feel like a miss, more like something is slipping. No leaks for oil, the motor is actually very clean. All my gaskets only have about 30k on them.

Unread 02-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would inspect the clutch to make sure it's being disengaged properly. Your recent tuneup could also indicate something was missed.. Always do your own work when it comes to these older vehicles, or find someone you trust a lot. Most of the newer mechanics don't now what they're doing.

[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Unread 02-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I agree its the clutch. Might be a glazed flywheel, bad clutch, contamination of the clutch disc by oil or antifreeze, improperly tightened pressure plate bolts, hung up/worn throwout bearing, misaligned clutch fork....

Lots of possibilities with a clutch. Need to get in here and take a look. Soon.
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
50rck
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
I would inspect the clutch to make sure it's being disengaged properly. Your recent tuneup could also indicate something was missed.. Always do your own work when it comes to these older vehicles, or find someone you trust a lot. Most of the newer mechanics don't now what they're doing.

I'm not sure where you got any idea that I don't do my own work.

I'll probably pull the trans once it starts to get warm. This is no longer my DD, just a "get-around-town" car. I've had it for so long I can't bring myself to sell it. I'm just amazed it could be the clutch, but the symptoms are very indicative of it. I've always been able to get well over 100k out of a clutch. Something must have messed this one up.

Unread 02-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well what did you do when you replaced the clutch?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.