AX15 countershaft bearing question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX15 countershaft bearing question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

AX15 countershaft bearing question

I'm trying to diagnose a new noise that started yesterday on my trip to rausch creek. In order to do that, i need a bit of clarification concerning the countershaft bearing in the AX15 transmission. When does the countershaft spin in the bearing? Is it only in 5th gear? is it in 4th AND 5th? what about reverse? Also, would a bad countershaft bearing create noise/grinding/screeching only when pressing the gas pedal (under load)? Would it also make noise letting off the gas while still in gear? Help plz.

PS: I should mention that I had my regear done last weekend. Drove about 60 miles home without issues except for the same sound happening in reverse following the regear. Didnt drive it all week til yesterday's trip to PA. I already called my gear guy but would like to consider all possibilities. I will also make sure to crawl under her to check u-joints n such.

[QUOTE=Anticanman;14148985]If they're gonna bend you over for that much, I'd definitely pay extra for the lube!![/QUOTE]

Jeep Build thread:

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/94-yj-build-thread-1234264/[/url]
stratostix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Countershaft transmits power between gears on the mainshaft in 1, 2, 3, 5, and R. It idles when in 4th (power straight thru the mainshaft). So it is pretty much going to turn against the mainshaft and the bearings while you are driving, all the time.

I don't think this is going to be your mystery sound.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Input bearing possibly. I know the ax15 isn't prone to failure like the wonderful ax5 but that's how they start is a squeaky squeal under load. In my experience all but 5th gear
Unread 09-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies. I'm really hoping that its related to the gears set up (in which case I wouldn't have to open up my wallet) or a u-joint. It's hard to locate the origin of the sound. It feel like its happening on the front driver side in the front pumpkin area and is pretty loud when it happens. I got nothing in 1st, 2nd or 3rd. When I get to 4th i start to hear it occasionally (not always. Heard it more in the morning when we first took off). Regardless of hot/cold, as soon as I put her in 5th gear, I get the grind/screech when pressing gas.

[QUOTE=Anticanman;14148985]If they're gonna bend you over for that much, I'd definitely pay extra for the lube!![/QUOTE]

Jeep Build thread:

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/94-yj-build-thread-1234264/[/url]
stratostix is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.