AX-5 Trans. Fluid change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX-5 Trans. Fluid change

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-08-2011, 06:31 AM   #1
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

AX-5 Trans. Fluid change

Well... I was planning on following the FAQ thread on how to change your trany fluid but I ran in to some time consuming problems.
1-1/2 hours and the only thing I really got done was drinking some beer.

First problem was removing the shift tower to use as the fill port, but you need to first move the TC shifter.
That was a no go. I could only see two up top and 3 on the side to un-bolt but I could only get 4 of them off.
The one I could not budge it’s in a tight spot:7-8jeep-001.jpg

Is that the last bolt to remove to get the TC lever assembly out of the way?

The fill plug is on the Passenger side hard to get to(IDK, might not be as hard as removing the TC lever) thus the idea to use the top shift tower as the fill port.

The drain plug is on the driver side hard to get to.... but what is this plug on the bottom of the trans?7-8jeep-005.jpg
I didn't try to unscrew it figured I'd ask first.

[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
jmmorgan82

It's been a few months since I changed my fluid, but you don't have to unscrew the shift tower to remove the shifter. If you remove the dust cover from the top where the shift lever goes into the tower, you will see a round metal bushing. Press down with your thumbs and turn counter-clockwise at the same time and it will pop loose.
jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
GRYDE001
2008 JK Wrangler 

save yourself some headaches and just go buy a $4 oil hand pump that fits on top of the gall jugs of oil. My trans oil change took all of 15 m inutes, and most of that time was spent draining the old stuff out and pumping the new in.

edit - this method is used when you use the fill plug, not the shift tower for a filling location
Unread 07-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Gottca will try.
Thanks
to both post's

Unread 07-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
Dlambright
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i just used a hose long enough to go from the fill hole to the outside of the tub and stuck the funnel on it. let gravity fill it..takes about 10 min.
Dlambright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2011, 06:23 AM   #6
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks ya'll
I ended up removing the shifter lever per jmmorgan and it worked great! I was able to clean out a little junk off the bottom of the lever and found out the plug at the bottom of the trans is the drain, there is no drain plug at the rear driverside. (or at least I didn't see it)
Now just need to find a rubber boot to replace the trans shift boot cover.

Unread 07-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
jmmorgan82

Glad to hear it worked out for ya!
jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Besides the original, what is best to replace the shift boot cover?
7-11jeep-001.jpg  

Unread 05-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
p0larb3ar

if you want to replace your shift boot I would say invest in a leather boot. First thing I did when I got my 93 was order a black and red boot from redlinegoods.com
http://www.redlinegoods.com/Wrangler8795shiftboot.php

they were a little bit more than the rubber but ive never had issues with it binding up in the winter since rubber gets hard and leather stays suple

just my $0.02
p0larb3ar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0larb3ar View Post
if you want to replace your shift boot I would say invest in a leather boot. First thing I did when I got my 93 was order a black and red boot from redlinegoods.com

they were a little bit more than the rubber but ive never had issues with it binding up in the winter since rubber gets hard and leather stays suple

just my $0.02
Great tip on Red Line leather - hadn't seen that before. Don't need one now, but I filed it away for future reference!
Unread 05-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0larb3ar View Post

just my $0.02
Im sure the person will appreciate your .02 two years after the last post.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #12
p0larb3ar

Well it'll be seen by others too, I learn a lot from just reading the forums old and new
p0larb3ar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.