Ax-5 to Nv3550 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ax-5 to Nv3550 swap

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
jakethejake
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ax-5 to Nv3550 swap

About 500mi now since install and I'm ready to get some easy help.

(will insert detailed background story here, as well as pics. )

-Needing to get about 2 extra on my front driveshaft. I understand I can use two possible shafts. an xj rear shaft or an I6 auto trans front (40?). I assume that i would use a shaft out of an I6 auto yj, but what drive train for the xj rear?

jakethejake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
jakethejake
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Longtime learner, and absorber of knowledge which is due only to the font that is JF. Sorry I've never done an intro. Should get on all that.
Unread 01-07-2014, 11:42 PM   #3
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you can get a good recommendation on a local shop, it is sometimes best to have the shafts lengthened / shortened a needed.
It's a good opportunity to make sure the shafts are good and fix them as needed also - balanced, slip joints are good, replace u joints if needed, service DC joint if needed etc..
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstillatwork View Post
If you can get a good recommendation on a local shop, it is sometimes best to have the shafts lengthened / shortened a needed.
It's a good opportunity to make sure the shafts are good and fix them as needed also - balanced, slip joints are good, replace u joints if needed, service DC joint if needed etc..
Local is good. (Unfortunately, I don't have a good local shop.) I sent my rear shaft to Tom Woods for shortening/balancing. It cost about $120 with shipping both ways. They did a great job. Highly recommended.

I'm not sure a used front shaft is a good value - I'd recommend new if you can afford it. You can get a new DS made to length from Tattons on eBay for about $165. Would have all new u-joints, perfect new slip joint, be the ideal length, etc. Tom Woods is a little more expensive - $190 if my memory is correct. This is for a front shaft, u-joints on both ends (not double cardan).

Others will recommend a used DS - I just like to do things once, and not fiddle with u-joint replacements in 6 months; Or vibes from a worn slip joint; Or deal with damage from a shaft that is too long or too short. There's no right or wrong - it's just whatever you feel comfortable with.
Unread 02-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
jakethejake
1992 YJ Wrangler 

thanks guys, much appreciated. sorry for the long delay in reply, I've been enslaved to a job that makes me miserable. Salt (my yj) has become my therapy, rather than just my DD and a big part of my hobbies. At least, when I'm not on 2 wheels.

i think i'm gonna go ahead with a new shaft. I went with a Tom Woods shaft for the rear, but going better with everything i fix or replace costs more $$. It's the weirdest thing, and tied with a lack of free time for the most annoying part about this stuff.

as for local shops...any shop, or driveline related/specific? just remembered i could always ask my trans guy...he got my clutch, tranny, and some other odds and ends + more knowledge. i'll let you guys know. and hey, might even put up pics and whatnot.

stan, i have a slight feeling i'll be coming to you soon with rear end questions.

thanks!

EDIT: for punctuation

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.