AX 5 myths? -
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX 5 myths?

Summer is Over! Time for a saleIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineIron Rock Offroad products - get them from Kolak!

Unread 07-11-2015, 05:09 PM   #1
1989 YJ Wrangler 
AX 5 myths?

you all say and every other forum says that the ax 5 will not take the 4.0. While it may be true, there seems to be no evidence of this. Simply stated as fact. No one, that I have found, has ever done it. Second Advance Adapters makes a conversion kit to bolt a chev V-8 to the AX 5 see link ( ) Would seem then that the AX 5 could take a Chev. V-8 but not a 4.0. BTW Norvak offers no proof just a statement of fact. Not that I plan on doing this but if it can handle a V-8 , think It could Handle a 4.0 Truth or Myth the AX 5 will not handle the 4.0?

triplej1954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2015, 06:26 PM   #2
You can not make it bolt up easy... SO>.

And stupid **** is made and invented all the time...Dont make it good or right.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2015, 09:09 PM   #3
1995 YJ Wrangler 
Welp Novac says:
The AX5 is prevalent, but sadly it's strength is minimal, making it a questionable off-road transmission. Failures behind even stock engines are not uncommon. We do not make any conversions components available to retain the AX5 with six or eight cylinder engines.

So I guess its tit for tat on how you look at it. Maybe advanced wants the money from unknowledgeable people and novak wants to be honest. Who knows.

Personally, Im scared of my tranny's longevity behind 35's and a 2.5 motor but that's me.
sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2015, 01:30 AM   #4
Typical /F12 Hooligan
2005 LJ Wrangler 
You can't find evidence that an AX5 won't "live" behind a 4.0 because the amount of work it would take to make it fit would be wasted when the transmission grenades.

The AX5 behind a 2.5l on 32s won't hold up for more than a year, (ask me how I know) so if you are the type of guy who has to go against the thousands of years of cumulative knowledge on this and any other Jeep dedicated websites and just have to prove us wrong, go for it. Just don't be ashamed to come back to us and admit we were right about your 25 hour, $500 lesson on why you don't run an AX5 behind a 4.0.

We like out of the box thinking, but your theory is flawed due to your assumption that since someone makes an adapter for it, it's a viable option. After all, late night TV is full of crap that seems legit too.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L, AX5, 2.5" OME 36Rs, Revolvers, 32" Yoko ATs, 4.10 D30/35 Aussie Lockers F/R Busted Knuckles YJOTM Someday
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" 4" RE Lift, 1.25" BL, 35" Goodyear MTS, 4.10 D44 F/R Locked

Luck Favours The Prepared
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2015, 08:24 AM   #5
1992 YJ Wrangler 
ARB makes a locker for the D35........just saying, just because they make it doesn't mean anybody in their right mind will buy it.
92 Rene, 4.5 RE lift, Currie ARB D44, super 8.8 ARB
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2015, 02:59 AM   #6
1991 YJ Wrangler 
Take it from somebody who used to have an AX5, don't even come at me with that argument. Mine went kaboom behind the 2.5 and 33s. There's a reason why I chose the 4.0 when I bought my current YJ.
1991 YJ, bone stock. Starting all over again with another YJ...
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2015, 04:15 AM   #7
1992 YJ Wrangler 
Ax5, 4cyl, 31s... Synchros ***** when shifting.
YnotJ92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.