AX-5 5th gear clip & collar repair without trans removal - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX-5 5th gear clip & collar repair without trans removal

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 05-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #91
Opihi59
from here it gets rough
 
Opihi59's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Beyond Honolulu
Posts: 4,089
Yes to RTV (silicone). There is no question here, use the RTV like you did, let it "dry" generally overnite, then fill it.

__________________
....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #92
1v6pony
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Prescott, Arizona
Posts: 5
Wow thank you for this write up... I have a question, On the lower larger 5th gear. Is it supposed to have play in it, SHould I be able to move it around any???
My clip was in place, the smaller 5th gear is toast and the larger lower gear is a little chiped towards the case on the teeth, but it has play in it....

PS, Where is the best place to buy a manual for this trans.

Thanks for the help.
Brad

1992 Wrangler 2.5 ax5
1v6pony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #93
1v6pony
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Prescott, Arizona
Posts: 5
OK, here is another question, The fith gear and the lower counter gear will they come off towards the back of the case?
Or I should say, will they come off the shafts without haveing to remove all the rest of the gears towards the front of the case?

Does this make since???

Thanks Guys
1v6pony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #94
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear
 
Mean Max's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 13,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1v6pony
OK, here is another question, The fith gear and the lower counter gear will they come off towards the back of the case?
Or I should say, will they come off the shafts without haveing to remove all the rest of the gears towards the front of the case?

Does this make since???

Thanks Guys
They both come off to the rear.

If the countershaft gear (the lower one) has too much play, you'll need a new clamshell bearing.

Get an FSM for a manual.

Max
__________________
Click here to see all of my different albums on Photobucket.
Choose any album to see all of my pics!


Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #95
kyhawk
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: cadiz, ky
Posts: 1
I seem to be having a small problem/problems. I don't know if it's just my luck, but first I couldn't get the skid plate loose due to the bolt free spining(nuts rusted free on the inside of the frame), so I decided to do it without removing it, and lots of fun later I have finished the repair but during reassembly I cannot seem to get the shift fork to drop into the right spot. Do I have it stuck in gear or something becaust for the life of me I cannot get it to line up right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.


Does anyone have any help on this one? I am havng the same issue.
kyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #96
warrior1317
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Versailles, KY
Posts: 2
So last week I lost fifth gear in my AX5. Thinking it was the typical snap ring issue, my dad and I dove into it last night only to discover that the snap ring was still in place. Though it did have some "wiggle" room, there was no obvious sign of wear and tear or problem. Any other thoughts on why fifth gear would go out? Is "wiggle" room enough to lose fifth?
img_2610.jpeg   img_4367.jpeg   img_4524.jpeg   img_5528.jpeg   img_8534.jpeg  

warrior1317 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #97
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear
 
Mean Max's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 13,682
Yes, I've seen this before as well. The fifth gear hub on the cluster shaft (lower shaft) has had it's splines stripped off.

Pull the lower assembly & you'll find your issue.

Max
__________________
Click here to see all of my different albums on Photobucket.
Choose any album to see all of my pics!


Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #98
warrior1317
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Versailles, KY
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max
Yes, I've seen this before as well. The fifth gear hub on the cluster shaft (lower shaft) has had it's splines stripped off. Pull the lower assembly & you'll find your issue. Max
Thanks. Plan on getting back into it tomorrow morning.

Last edited by warrior1317; 08-17-2013 at 04:01 PM..
warrior1317 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #99
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear
 
Mean Max's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 13,682


Max
__________________
Click here to see all of my different albums on Photobucket.
Choose any album to see all of my pics!


Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #100
biggunn
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Allen, Texas
Posts: 27
New to the forum but have referenced it many times over the years. I have to say you guys are absolutely the best. I just did the father/son challenge and rebuilt my son's ax-5 tranny because the synchro's had gone out in all gears but 5th. We re-installed it and everything worked better than it ever had and we were stoked. I guess the strain was too much for the 5th gear snap ring though and after a day of driving it popped out of 5th gear and is difficult to engage. I was glad to see I can repair without dropping the tranny again. I looked for the parts listed earlier in the thread and couldn't find the company so I ordered the parts from http://www.allstategear.com Part numbers are ax5-srk (Snap Ring Kit $10) and ax5-srr (Snap ring retainer $22). Cost with shipping and tax was $48. They are located in San Antonio, TX. Should get the parts on Monday and will already have it apart by then so installing should be a snap. Thank you all for your help. Learned a lot rebuilding my tranny and got to punch a slot on my man card.
biggunn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #101
biggunn
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Allen, Texas
Posts: 27
Hey guys I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I have an ax-5 tranny that we just put new synchros and bearings on. Put it all back together and installed it and it worked perfectly, everything worked well until he went to put it into 5th. I thought the clip must have broke after reading your post (which was great by the way) but when I opened it up everything looks right. When I drove it I could feel it go into the 5th gear slot but it would grind a little and I actually got it in 5th gear but it would easily pop out of 5th gear on it's own. I have all the 5th gear parts on the table in front of me and I cant see any major problems. 1st 2nd 3rd 4th and reverse all work great. when I took the back of the case off I pulled out the 5th gear by hand and it shifted easily. This is my first tranny to rebuild so go easy on me. I can post pics if you need me to show you anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Moved my question to it's own thread. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a.../#post17641129 I don't know how to delete this.

Last edited by biggunn; 11-12-2013 at 10:17 AM..
biggunn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #102
biggunn
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Allen, Texas
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunn View Post
Hey guys I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I have an ax-5 tranny that we just put new synchros and bearings on. Put it all back together and installed it and it worked perfectly, everything worked well until he went to put it into 5th. I thought the clip must have broke after reading your post (which was great by the way) but when I opened it up everything looks right. When I drove it I could feel it go into the 5th gear slot but it would grind a little and I actually got it in 5th gear but it would easily pop out of 5th gear on it's own. I have all the 5th gear parts on the table in front of me and I cant see any major problems. 1st 2nd 3rd 4th and reverse all work great. when I took the back of the case off I pulled out the 5th gear by hand and it shifted easily. This is my first tranny to rebuild so go easy on me. I can post pics if you need me to show you anything. Any help would be appreciated.
I need to add, when I first put it together and tried bench testing it and it wouldn't shift at all. When I turned the shaft I could tell reverse was engaged even though all my rod ends were aligned where the shift leaver goes. I pushed in the reverse rod and it seemed to fall into place like the detent ball was in a bind then everything shifted fine, even 5th so I thought I was good to go. I don't know if that plays into the current problems but wanted to add it just in case.
biggunn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #103
Brad_YJ
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 4
Has anyone ever had a problem with collar?

Hi and thank you all greatly (esp. MadMax and Opihi59)

I had an AX-5 5th gear issue (clip replaced by others several times) & am ready to try the collar.. But after seeing the following post:

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/showthread.php?t=3895

I am curious if anyone has had a problem with the collar failing. It seems like if this were to fail (or loosen over time), there would be serious problems!!!

Do you guys suggest using "locktight" on the collar screws? If so what type?
Also, is there a torque spec for this... I haven't ordered it yet, so I'm not sure if it comes with instructions.

Thanks a bunch!

1995 YJ...
Brad_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #104
Bearybee
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Albany, GA
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_YJ View Post
Hi and thank you all greatly (esp. MadMax and Opihi59)

I had an AX-5 5th gear issue (clip replaced by others several times) & am ready to try the collar.. But after seeing the following post:

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/showthread.php?t=3895

I am curious if anyone has had a problem with the collar failing. It seems like if this were to fail (or loosen over time), there would be serious problems!!!

Do you guys suggest using "locktight" on the collar screws? If so what type?
Also, is there a torque spec for this... I haven't ordered it yet, so I'm not sure if it comes with instructions.

Thanks a bunch!

1995 YJ...
I am considering trading a 2001 WJ for a 95 YJ that does not have 5th gear. I have researched a lot about this the last couple of days and have not come across anyone saying bad things about the collar. The person who made that post on the other forum posted that 10 years ago. I am sure there's been a lot of time for it to show it's ugly face if there was an issue.
Bearybee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2014, 04:47 PM   #105
Opihi59
from here it gets rough
 
Opihi59's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Beyond Honolulu
Posts: 4,089
Brad YJ--Locktite on the fasteners is a good idea. General rule of thumb at least for me is that if I will not have routine/easy access to that particular fastener, it's prolly a good idea to locktite it. That goes for various internal bolts inside transmissions I rebuild, flywheels, etc. For locktite to work properly, you need to have clean/dry threads on both internal and external threads. I use brake cleaner, then compressed air. Repeat as necessary and don't get it in your eyes.
__________________
....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.