AX-5 5th gear clip & collar repair without trans removal - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX-5 5th gear clip & collar repair without trans removal

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 05-11-2011, 07:38 AM   #46
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Actually letting this go can cause further damage to your tranny. the position of the loose 5th gear on the shaft can cause the tranny to get bound up in a hard braking situation. I had the gear slide up and cause a minor bind a couple of times but was lucky enough to not have it break anything. If it were to slide up just a little further it could cause some bad gear breakage.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-little-yj-1127802/
nibstools is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #47
Cheapo64
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Do I really have to...

Hey guys, i learned a lot with this whole thread. However, i really don't wanna take this apart again
My cherokee's hydraulic release bearing was leaking so i bought a new clutch kit from Autozone, which i will never buy duralast again, and went on to put a whole new clutch and everything else. I didn't realize on 4wd models the entire drivetrain has to come down, by myself it took a long time. After putting it back together when it came to bleed the release bearing it started leaking from the clutch housing. Boy, was i pi$$ed. Once again by myself, a couple hours later when i bring the drivetrain down i noticed what was leaking was the diaphram in the bearing. (Now i know why duralast is lifetime) After getting it warranteed i replaced the part and start putting it back together. as soon as it was in place i wanted to hurry and bleed the bearing again without going any further. everything was going well so i went and continued to finishing the job. I went to start it and she was running good, went for a test drive and noticed no 5th gear. Upon reading all these posts i realized i gotta do this job AGAIN. My question to you guys is can i just drive the thing and say screw 5th gear?
I would appreciate any feedback and i thank you in advance
Cheapo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 10:58 AM   #48
Cheapo64
1991 XJ Cherokee 

continued

Some people say screw it some people say i have to fix it...
Unread 06-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #49
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapo64 View Post
.........All the cool people say fix it.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #50
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapo64 View Post
While the fifth gear is bouncing loose on the shaft, there is an outside chance that it can catch on something and cause destruction. The gear is suppose to be at the very front of the shaft in the rear section of the tranny. when the clip breaks it moves towards the rear of the shaft. Under hard breaking the gear slides forward and can come in contact with stuff its not suppose to. I had this happen a few times before I fixed mine. fortunately it never caused any permenant damage for me. But it definately made a sound like a u joint or axle shaft snapping. not fun!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-little-yj-1127802/
nibstools is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #51
Cheapo64
1991 XJ Cherokee 

OK thanks guys...will plan on repairing!!
Once again, thanks and take care!!
Unread 09-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #52
NBFarmboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

hey guys just got my tranny all apart to do this finaly, only to find the snap ring and 5th gear are not broken
They are where they are soposed to be, what else could cause there to be no 5th gear??

Doesn't grind, or make any noise at all and there is no resistance what so ever....
"Bullfrog" 88 XJ 4.0, Doorless, 2" lift, 33-10.5 tires, very cut fenders...
NBFarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #53
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Is there any metal carnage in the bottom of the case? You could have wrung off the splines on the shaft. Does the shift hub move and engage the drive gear for 5th that then spins the driven gear? Did/does the shift fork slip on the shifter shaft, or is it properly in place. Any problems with reverse?

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 09-05-2011, 07:04 AM   #54
NBFarmboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yea I dug in a little more and found the 5th gear counter shaft striped the splines
Grrr of course everywhere is closed till tomorow so no part for me
I cleaned it up and put it back together
I will get the part and do it again someday haha

Stalking your thread from the comforts of my tractor .... seriously!!!!
"Bullfrog" 88 XJ 4.0, Doorless, 2" lift, 33-10.5 tires, very cut fenders...
NBFarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #55
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have experienced exactly that same defect X 2 on a Toyota W50 5 speed. That particular transmission is also Aisin and very very similar to the AX5 including its weaknesses. Of course you will need a new cluster gear, likely a 5th gear, and should put in a rebuild kit while you're at it as well as replacing the snapring while you're in it if you're planning on keeping the Jeep.
The second repair I did on my 81 trans was to take the 5th gear to a machine shop and had them cut me a keyway down the inside of the gear with a wire EDM, then I hand cut a matching keyslot in the shaft with a die grinder/cut off wheel, made a key, put it back together and ran it for years. This was back in 1983.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #56
Cheapo64
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Grrrrrrr...

Well, i took the tranny out and opened it up and saw 5th gear in place with snap ring in place and found the shaft gears in place, fluid was clean and no metal particles at all. I had 5th gear before attempting this project. all i did was put a new clutch assy. don't know what to do at this point...help...lol
I have a couple of pics but cant figure out how to upload them...
Unread 09-13-2011, 11:07 PM   #57
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Establish a free account on an image hosting site, like Photobucket. Upload your photos to that, then post up the IMG codes to your posts.

I'm puzzled here. You likely do not have an AX5 in your rig, but an AX15 which is not plagued by the 5th snapring problem. So I gotta ask a few questions--all you did was take out trans, replace clutch, re-do that, and now no 5th gear? What happens at speed when you attempt to go into 5th--does it seem to shift into the right spot, and when you let out the clutch then nothing? Or what. You say you had 5th before you did this, do you still have reverse? I gotta know more.

Confirm what trans you have. Take a magnet under your rig. See if the magnet will stick to the side of the intermediate plate, that's the 1 1/2 inch thick segment between the rear case and the front case of the trans. Send us some photos, etc. I'll try to help.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #58
Cheapo64
1991 XJ Cherokee 

grrrrrrrr

Yes all i did was remove the tranny and transfercase because i needed to replace the hydraulic bearing release, i had fifth gear before. after the clutch job i put everything back together went for a test drive and at first when i put it in 5th gear i was grinding and i couldnt go in fifth. went back to the shop had lunch then decided to go for another test drive and this time it went in 5th gear but when step on the gas it was like i was in neutral. i went online and found out about the snap ring i9n 5th gear so i took everything apart expecting to see the snap ring broken like earlier posts was saying but found everything in tact. i thought maybe i put the shifter wrong causing it not to go on 5th but there's only one way to put shifter in. don't know what to do at this point, looking for atranny is either difficult or expensive. i'm thinking about putting everything back together and if everything is fine but do not have 5th gear knowing the snap ring is in place, i'll just drive it.
Unread 09-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #59
Cheapo64
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Unread 09-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #60
Cheapo64
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.