AX-5 5th gear clip & collar repair without trans removal - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX-5 5th gear clip & collar repair without trans removal

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right hereJK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.

Unread 09-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #31
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler View Post
I just had a similar problem. I was driving down the freeway in 5th and suddenly there is this loud metal banging sound. I turned off the AC..nothing. if at this point you found that when you gave it any gas it was as if your tranny was in neutral, 5th gear snapring failure could be the problemI grabbed the shifter and its vibrating really badly. I downshifted to 4th...noise stops. Every other gear works but 5th sound like gears are not engaging. This write up sounds like my solution.

Thanks for the info Max.

But it seems like it would be easier to simply remove the transmission by unbolting the bellhousing. Am I wrong?

If not, why is it necessary to remove the shifter, transfer case shifter, and the shifter tower from the gearbox?
Good to get the Tcase shifter out of the way. Of course you can pull the whole tranny and put it on the bench, but if you really don't have to........it can be "fun" to do it this way, sorta like doing your SYE with the T case still installed. I can't answer in regards to the shifter tower.
If it turns out your problem isn't simply the snap ring gone bad and 5th slipped back on the splines, then you've got a larger job and will be pulling the tranny completely, either to rebuild, or replace. Other things known to happen to 5th gear is for it to wring off the splines on the shaft and then just freewheel (grinding) without being able to transmit power when you're in 5th. Another thing can be the gear teeth just grenade, but you'd find a lotta shrapnel in the lube when you drain it. If you find said shrapnel, might as well just pull the whole deal--it has shuffled off it's mortal coil and gone to meet its maker, it is an ex-transmission.

Apologies to John Cleese.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2010, 11:26 AM   #32
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
These parts can be sourced from:
Consolidated Transmissions
2850 W Airport Blvd
Sanford, FL 32771-1610
(407) 321-2055
(800) 578-8726

Ask to speak to Brandon, his family owns & operates Consolidated Transmissions and he will gladly assist you in getting the right parts to get you going!

Max

I just ordered my Collar and snap ring. Thanks again for the info.

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #33
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Got the same trouble, popped the top on the tranny and you can see the gear loose on the shaft but just not enough room to get in to it from the shifter hole. I already have my new collar and am now looking for a warm place to do this operation. January in upstate ny is no place to be tearing this apart in the driveway! Is there any danger to the tranny running it while the gear is free floating in there? Just don't want it to bind up against something and blow out the side!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-little-yj-1127802/
nibstools is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #34
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

great write up! Missed one important step though. there is a small cap on the passenger side, uses a torx (30 or 35, forget which) this holds a small spring and a ball bearing. this acts as a tensioner against the shaft the gear levers ride on. have to take the cap out, spring out and ball out to get the back half of the tranny back on. Use a little heat on the case to get this cap out! Other than that these directions made this project very smooth. great to have 5th gear again. figure I went months with 34" tires and never used 5th. as soon as I regear so 5th is useable again this thing breaks!
photo0797.jpg   photo0800.jpg  

Unread 01-30-2011, 07:51 AM   #35
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I sure did miss that step! Good catch!

Here is the cap/spring/ball that you're referring to. This is an AX-15 in this pic, but it's identical to the one on the AX-5.

It's a detent ball that provides positive engagement for 5th & reverse gears. The spring pushes the ball into the 3 grooves on this shift rail.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 09:51 AM   #36
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Good deal Max now this write up is 100%. Saved me a bunch of time. before I read this I was gonna pull the tranny to fix it on the bench. that would have been so much wasted time!

Unread 01-31-2011, 11:41 AM   #37
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seabee View Post
jeeeezus, you're kidding right?
No. Sadly with my available time to wrench these days... it may be post Obama before I get into this.
Unread 02-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #38
NBFarmboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

just ordered the parts
thanks for posting this up, Thanks MUCH!!!

also on a side note
i asked for Brandon and was told he is no longer with the company, just a piece of info for anyone calling
"Bullfrog" 88 XJ 4.0, Doorless, 2" lift, 33-10.5 tires, very cut fenders...
NBFarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #39
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBFarmboy View Post
also on a side note
i asked for Brandon and was told he is no longer with the company, just a piece of info for anyone calling
Same here. I called to order these parts last week and I found out the same thing.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #40
blade102284
2012 JK Wrangler 

I seem to be having a small problem/problems. I don't know if it's just my luck, but first I couldn't get the skid plate loose due to the bolt free spining(nuts rusted free on the inside of the frame), so I decided to do it without removing it, and lots of fun later I have finished the repair but during reassembly I cannot seem to get the shift fork to drop into the right spot. Do I have it stuck in gear or something becaust for the life of me I cannot get it to line up right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
blade102284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #41
greasyknuckles

I just had the same problem with my 93. Followed this thread and fixed it. Thanks for the pics and input. I was having trouble finding a beefier replacement 5th gear clip, a trip to the dealer lead me to a custom manual trans builder in my area. The guy hooked me up with a clip that he uses in high performance trans. Cheap, Strong, and easy. If you guys are having trouble with the bolt on sleeves, might want to get in touch with a hot rod shop to get a stronger clip. Mine is holding well even after many hard shifts to try it out. Just sayin
greasyknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 01:59 AM   #42
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
No. Sadly with my available time to wrench these days... it may be post Obama before I get into this.
lol damn dude, i got my tranny fixed about a month ago. the whole tranny went.

apparently being lubricated with mud and sand for a year will cause it to freeze in 2nd gear and grenade all over the street.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 05:07 PM   #43
Benaldridgejr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Advice needed.

Great post first off! I need help tho, my 5th gear has a thumping in it like yur always goin over cracks and bumps. I think i have a broken tooth.. Any thoughts or suggestions? I have two used ax-5's also for parts.. If im gonna need em.. One has a bad shift rail the other broke teeth off the front of the main gear cluster.. Help is highly appriciated! Thanks!!
()_) ()_)--o()_)
Benaldridgejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2011, 06:18 AM   #44
scbeer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer
Last time my AX had 5th gear... Bill Clinton was in office.

Hope it's still ok.

Problably lonely.

Overdrive here I come! Thanks again Max. I'll post pictures of my 5th gear adventure.
Been running my YJ as a 4 speed for about 9 years now. This worked with the 33" tires I have been running. I knew the snap ring was the cause but never had the money to throw at a tranny shop to confirm and repair. Will be ordering the parts next week and procrastinate on installing them most of the summer! Great post.
scbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 07:10 AM   #45
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

With all the trouble YJ's are having with 5th, no regear for me.
I'll stick with the slow jeeps up hill.

[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.