JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   AX-5 5th gear clip & collar repair without trans removal (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/ax-5-5th-gear-clip-collar-repair-without-trans-removal-908252/)

Mean Max 11-22-2009 10:32 PM

AX-5 5th gear clip & collar repair without trans removal

This is a write-up on how to install the clip & collar kit on an AX-5 that has lost 5th gear. However, the AX-5 pictured here had much more severe issues & required a full rebuild, but being as I had intended on making this write-up I'll go through the procedure for the benefit of anyone who may need to perform it.

My friend & fellow JF member YJake lost 5th gear on his AX-5 recently. We assumed that he just lost the clip & the gear slid back on the shaft, thus losing it's engagement and resulting in a loss of 5th gear. So he bought the clip & collar kit and we started the repair, with the AX-5 still installed in the Jeep.

First pull the skid plate off, drain the fluids from the transmission & tranfer cases, remove both driveshafts & unbolt the transfer case.

Remove the shifter, transfer case shifter, and the shifter tower from the gearbox.

Remove the bolt from the shifter arm that attaches it to the pivot/slide shaft.

Remove the 2 spring loaded shift detent assemblies.

Remove the allen plug at the rear of the transmission case. This will allow you access to remove the pivot/slide shaft. After removing the pivot/slide shaft you can pull the shifter arm up & remove it from the transmission case.

Now you're ready to remove the rear case cover. There are 7 bolts and 1 nut around the perimeter of the case holding it on.

Okay, so this is a picture of a 2WD AX-5 output shaft from a disassembled gearbox, but it shows the 5th gear shift fork & syncronizer (large diameter gearset at the bottom) and the actual 5th gear (small gear on output shaft) and the clip that is supposed to retain it on the output shaft. The clip on the small gear (5th gear) is the clip that frequently falls off.

When the clip falls off, the small 5th gear will slide back on the shaft & lose contact with the larger counter shaft gear that drives it. This is why 5th gear feels like neutral under those conditions. If there has been no damage to the gears, the 5th gear can be tapped back into place on the shaft & a new clip installed. Installing the aluminum 2 piece collar (shown loosely attached here) will prevent a repeat performance.

As you can see here, this was not an option for us. :(

Reverse the disassembly order to reassemble & refill the transmission with 10W-30 motor oil and ATF in the transfer case.

Hope this helps!

Max :cheers2:

YJake 11-22-2009 10:36 PM

That picture of my ground away gears will haunt me in my sleep for days to come :eek:

turtlerace 11-22-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJake (Post 8341245)
That picture of my ground away gears will haunt me in my sleep for days to come :eek:

We were just kidding with the 'grind 'em til you find 'em' comments.:laugh:

Mean Max 11-22-2009 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJake (Post 8341245)

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtlerace (Post 8341289)
We were just kidding with the 'grind 'em til you find 'em' comments.:laugh:

How's this for carnage? :D

Opihi59 11-23-2009 02:56 AM

Very nice Max !! Post up the source for that 2-piece collar, I know you've done it before, I seem to recall Consolidated Transmissions or something ladat. With this writeup, everyone who owns a wrench should be able to tear the rear of their case off and fix that broken snap-ring/add in the 2-piece collar upgrade without having to pull the whole tranny. :congrats:

Unless of course, they find gear soup in the rear case half like you did. :rofl::rofl:

rustywrangler 11-23-2009 05:10 AM

Is it a similar setup on the AX-15 or totally different???

leroyz71 11-23-2009 06:39 AM

Thanks for the write up!

Opihi59 11-23-2009 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustywrangler (Post 8341932)

There is a snap-ring on the AX 15 which serves the same purpose, but for some reason, it is not prone to breaking like the one on the AX 5. I'm really not sure why, since they look the same to me. Having now said this, I am hoping I don't upset the Karma and have mine implode in the next week or so even though I only have about 18 months on the rebuild I did on it.

Anyone else have any input on this?

Mean Max 11-30-2009 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Opihi59 (Post 8341801)
Very nice Max !! Post up the source for that 2-piece collar, I know you've done it before, I seem to recall Consolidated Transmissions or something ladat. With this writeup, everyone who owns a wrench should be able to tear the rear of their case off and fix that broken snap-ring/add in the 2-piece collar upgrade without having to pull the whole tranny. :congrats:

Unless of course, they find gear soup in the rear case half like you did. :rofl::rofl:
Great memory! The info will be listed below! :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustywrangler (Post 8341932)
Similar yes, but I can't say if the collar will fit the diameter of the AX-15 output shaft. I have an extra collar, so when I tear down the AX-15 I will check it out & report back in this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Opihi59 (Post 8343690)
There is a snap-ring on the AX 15 which serves the same purpose, but for some reason, it is not prone to breaking like the one on the AX 5. I'm really not sure why, since they look the same to me. Having now said this, I am hoping I don't upset the Karma and have mine implode in the next week or so even though I only have about 18 months on the rebuild I did on it.

Anyone else have any input on this?
That's exactly what I have found. It is very common on the AX-5, but the similarly equipped AX-15 doesn't seem to be as prone (if ever?) to having this failure.

Okay guys, here is the info on sourcing the locking collar & clip.

The collar part number is:
AX5SRK

The snap ring (1 required) is:

The replacement gear set (5th gear & counter gear) is:
G525

These parts can be sourced from:
Warehouse Transmission
2850 W Airport Blvd
Sanford, FL 32771-1610
(407) 321-2055
(800) 578-8726

Warehouse Transmission will gladly assist you in getting the right parts to get you going! :thumbsup:

YJake 11-30-2009 04:12 PM

Well done Max!

I'm sure you just saved people thousands of dollars in transmission work at a shop with this thread! :thumbsup:

To whoever does this repair, enjoy it!

Some of us lost a lot of sleep in the process of making this write up :rofl:

Mean Max 11-30-2009 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJake (Post 8383990)
Well done Max!

I'm sure you just saved people thousands of dollars in transmission work at a shop with this thread! :thumbsup:

To whoever does this repair, enjoy it!

Some of us lost a lot of sleep in the process of making this write up :rofl:

Thanks Jake! :thumbsup:

It was a busy weekend, but many lessons were learned & friendships were strengthened. It all makes for a good day! :2thumbsup:

UltimatE 11-30-2009 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mean Max (Post 8341322)
How's this for carnage? :D

Ooohh OOohhh can I play? :teehee:

turtlerace 11-30-2009 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltimatE (Post 8385967)

:rolleyes:That's not carnage, that is a unintentional access port.

Floppy 11-30-2009 08:56 PM

Max, thank you for posting this! When I have some free time I'm probably going to do this on mine. 5th gear is probably useless for me with the new tires but I'd like to fix it anyway.

Matt The Hammer 12-01-2009 12:02 PM

Last time my AX had 5th gear... Bill Clinton was in office.

Hope it's still ok.

Problably lonely.

Overdrive here I come! Thanks again Max. I'll post pictures of my 5th gear adventure.

The time now is 10:00 PM.