AX 15 troubles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX 15 troubles

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 02-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
Gunnrunner99
1993 YJ Wrangler 

AX 15 troubles

Darn thing wont stay in 4th gear when i apply gas even if I hold I it in gear. Has anyone had similar problems? Thanks for any suggestions.

Gunnrunner99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
jhartley
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe a bad syncronizer
jhartley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, 4th gear syncro is my bet.

Time to rebuild.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Don't use 4th gear
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I can't imagine a syncro making it go out of gear, since they only get paid to help you get into gear. You might try a fluid change to some good stuff. I know years ago mine was acting up, I swapped in synthetic fluid, and over a few weeks it cleaned up nicely, lasted years afterword.
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
jhartley
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What would cause it to jump out of gear. The shift ring has to get past the syncronizer to engage the gear, the ring may not be toutching the gear and the syncronizer may be kicking it back out. I hope it's something simple as an oil change, it would be the first thing I would try too
Unread 02-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
Gunnrunner99
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for replying guys.First let me give the paticulars. Tranny has been freshly rebuilt. Not by a professional I have to admit I did it. Followed Moses Ludel 's step by step. New synchros new keys new 5th gear. outside of 4th performs flawless. I must have missed something didn't spit 4th prior to my rebuild. I am stumped. Does anybody have an idea what I missed or messed up? Thanks Fellas.
Unread 02-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
Gunnrunner99
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just a quick question. Will a faulty ECM cause occasional miss fire.ometimes it purrs then out of the blue will miss bad. Kinda smooths out at about 1500 rpm. Damn thing is like being in love a beautiful woman that just happens to be crazy as hell. You keep thinking i can love her all better.
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
jhartley
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I used Moses's guide too my 2nd gear is a little stiff I'm hoping it will get better as the weather gets warmer has it done this since you installed the tranny. May remove the shift boot and see if it stays in 4th
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
jhartley
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have any codes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.