AX-15 Trans Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX-15 Trans Question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 02-20-2010, 09:04 AM   #1
DDove
1994 YJ Wrangler 

AX-15 Trans Question

I found an older ax-15 still mounted to a np24tc at a bone yard for 150. I checked the number on the trany and it appears to be out of a early or late 1980's wrangler. I cant be sure. It feels good and it seems the gears are good. My question is: Is there really any way to "check" that tranny. I would just keep the tc as a spare or whatever. I have a 94 2.5 that 5 gear is gone and the syncros in third are shot. Do I get the collar, clip and syncros for my ax-5 or go with the ax-15. Im I just band-aiding the ax-5. As always thanks alot the help.
ps. I do know for sure that it is out of a wrangler not anything else
again thanks

DDove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Moved to your own thread for ya.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDove View Post
I found an older ax-15 still mounted to a np24tc at a bone yard for 150. I checked the number on the trany and it appears to be out of a early or late 1980's wrangler. I cant be sure. It feels good and it seems the gears are good. My question is: Is there really any way to "check" that tranny. I would just keep the tc as a spare or whatever. I have a 94 2.5 that 5 gear is gone and the syncros in third are shot. Do I get the collar, clip and syncros for my ax-5 or go with the ax-15. Im I just band-aiding the ax-5. As always thanks alot the help.
ps. I do know for sure that it is out of a wrangler not anything else
again thanks
FYI your 4 banger is an AX-5. The swap can be made with a bell housing from a Dodge Dakota with the 2.5 in it.
The AX-5 is a weak tranny.
The AX-15 didn't appear in the Wrangler until very late '89 early '90. Before that it was the BA10/5. The spline count is different.
The BA10/5 and AX5 are both 21 spline, and the AX15 is 23, so if you replace the tranny with an AX15, you will need an NP231-J transfer case. Not the np207 or np231/amc. they are both 21 spline and will not work with the AX15.
Hope that helps.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
FYI your 4 banger is an AX-5. The swap can be made with a bell housing from a Dodge Dakota with the 2.5 in it.
The AX-5 is a weak tranny.
The AX-15 didn't appear in the Wrangler until very late '89 early '90. Before that it was the BA10/5. The spline count is different.
The BA10/5 and AX5 are both 21 spline, and the AX15 is 23, so if you replace the tranny with an AX15, you will need an NP231-J transfer case. Not the np207 or np231/amc. they are both 21 spline and will not work with the AX15.
Hope that helps.
interesting, I didn't think you could use an ax-15 behind a 2.5L. Good to know.
Unread 02-23-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhouse View Post
interesting, I didn't think you could use an ax-15 behind a 2.5L. Good to know.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/2...mplete-659386/

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post

You're FAST!!
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #7
DDove
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. This site is the BEST!!!
DDove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #8
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDove View Post
Thanks. This site is the BEST!!!
Yes, it is!

You can check the age of the transmission.

The AX-15 production date location is on the bottom where the tranny mount bolts up.

The "304" means '93 (the "3" part) and it was built in April (the "04" part) then the "8152" is the production code number.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.