ax-15 swap question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ax-15 swap question

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-28-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
coupleofjeeps
1992 YJ Wrangler 

ax-15 swap question

I'm buying a rebuilt ax-15 (94-95, external slave) to swap in my 92 Yj. I don't have the time or means to rebuild mine myself, although I'd love the challenge. I'll be doing the swap myself, so my question is:

What else should I consider for this process? I know I need the external slave itself... but seals, or anything else while i'm all tore up??

Thanks in advance...

HIS - 92YJ - mildly built - oh the places we'll go...
HERS - 2002 WJ Overland
coupleofjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 12:51 PM   #2
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just did it the swap.

I purchased the Master/slave filled and pre-bleed unit. We were slowed down by that alot. The new master would not fit into the present master cylinder position on the firewall. We modified the new master cyclinder to mount on the present firewall studs.

The new master would not work with my clutch pedal either. The pin on the clutch pedal that attaches to the master cylinder ram was too big, so we drilled the master cylinder ram hole out also.

some careful and precision drilling required.

Of course we replaced the clutch disc, pilot bearing and clutch spring housing too.

Are you getting the ax15 with the proper bell housing setup?
Unread 08-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
coupleofjeeps
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Did you have the ax15 already? I believe my model year, 92, should be a pretty direct swap. Only difference I can find from reading threads is slave (interval vs. external) everything else should be pretty direct bolt application. I hope at least...

HERS - 2002 WJ Overland
Unread 08-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #4
hardluk
1987 YJ Wrangler 

What motor do you have?
hardluk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
coupleofjeeps
1992 YJ Wrangler 

4.0 i6

HERS - 2002 WJ Overland
Unread 08-29-2014, 06:48 PM   #6
coupleofjeeps
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Any other thoughts?

HERS - 2002 WJ Overland
Unread 08-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #7
hardluk
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yes it bolts up. There is a parts list in the stickies.
hardluk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #8
HuggyBear911
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just did the swap myself...I'm assuming you have a Peugeot BA-10? I got all the conversion stuff from Advance Adapters (AA) and it was an easy process; but not cheap. I think the kit I got cost about $500 from them and includes everything you might need for the swap (less clutch stuff).

AA has the slave and line that works with your exiting clutch master cylinder...or you can modify what you have as already suggested. The trannys are the same length, but the mounting bolts are about an 1.5" further back...again you can get an adapter plate from AA or modify your skid plate (I got the adapter plate). I also got the AA transfer case adapter, but I have read the original can be modified to fit too.

A lot depends on how much you want to spend and how much time and energy you want to invest modifying stuff.
Unread 08-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #9
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggyBear911 View Post
...I'm assuming you have a Peugeot BA-10? .....
If he's got a '92 and the 4.0, he's already got an AX-15. I'm pretty sure the only real "modification" happening here is the external slave, he just happens to be swapping the entire thing including trans. (If I'm understanding it correctly)
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.