AX-15 swap question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX-15 swap question

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 11-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
Moparguy45
1995 YJ Wrangler 

AX-15 swap question

I have read alot of peoples swap from AX-5 to AX-15 and have a few questions that havent been answered.
1. Why cant i use the 2.5 dakotas pilot bearing and sleeve in my wranglers 2.5 instead of a custom setup?
2. Is the cherokee t-case also different from the wrangler t-case and would still need to be reclocked?
3. Will stock 4.0 ax15 231 driveshafts work or do i have to get custom drivshafts?
4. Why do some people have to cut their floors to make the shifter fit?
5. Is the ax5 tcase shift linkage able to adjust to work with the ax5 and if not will cherokee linkage work?
6. Will the 4.0 clutch disc work or does it have to be a 84 4 cyl camero?
7. What is the prefered fluid for the ax-15? Jeep says 75w-90 but i have read people use 10w-30 engine oil

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Moparguy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
psyco31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparguy45
I have read alot of peoples swap from AX-5 to AX-15 and have a few questions that havent been answered. 1. Why cant i use the 2.5 dakotas pilot bearing and sleeve in my wranglers 2.5 instead of a custom setup? 2. Is the cherokee t-case also different from the wrangler t-case and would still need to be reclocked? 3. Will stock 4.0 ax15 231 driveshafts work or do i have to get custom drivshafts? 4. Why do some people have to cut their floors to make the shifter fit? 5. Is the ax5 tcase shift linkage able to adjust to work with the ax5 and if not will cherokee linkage work? 6. Will the 4.0 clutch disc work or does it have to be a 84 4 cyl camero? 7. What is the prefered fluid for the ax-15? Jeep says 75w-90 but i have read people use 10w-30 engine oil Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
A few answers are

1: the shaft on the ax-15 is fatter and the pilot bearing is bigger then the one for the. Ax-5.
2: the NP 231 is basically the same for borne the wrangler and the Cherokee. Minor differences come in to okay for the t case vacume switch and speedo gear but that's an easy replacement
3 I used my stock rear and front drive shafts when I swapped out my 2.5 w/ ax 5 and t case in my 89 yj for a 91 xj 4.9 and ax-15 and np 231. So e people di say they have to shorten their read drive line and lengthen their front drive line. Or go to the junk yard and buy ones for a yj that had a 4.0 and ax-15
4: newer xj set-ups have a different shifter set-up from the old way especially going from newer xj to older yj. People have to trip up the hole a little
5: your old linkage is to short. Get the linkage with the swap and u may have to do some small modifications or adjustments
6: don't know
7: they are pretty much the same viscosity so people go by preference if I'm. Not mistaken
psyco31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
Moparguy45
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyco31 View Post
A few answers are

1: the shaft on the ax-15 is fatter and the pilot bearing is bigger then the one for the. Ax-5.
2: the NP 231 is basically the same for borne the wrangler and the Cherokee. Minor differences come in to okay for the t case vacume switch and speedo gear but that's an easy replacement
3 I used my stock rear and front drive shafts when I swapped out my 2.5 w/ ax 5 and t case in my 89 yj for a 91 xj 4.9 and ax-15 and np 231. So e people di say they have to shorten their read drive line and lengthen their front drive line. Or go to the junk yard and buy ones for a yj that had a 4.0 and ax-15
4: newer xj set-ups have a different shifter set-up from the old way especially going from newer xj to older yj. People have to trip up the hole a little
5: your old linkage is to short. Get the linkage with the swap and u may have to do some small modifications or adjustments
6: don't know
7: they are pretty much the same viscosity so people go by preference if I'm. Not mistaken
Ok so
1. I still dont know why if the dakota had a 2.5 i cant remove the wranglers bushing and sleeve and install the dakota 2.5 bearing and sleeve
2. So with a 96 xj trans and t case with my 95 yj will i have to redrill the extension housing
5. Will cherokee tcase linkage work in a yj?
Unread 11-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
psyco31

U should be able to use the linkage from the Cherokee. U may just have to modify it a little. As per drilling the extension housing. I am not sure on what u mean by that
Unread 11-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
Moparguy45
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
U should be able to use the linkage from the Cherokee. U may just have to modify it a little. As per drilling the extension housing. I am not sure on what u mean by that
I read a few write ups where the guys said they had to re clock the t-case on cherokee ax15s 10 degrees but never gave an explanation why they did it. i figured it was due to the wrangler skid
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
psyco31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparguy45
I read a few write ups where the guys said they had to re clock the t-case on cherokee ax15s 10 degrees but never gave an explanation why they did it. i figured it was due to the wrangler skid
Not sure on that

I used the ax-15 and the np231 t case from a Cherokee and put it in my 89 yj and had no real issues. I did have to modify my skid plate. By drilling new holes where the tranny bolts down to. But I think most people have had to do that
Unread 11-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
Moparguy45
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not sure on that

I used the ax-15 and the np231 t case from a Cherokee and put it in my 89 yj and had no real issues. I did have to modify my skid plate. By drilling new holes where the tranny bolts down to. But I think most people have had to do that
Ok thats good hear. What clutch setup did you use?
Unread 11-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
psyco31

I didn't change my clutch. But I also put a 4.0 l in it at the same time that came with the ax-15.
Unread 11-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
psyco31

Hopefully your ax-15 is a newer set up than mine. I got a 91 and it has the internal clutch slave cylinder and when that goes out u got to drop the whole tyranny to replace it. I had to do it twice in one year. ( it wasn't installed right)
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
Moparguy45
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hopefully your ax-15 is a newer set up than mine. I got a 91 and it has the internal clutch slave cylinder and when that goes out u got to drop the whole tyranny to replace it. I had to do it twice in one year. ( it wasn't installed right)
Its a 93 xj 4.0 ax15 231 powertrain im getting but have a 96 external ax15 for parts. Is it easy to put in a 4.0 into a 2.5 jeep wrangler?
Unread 11-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
psyco31

It depends on how mechanically inclined u are. Wiring harnes switch is a pain in the ***. I used the xj harness engine harness and the yj inside harness part. I had to swap a lot of wires around. I learned that the bulk head connector diagram for both years is a life saver.. U have to grind off the old motor mounts from the 2.5 l and either re use them or get the yj 4.0 l engine mounts and weld them in the new locations. A lot of write ups on it in this forum. I ment to do one but always forgot to do pictures. A lot of guys used their 2.5 l engine harness and just added the extra two fuel injector wires( there are a few write ups in here on that). This seems to be the easiest way. Just get the xj harness for the extra wires. I caught my old harness on fire so I didn't have that choice. Now if your not that mechanically inclined then I would say go for it anyway. You will learn a lot. You will have allot of aggravation but when u figure it out it is great. You will truly appreciate your jeep. There are a lot of guys on this forum that will help u out when u run into a road block also

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.