AX-15 Shifts No More - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX-15 Shifts No More

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-25-2011, 11:34 PM   #16
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
I also have a tendency to "rig for silent running." Meaning I go overboard and fix everything in the system. When I bought my first Jeep and drained the tranny, I got choc. milk/mocha coffee out of it. I pulled it out and rebuilt the entire thing because I didn't know how long it had been that way.

Depending on budjet, resources and time though I am sure you'll make the choice that works for you the best. It's good to have Max onboard though.
It is, and he and I are in contact. Will keep you apprised...............

plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #17
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Max has given me the low down (thanks again, Max!!!) in terms of the part numbers I need. In case anyone is interested, they are:

Fifth gear counter P/N 52132.03 (quantity 1)
Fifth gear syncro key P/N 52124.94 (quantity 3)
Fifth gear syncro spring P/N 52154.03 (quantity 2)
Fifth gear bearing P/N 52141.03 (quantity 1)
Fifth gear syncro sleeve P/N 52124.53 (quantity 1)
Fifth gear syncro ring P/N 52125.10 (quantity 1)
Unread 07-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #18
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It's been a while since I've been able to worry about this as my son and I were out west hunting dinosaurs.

Good news: my repair parts have arrived from good old Southwest Gear (thanks again, Max).

Here is a picture of my new fifth gear/syncro assembly shining like Iron Man's palm:

img00783-20110715-0601.jpg

Hopefully repair operations can begin again next week.
Unread 07-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #19
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds great! Please keep the thread updated!

Like Opihi59 said, transmissions are really wonderful pieces of machinery! One of these days I want to assemble an AX5 or AX-15 in a plexiglass case so I can sit it on a bench & use it to demonstrate the wonderful dance that exists between all the components while it's in operation.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 10:19 PM   #20
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Sounds great! Please keep the thread updated!

Like Opihi59 said, transmissions are really wonderful pieces of machinery! One of these days I want to assemble an AX5 or AX-15 in a plexiglass case so I can sit it on a bench & use it to demonstrate the wonderful dance that exists between all the components while it's in operation.

Max
Will do!

That would be very cool, especially if you could see what happens when you shift.
Unread 07-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #21
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plym49
That would be very cool, especially if you could see what happens when you shift.
Precisely why I want to do it! I've even considered using a small electric motor to power the input shaft combined with something resembling a bicycle rear coaster style wheel hub. Then I could momentarily kill the power to the electric motor to release the load from the input shaft, much like pressing the clutch pedal releases the load from the engine while shifting.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 08-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #22
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Back on line! The repairs took a while due to various vacation and travel schedules. Plus, everything was done a couple of weeks ago and on the test drive after a few miles the clutch failed, with brake fluid dripping out from the bellhousing. Yes, a factory defective slave cylinder. As a precaution since everything was apart, we installed a new clutch kit: dick, pressure plate and throwout bearing/slave cylinder. Upon removal and inspection, the new slave had a hairline crack in the housing from the manufacturer.

Returned that to the jobber and got a new one. Put it together, but just let the tranny hang on 2 bolts with everything else still not buttoned up (Jeep was no a lift). Tested the new slave - and again, a leak after repeated applications. Took it apart and - another crack; here was another defective part right out of the box. At this point we figured that we should either reinstall the original, used part (all the original clutch parts we removed looked fine), or get a different brand replacement as we did not want to risk getting another bad part out of what seemed to be a defective lot.

We found a different brand, it all went together, it was again tested before buttoning everything up, and I am happy to say that everything is fine. I put about 50 miles on it today, and the transmission shifted more smoothly than before.

One thing very important with a situation like this is: friends! Whether thru the forum or in person, friends help you get it done. Special thanks to Max, who provided great insights as to the internals of the AX-15, and my best friend whose repair shop did the repairs (and who also lent me his own Jeep so I could complete a scheduled trip with a fully loaded trailer). What a difference friends make.
Unread 08-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #23
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Glad you got it sorted out! Hope I helped at least a little!

I know what you mean about the slave. I just went through that same scenario with defective slaves (from Autozone) but nailed it on the 3rd time. I told the owner of the YJ that I was going to leave the bellhousing bolts out & just use velcro on it.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 08-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #24
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Glad you got it sorted out! Hope I helped at least a little!

I know what you mean about the slave. I just went through that same scenario with defective slaves (from Autozone) but nailed it on the 3rd time. I told the owner of the YJ that I was going to leave the bellhousing bolts out & just use velcro on it.

Max
You helped quite a bit, for which I am extremely grateful.

I wonder what caused the synchro hub to fail in the first place. Could it have been abuse from a prior owner?

The top (shifter) seal was MIA, and when I first got the Jeep and changed the fluids, the tranny fluid was milky (so there was water in there once). Would that have had an untoward affect on the synchro hub? I kind of doubt it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.