Ax-15 Pilot Bearing Removal ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ax-15 Pilot Bearing Removal ?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-10-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
tonloc152
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ax-15 Pilot Bearing Removal ?

I am trying to remove/replace the pilot bearing in my ax-15 as part of my clutch replacment. "IT WONT COME OUT". What the hell do I do. I have beentrying the grease trick to no avail. Please help.

Tony

tonloc152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

beat it out with a hammer. use a socket slightly smaller so you beat it out evenly and not cock-eyed.
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #3
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

What you need is a puller. Either one made specifically for pilot bearings or a generic blind bearing puller - the blind bearing puller comes in a couple of varieties, the most common is sometimes called a hammer-puller or slide-hammer-puller & is similar to a dent puller with hook ends that catch the inside edge of the pilot bearing and then you tap it out with a slide hammer.

You should be able to get one of these from a rental place or find a parts store or garage that has a tool-loan program. NAPA has this program in some areas or can recommend where to go. If you get yourself one that's specifically made for pilot bearings, get the person at the desk to give you a quick demo of how it's used.

DO NOT hammer it in further with a socket or anything else - you'll just create some much larger headaches.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2007, 07:56 PM   #4
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

i've hit bearings out of a dozen or so flywheels like i described above with no problems. sure the right tool makes the job easier most of the time, but it isn't always necessary....
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

Unread 04-10-2007, 08:13 PM   #5
WCoon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Mine was disintegrated, so I had to use a small angle grinder and a small bit. I just got it thin enough that I could use a flat head and bend it in half, then pull it out. I did buy a tool with a grease fitting on one end before I dropped the trans. I guess you're supposed to hammer it in, then pump grease into it until it shoots out.
WCoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2007, 08:16 PM   #6
teqmod

Pack it full of grease and find a drift close to the diameter of the input shaft. Hammer in the drift and it will push out the pilot bearing with no damage to the crank.

91/93 YJ's merged 4.0L ax-15 8.8 w/Detroit TB spacer SOA SuperShortSYE
01 Cherokee stock
03 Yamaha R1 "Couldn't catch it if you tried"

teqmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2007, 08:26 PM   #7
Ares
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Pilot bearing issue addressed about half way down

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...ight=AX15+swap

Axle Information Thread
Oil Filter Study
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2007, 08:54 PM   #8
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

I just punched a pilot bearing out of a flywheel earlier today - used a 3/4" birch dowel
molsenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2007, 06:54 PM   #9
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-n-Broke-YJ
i've hit bearings out of a dozen or so flywheels like i described above with no problems. sure the right tool makes the job easier most of the time, but it isn't always necessary....
Maybe I'm not understanding what you were describing. I thought you were suggesting he take a socket and pound that bearing farther into a blind hole & I couldn't see how that was going to get it out. If you were to pound it in as far as it would go, you might need some fancier machine tools to remove the pilot bearing - a bushing even more so because it isn't as brittle as a multi-piece bearing.

The bearing is in the crankshaft, not the flywheel.
Unread 04-11-2007, 11:15 PM   #10
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

i thought we were discussing the bearing in the flywheel.... isn't a pilot bearing the name of the bearing in the flywheel? or am i totally mistaken and wrong? if thats the case my apologies for adding confusion to the thread....

Unread 04-12-2007, 05:14 AM   #11
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-n-Broke-YJ
i thought we were discussing the bearing in the flywheel.... isn't a pilot bearing the name of the bearing in the flywheel? or am i totally mistaken and wrong? if thats the case my apologies for adding confusion to the thread....

No you've got the right one. He just hasn't taken the flywheel off.

Come to think of it, this would have saved me about 2 hours last time I did it. It would be much simpler to take the flywheel off and pound it out if you have trouble extracting it with the flywheel in place.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 08:30 AM   #12
Ustabearenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i had to use a very small 2 finger puller. It is not however one of those ones you can rent - or at least they didnt have any around here. I tried the grease and dowel / drift method didnt work for me.
Unread 04-12-2007, 03:23 PM   #13
Tim Berry
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Flywheel on - flywheel off - - - will not matter. It's in the crank.
Unread 04-12-2007, 05:47 PM   #14
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Berry
Flywheel on - flywheel off - - - will not matter. It's in the crank.
Thanks, I thought maybe I'd missed some strange variations of this engine. HERE's an article on clutch replacement (this is for an M678, but the general layout is the same for the pilot bearing) & in the 5th picture down, you can see the flywheel bolted to the rear of the crankshaft and in the center of the crank, you can see the hole that contains the pilot bearing.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.